Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll HOF Inductees announced

Re: Rock & Roll HOF Inductees announced

The 2022 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees include Dolly Parton and A Tribe Called Quest

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/02/enter...cec/index.html

Full list of 2022 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees:
    Asterisks mark first-time nominees.
    Beck*
    Pat Benatar
    Kate Bush
    DEVO
    Duran Duran*
    Eminem*
    Eurythmics
    Judas Priest
    Fela Kuti
    MC5
    New York Dolls
    Dolly Parton*
    Rage Against the Machine
    Lionel Richie*
    Carly Simon*
    A Tribe Called Quest*
    Dionne Warwick
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    The 2022 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees include Dolly Parton and A Tribe Called Quest

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/02/enter...cec/index.html

Full list of 2022 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees:
    Asterisks mark first-time nominees.
    Beck*
    Pat Benatar
    Kate Bush
    DEVO
    Duran Duran*
    Eminem*
    Eurythmics
    Judas Priest
    Fela Kuti
    MC5
    New York Dolls
    Dolly Parton*
    Rage Against the Machine
    Lionel Richie*
    Carly Simon*
    A Tribe Called Quest*
    Dionne Warwick
    This is Duran Duran's first nomination? That's been a long-time coming.

I've got tickets to see Judas Priest in April. My wife is already shopping for spandex and Aqua Net.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

4. Likes:

goreds2 (02-02-2022),KittyDuran (02-02-2022),Revering4Blue (02-02-2022)

I might have to celebrate but I should wait for the induction .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-02-2022),goreds2 (02-07-2022),marcshoe (02-02-2022),Revering4Blue (02-02-2022),The Operator (02-03-2022)

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

So, perhaps a stupid question: once nominated, is the process of getting inducted in any way like baseball's HoF? More specifically: is there some stigma/power-trip aspect with voters who won't let you in on the first ballot because that's reserved for super duper mega all-stars, or they like to keep classes "balanced" so there's always an obvious headliner to draw eyeballs and sell tickets instead of just cramming multiple big acts into one year? Or are they more chill, and if you deserve it, you just go in immediately?

Looking at the names not in the HoF, but not on their first nomination, either, I assume there's at least SOME of the former going on.

From that list, I'd sign off on: Priest, Benetar, and the MC5 as priorities before the first timers. Maybe RatM and Devo, too, for being "best in niche" (perhaps "INVENTING the niche," or at least "mainstreaming the niche"?) acts. But before all is said and done, Duran Duran and Lionel Richie have to be HoF'ers eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    So, perhaps a stupid question: once nominated, is the process of getting inducted in any way like baseball's HoF? More specifically: is there some stigma/power-trip aspect with voters who won't let you in on the first ballot because that's reserved for super duper mega all-stars, or they like to keep classes "balanced" so there's always an obvious headliner to draw eyeballs and sell tickets instead of just cramming multiple big acts into one year? Or are they more chill, and if you deserve it, you just go in immediately?

Looking at the names not in the HoF, but not on their first nomination, either, I assume there's at least SOME of the former going on.

From that list, I'd sign off on: Priest, Benetar, and the MC5 as priorities before the first timers. Maybe RatM and Devo, too, for being "best in niche" (perhaps "INVENTING the niche," or at least "mainstreaming the niche"?) acts. But before all is said and done, Duran Duran and Lionel Richie have to be HoF'ers eventually.
    If you have SiriusXM Radio, Eddie Trunk is a good listen this time of year. He is on the channel VOLUME. Eddie loves to rant about the Hall and also has a voting ballot. He will tell you his votes and will take suggestions from listeners.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Rage should absolutely get in. Rage Against the Machine, Evil Empire, and Battle of Los Angeles are all incredible albums.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

General thoughts on the nominees:

Beck - Should be a slam dunk. He's been a critical darling and moved mad units. Would mark out if he played "Debra" at the induction ceremony.

Pat Benatar - I was surprised she didn't get in two years ago. Seems inevitable. Really should make it this time given the tenuous rock 'n' roll credentials of many other nominees.

Kate Bush - Falls into the "but is she rock 'n' roll" category. I lean toward no.

DEVO - Despite its location, the RnRHOF as an institution seems to have it in for Ohio bands. Not even Wild Cherry has gotten inducted.

Duran Duran - Is there a 1980s without Duran Duran? They weren't my thing, but I don't understand what the argument against them would be.

Eminem - They're inducting rappers on the regular and he's a titan. Will be shocked if he doesn't make it.

Eurythmics - Always felt like more of a commercial than a band to me. I know that's not fair. Oh well.

Judas Priest - They defined heavy metal. Still churning out blistering stuff (I've been trying to catch up on their last 20 years). The Hall is a lesser place until they gain entry.

Fela Kuti - I know he originated afrobeat, but I think Youssou N'Dour is better. Seems like the kind of steeped-in-legend, non-obvious pick the critics gravitate toward.

MC5 - Small catalog. Overrated, legendary, influential and forgotten. Weird band. Would not be my pick.

New York Dolls - Prefer them to the MC5. Wrote better songs. First choice if you want to tear down the house with a cover. Also, David Johansen's acceptance speech would be amazing.

Dolly Parton - A hard no for me. Not even in the realm musically speaking. Fully expect her to get in and I'll be happy for her if she does.

Rage Against the Machine - They're iconic and the RnRHOF keeps having them induct other bands. At some point it's awkward if they don't make it.

Lionel Richie - Got in with the Commodores, which he deserved. I consider his solo work to be adult contemporary. Theoretically would open the door for Peter Cetera and Michael McDonald, and I can't deal with any of that.

Carly Simon - No.

A Tribe Called Quest - So much flow. Along with De La Soul, Tribe seems to be the rap act other rap acts wish they could be. Won't get in because no way are the principal voters that cool.

Dionne Warwick - Universally beloved. Good for her if she gets in. But Burt Bacharach songs really shouldn't be the gateway to this institution.

They call me "chef"

What a crash back down to earth for Beck. His last two records have killed that excitement I’d get in anticipation of a new record.

It's a Rock and roll HoF, not music HoF. Folks like Dolly Parton aren't R&R so on that basis she shouldn't get in but of course on that basis she shouldn't have been nominated

13. Likes:

Chip R (02-08-2022),Dom Heffner (02-08-2022),Tony Cloninger (02-08-2022)

Even though its called the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, it has morphed into the music Hall of Fame so its hard to exclude just because an artist isn't a "rock and roller." That being said, there are plenty of bands/artists who are rock and rollers that aren't even nominated that should be in before this list.

15. Likes:

Chip R (02-08-2022),goreds2 (02-05-2022),Revering4Blue (02-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    General thoughts on the nominees:

Beck - Should be a slam dunk. He's been a critical darling and moved mad units. Would mark out if he played "Debra" at the induction ceremony.

Pat Benatar - I was surprised she didn't get in two years ago. Seems inevitable. Really should make it this time given the tenuous rock 'n' roll credentials of many other nominees.

Kate Bush - Falls into the "but is she rock 'n' roll" category. I lean toward no.

DEVO - Despite its location, the RnRHOF as an institution seems to have it in for Ohio bands. Not even Wild Cherry has gotten inducted.

Duran Duran - Is there a 1980s without Duran Duran? They weren't my thing, but I don't understand what the argument against them would be.

Eminem - They're inducting rappers on the regular and he's a titan. Will be shocked if he doesn't make it.

Eurythmics - Always felt like more of a commercial than a band to me. I know that's not fair. Oh well.

Judas Priest - They defined heavy metal. Still churning out blistering stuff (I've been trying to catch up on their last 20 years). The Hall is a lesser place until they gain entry.

Fela Kuti - I know he originated afrobeat, but I think Youssou N'Dour is better. Seems like the kind of steeped-in-legend, non-obvious pick the critics gravitate toward.

MC5 - Small catalog. Overrated, legendary, influential and forgotten. Weird band. Would not be my pick.

New York Dolls - Prefer them to the MC5. Wrote better songs. First choice if you want to tear down the house with a cover. Also, David Johansen's acceptance speech would be amazing.

Dolly Parton - A hard no for me. Not even in the realm musically speaking. Fully expect her to get in and I'll be happy for her if she does.

Rage Against the Machine - They're iconic and the RnRHOF keeps having them induct other bands. At some point it's awkward if they don't make it.

Lionel Richie - Got in with the Commodores, which he deserved. I consider his solo work to be adult contemporary. Theoretically would open the door for Peter Cetera and Michael McDonald, and I can't deal with any of that.

Carly Simon - No.

A Tribe Called Quest - So much flow. Along with De La Soul, Tribe seems to be the rap act other rap acts wish they could be. Won't get in because no way are the principal voters that cool.

Dionne Warwick - Universally beloved. Good for her if she gets in. But Burt Bacharach songs really shouldn't be the gateway to this institution.
    The Let it roll podcast recently had two hours on MC5 and the Dolls, good stuff, good podcast

http://www.letitrollpodcast.com/

17. Likes:

M2 (02-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

Interesting, inconsistent takes. Praising neglected NY Dolls (Years later) is predictable virtue signallling. They were ignored Because they were too “gay” for audiences outside NY. Critisizing MC 5 for being nameDropped too often (years later) is also virtue signalling. No sonic youth or Husker du without them.
    People like to rag on NYC for their recurring cultural scenes each decade, but judging music trends through indistinct cultural indices betrays true Music appreciation. Johansson, Reed, Fred Sonic Smith, Anderson Are R n R icons.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Interesting, inconsistent takes. Praising neglected NY Dolls (Years later) is predictable virtue signallling. They were ignored Because they were too “gay” for audiences outside NY. Critisizing MC 5 for being nameDropped too often (years later) is also virtue signalling. No sonic youth or Husker du without them.
    People like to rag on NYC for their recurring cultural scenes each decade, but judging music trends through indistinct cultural indices betrays true Music appreciation. Johansson, Reed, Fred Sonic Smith, Anderson Are R n R icons.
    Always liked the Dolls better, all the way back to my youth (and where I come from no one ever ignored the Dolls, so I've got no clue what you're talking about there). Johnny Thunders was a walking hook. Johansen's a force of nature. I don't think MC5 ever put out a record close to as good as the two Dolls albums. That not even a criticism, most bands haven't. So, I am judging the music, and the Dolls were better. TBH, I don't think there's much of an argument there. Dolls covers are a cheat code for live sets if you instantly want to get a crowd amped. And then there's the influence part of it. With the acknowledgement that all musical genres have a varied lineage, the Dolls can be listed on the punk rock family tree under "mom." The New York scene sprang from their womb and Malcolm McLaren used them as the prototype for the Sex Pistols.

And I thought it was pretty clear I was recognizing MC5 as a band that occupies two sides of a lot of coins - overrated/legendary, influential/forgotten. There's no question that they're a touchstone for a whole lot of bands. Yet they were also uneven. That's not a secret. Half of any MC5 record is pretty clunky. They were trying to reconcile the hippie sound with their noise instincts and a harder blues edge and it didn't always come together. They're a pick up the needle band. Drop the stylus on "Rocket Reducer No. 62" and it's nothing but joy, but I don't want to have to slog through "Borderline" to get there. So they wouldn't get my vote. If you're going to have a small output, it better be unimpeachable. I can make that case for the Dolls. I can't for MC5 much as I love some of their songs.

Just anecdotal: that is not my preferred type of music - I have never heard of MC5, I know who the New York Dolls and Johansen are.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

21. Likes:

Chip R (02-08-2022),Revering4Blue (02-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Just anecdotal: that is not my preferred type of music - I have never heard of MC5, I know who the New York Dolls and Johansen are.
    I would think that's pretty common.

Turn Off Ads?