Kraftwerk was/is awesome.
    Wir sind die Roboter
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Rock & Roll HOF Inductees announced

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Kraftwerk was/is awesome.
    to each his own, music isnt something we an quantify for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    For me, when ALL a band is is influential...what do we have?

The Beatles were awesome, had success, and were influential.
    The last two I'll give you- success and influential- but they were not awesome in the musical sense. They were very good songwriters, had a stroke of good luck when they emerged when they did, but man, as a musician I find their musical skills cringeworthy. I always thought this, and then I read Quincy Jones' interview a few years back, and that sealed it.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    The last two I'll give you- success and influential- but they were not awesome in the musical sense. They were very good songwriters, had a stroke of good luck when they emerged when they did, but man, as a musician I find their musical skills cringeworthy. I always thought this, and then I read Quincy Jones' interview a few years back, and that sealed it.
    Ah...you're confusing complexity with what is "good."

Sort of the Joe Bonomisso is better than Taylor Swift argument, right? (Joe Bonamisso is a better guitar player, but he doesnt make better music....)

I could teach you to play "She's Got a Way" by Billy Joel on the piano in about a day. Easy.

And it's better than Kraftwerk...some of the best songs ever written are simple.

The Beatles may not be great musicians, but my "awesome" comment was merely that they made incredible pop music.

6. Likes:

texasdave (05-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Ah...you're confusing complexity with what is "good."

Sort of the Joe Bonomisso is better than Taylor Swift argument, right? (Joe Bonamisso is a better guitar player, but he doesnt make better music....)

I could teach you to play "She's Got a Way" by Billy Joel on the piano in about a day. Easy.

And it's better than Kraftwerk...some of the best songs ever written are simple.

The Beatles may not be great musicians, but my "awesome" comment was merely that they made incredible pop music.
    I wasn't referring to complexity at all. I don't go all gaga by guitar stars, and don't need to be impressed by some guy shredding. But you did nail one thing- it was pop. I would much rather hear "Angie" by the Stones, or the soulful intro of Stormy Monday by the Allmann Brothers, or the amazing guitar of Jimi Hendrix on Hey Joe. None of those songs are difficult at all, but they draw people in a different way than the Beatles. It's probably because of the stronger blues influence.

Just an observation and there is no right answer. Like Ginger and Mary Ann, most people are Stones or Beatles.

I wasn't referring to complexity at all. I don't go all gaga by guitar stars, and don't need to be impressed by some guy shredding. But you did nail one thing- it was pop. I would much rather hear "Angie" by the Stones, or the soulful intro of Stormy Monday by the Allmann Brothers, or the amazing guitar of Jimi Hendrix on Hey Joe. None of those songs are difficult at all, but they draw people in a different way than the Beatles. It's probably because of the stronger blues influence.

Just an observation and there is no right answer. Like Ginger and Mary Ann, most people are Stones or Beatles.
    For me, the Stones way better than the Beatles. We agree.

I'll throw out a fun question: I played pretty much for a living for 14 years, and played every venue you can possibly imagine in probably 12 countries that I can think of. Can you guess the most requested song I got of all time? It was requested by young people old people, people in bars and on the street, in schools, in concerts, you name it. The only clue is that it was written before 1980.

I'll throw out a fun question: I played pretty much for a living for 14 years, and played every venue you can possibly imagine in probably 12 countries that I can think of. Can you guess the most requested song I got of all time? It was requested by young people old people, people in bars and on the street, in schools, in concerts, you name it. The only clue is that it was written before 1980.
    Ave maria

Free Bird?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Satisfaction
    Go Gators!

Hang on sloopy? There are OSU fans and alumni everywhere.

If I'm allowed a second guess, Sweet Caroline.
    Last edited by paintmered; 05-22-2021 at 08:14 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Happy Birthday?

Nope, you'd never guess. It's "Horse With No Name". It's probably the simplest song in the history of music, with only two simple chords. There is something about it that resonates with people. It has nothing to do with the lyrics because few people spoke english anyway, but if I played it once, they would ask for it over and over. Neil Young's Heart Of Gold was another one.

Would have never guessed that song
    Go Gators!

Nope, you'd never guess. It's "Horse With No Name". It's probably the simplest song in the history of music, with only two simple chords. There is something about it that resonates with people. It has nothing to do with the lyrics because few people spoke english anyway, but if I played it once, they would ask for it over and over. Neil Young's Heart Of Gold was another one.
    Surprising! Though "Sister golden hair" is actually my favorite song.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Turn Off Ads?