Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Oakland A's to explore relocation possibilities

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Oakland A's to explore relocation possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    If they move to NC it will be Charlotte
    Doubtful.

Just as Nashville, with three Major Franchises in tow, the corporate/population demographics are not there to support four major league franchises. IMHO, though, it's a moot point - the A's franchise will remain out West, it's just a question of where.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-11-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Sacramento. They'll retain the east bay fans, plus add fans up and down the central valley. Sac currently has a AAA stadium that could be used while a proper major league park is constructed.
    With the future Sacto MLS franchise in question, that could well happen. But I can't envision Sacramento landing both MLS and MLB.

Any talk of San Jose throwing their proverbial hat into the ring?
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Austin/San Antonio is the other domestic location that makes the most sense to me...

6. Likes:

podgejeff_ (05-11-2021),Tom Servo (05-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Austin/San Antonio is the other domestic location that makes the most sense to me...
    Good call.

For all practical purposes, that's considered as one market today. That said, San Antonio screwed the pooch by failing to design/construct the Alamodome to MLB specs, as the focus at the time was on attracting an NFL franchise - A poor idea from the get-go. Otherwise, they may well have secured one of the four '93/'98 MLB expansion franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Sounds like just a power play but i'd love to see this happen. Bring them to Raleigh please. I really don't have much sympathy for any area that has not 1 but 2 teams locally while we sit in a hotbed of baseball fandom that doesn't have a MLB team closer than 4 hours away.
    Whether it's future expansion or relocation, IMHO, it's a matter of when, not if, an MLB Triangle franchise comes to fruition. You're absolutely right about triangle baseball fandom - I lived in Cary from '88 -'07 - and it's one of the largest markets with only one Major League franchise.

But, as I previously stated in a previous thread, a Triangle MLB franchise would assuredly end the iconic Durham Bulls as a minor league franchise, which would be sad.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    With the future Sacto MLS franchise in question, that could well happen. But I can't envision Sacramento landing both MLS and MLB.

Any talk of San Jose throwing their proverbial hat into the ring?
    San Jose is where they should go, but the A's ownership (foolishly) deeded the rights to Santa Clara county to the Giants in the 1990s

Austin/San Antonio is the only mid to large market that would avoid creating another small market team

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    San Jose is where they should go, but the A's ownership (foolishly) deeded the rights to Santa Clara county to the Giants in the 1990s

Austin/San Antonio is the only mid to large market that would avoid creating another small market team
    Austin also happens to be the fastest growing big city in the country. San Antonio isn't far behind.

Hey, how about Philadelphia?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

13. Likes:

Big Klu (05-11-2021),Tom Servo (05-11-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Hey, how about Philadelphia?
    Or Kansas City!
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Before Charles Finley ended up moving the A's to Oakland, he signed an agreement to move them to Louisville. They would have become the Kentucky Athletics.

It got shut down by the owners.

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-12-2021)

Brooklyn!

18. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (05-12-2021),SomeCallMeTim (05-12-2021)

Hanover/Lebanon/White River Jct is a metropolis waiting to be tapped! The Maxfield Sports Complex is just waiting and is clear upgrade over the Coliseum!

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Sacramento. They'll retain the east bay fans, plus add fans up and down the central valley. Sac currently has a AAA stadium that could be used while a proper major league park is constructed.
    MLB would probably kibosh that as well.
    Go Gators!

vegas is going to steal another team away from oaktown (is my guess).

22. Likes:

Banshee (05-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Whether it's future expansion or relocation, IMHO, it's a matter of when, not if, an MLB Triangle franchise comes to fruition. You're absolutely right about triangle baseball fandom - I lived in Cary from '88 -'07 - and it's one of the largest markets with only one Major League franchise.

But, as I previously stated in a previous thread, a Triangle MLB franchise would assuredly end the iconic Durham Bulls as a minor league franchise, which would be sad.
    The Bulls are always one of my first thoughts when discussing MLB in the triangle and yes, it would likely result in significant changes for them, whether it be the team physically moving or becoming a lower classification.

Anyone who discredits the Raleigh area as a real player in professional sports expansion doesn't know what's really going on around here. The area is booming. Raleigh was listed as a the second fastest growing metro in the US last October, only behind Austin. Apple has just announced a billion dollar campus at RTP. While the western side of the area - Cary, Morrisville, Durham, Chapel Hill etc. has done its growing (though Durham almost stands alone as it continues to grow) its the eastern side with Johnston County that is seeing just ridiculous amounts of growth. This area could 100% support another professional sports team.

Baseball is a way of life around these parts and the states ability to support 12 minor league teams, two of them AAA proves that point. NC has some of the nicest lower ball stadiums i've seen. While a stadium like Zebulon (Mudcats), Hickory (Crawdads), Asheville (Tourists) is what you typically get for a A/A+, stadiums like Winston Salem (Dash), Kannapolis (Cannon Ballers), Fayetteville (Woodpeckers) are ridiculously nice for lower affiliates. Sure those three stadiums are all fairly new but they're much nicer than your average A/A+ ballpark. A MLB team would be incredibly popular for the area. We manage to support an NHL team and I wouldn't consider the area to be a hotbed of hockey fans.

24. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-12-2021),RollyInRaleigh (05-12-2021)

Turn Off Ads?