Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll HOF Inductees announced

Re: Rock & Roll HOF Inductees announced

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    The last two I'll give you- success and influential- but they were not awesome in the musical sense. They were very good songwriters, had a stroke of good luck when they emerged when they did, but man, as a musician I find their musical skills cringeworthy. I always thought this, and then I read Quincy Jones' interview a few years back, and that sealed it.

Paul McCartney is a musical genius man!

I love QJ but he must have met them before 1966. Paul and George were good musicians. Paul especially. But sure they were not Stones or of course The Who. The Yardbirds type of rock musicians.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I have to admit that I only looked into MC5 because FSS was from West Virginia and spent a bit of time here with Patti (no relation) after they were married. Always seemed a bit incongrouis, and that's a good thing.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's a Rock and roll HoF, not music HoF. Folks like Dolly Parton aren't R&R so on that basis she shouldn't get in but of course on that basis she shouldn't have been nominated
    I think I agree with this. They started a slippery slope.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Just anecdotal: that is not my preferred type of music - I have never heard of MC5, I know who the New York Dolls and Johansen are.
    I think 'Kick Out the Jams' made it onto a Guitar Hero game and I would guess that's how most people our age would be familiar with them...

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I think 'Kick Out the Jams' made it onto a Guitar Hero game and I would guess that's how most people our age would be familiar with them...
    Presidents of the United States of America.

Not gonna complain this thread lead me to this video tonight. What a lineup around Kramer!

8. Likes:

M2 (02-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Presidents of the United States of America.
    Blue Oyster Cult has a red hot live version of it too. That's the first version of it I heard (same side of the Some Enchanted Evening album with "Godzilla" and "Don't Fear the Reaper"). Buck Dharma lights it on fire.

The more time that passes, the more I love that TPOTUSOA record.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

Larry Schuler (02-08-2022),Revering4Blue (02-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Not gonna complain this thread lead me to this video tonight. What a lineup around Kramer!

OMG, Zen Guerrilla was part of that super-weird Philly scene in the early '90s with Ween. I haven't thought of that band in ages.

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-09-2022)

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

14. Likes:

M2 (02-11-2022),Revering4Blue (02-14-2022)

Dolly Parton Vows To Make A Rock Album If She's Inducted To Rock Hall

https://www.iheart.com/content/2022-...line3_readmore

While Parton is no rocker, her influential status as a country legend and beloved pop culture figure make her Rock Hall induction seem more or less inevitable.

"I was absolutely floored when I heard that," Parton told Billboard. "I've never thought of myself as being rock 'n' roll in any sense of the word — but I guess they judge it on music and the influence certain songs have had, and I guess I've had songs with other people in that realm. But I don't know how they judge that.

"I'm not expecting that I'll get in. But if I do, I'll immediately, next year, have to put out a great rock 'n' roll album — which I've wanted to do for years, like Linda Rondstadt or Heart king of thing. So this may have been just a God-wink for me to go ahead and do that. It's just nice to be nominated."

Parton is currently (as of 10 a.m. February 14) fourth in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's fan polling, behind Eminem, Duran Duran and Benatar. You can check latest fan-polling numbers here.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The Let it roll podcast recently had two hours on MC5 and the Dolls, good stuff, good podcast

http://www.letitrollpodcast.com/
    Oh man. The MC5. I saw them once. It was a outdoor music festival up at Ohio State. I think it was on the oval.

My then-girlfriend (future ex-wife) went to school there and I was up to “visit”. We were wandering around campus and stumbled upon a big crowd. It was a music festival with a bunch of very loud bands and MC5 was there, ear splitting but at that age, I thought it was cool. So MC5 came on and they were doing the kick out the jams m-f’ers and I think John Sinclair did some big political rant. Which again at that age and Viet Nam war era, I thought was cool. So we’re sitting off to the side of the crowd and I notice the clouds. Thry looked like they were boiling. And suddenly, I could see the music in the sky like big waves. And the trees off in the distance were flaming and I felt very… odd. So I ask my girlfriend if she sees the same stuff and she said yeah, I dosed us with some microdot. Ohhhh, I see.

So we watched the rest of the concert and I thought MC5 was the most amazing thing I’d every seen/heard but that was because I was tripping my ass off. Turned out to be very visual and powerful and we just wandered around after the concert and just did things tripping people did. It was quite the day.

So, several days later, I decided to buy an MC5 album. I listened to it and thought “I thought these guys were good?” Some interesting protopunk but at that age, they just seemed bad. I think I have the album down in my basement stacks.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

17. Likes:

goreds2 (02-14-2022),M2 (02-17-2022),RFS62 (02-14-2022),westofyou (02-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Dolly Parton Vows To Make A Rock Album If She's Inducted To Rock Hall

https://www.iheart.com/content/2022-...line3_readmore
    Not for nothing, but shouldn't the process be that you have to make RnR records before you get into the RnRHOF?

19. Likes:

Chip R (02-28-2022),goreds2 (02-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Oh man. The MC5. I saw them once. It was a outdoor music festival up at Ohio State. I think it was on the oval.

My then-girlfriend (future ex-wife) went to school there and I was up to “visit”. We were wandering around campus and stumbled upon a big crowd. It was a music festival with a bunch of very loud bands and MC5 was there, ear splitting but at that age, I thought it was cool. So MC5 came on and they were doing the kick out the jams m-f’ers and I think John Sinclair did some big political rant. Which again at that age and Viet Nam war era, I thought was cool. So we’re sitting off to the side of the crowd and I notice the clouds. Thry looked like they were boiling. And suddenly, I could see the music in the sky like big waves. And the trees off in the distance were flaming and I felt very… odd. So I ask my girlfriend if she sees the same stuff and she said yeah, I dosed us with some microdot. Ohhhh, I see.

So we watched the rest of the concert and I thought MC5 was the most amazing thing I’d every seen/heard but that was because I was tripping my ass off. Turned out to be very visual and powerful and we just wandered around after the concert and just did things tripping people did. It was quite the day.

So, several days later, I decided to buy an MC5 album. I listened to it and thought “I thought these guys were good?” Some interesting protopunk but at that age, they just seemed bad. I think I have the album down in my basement stacks.
    Good times...

Inside the NBA is broadcasting from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame tonight. ( Halftime and Postgame on TNT )

Cheech Marin Makes ACase Why He & TommyChong Should Be In TheRock & Roll Hall Of Fame

https://hollywoodlife.com/2022/02/18...ame-interview/

“We should be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Don’t you think?” he asks. And suddenly, it seems that Cleveland should be the next place Muncheechos opens up because Cheech and Chong’s induction to the Rock Hall of Fame makes perfect sense. The duo’s first four albums – Cheech & Chong, Big Bambu, Los Cochinos, and Cheech & Chong’s Wedding Album – were certified Gold in the U.S. by the RIAA. Their 1973 single, “Basketball Jones,” not only featured George Harrison, Billy Preston, Darlene Love, Michelle Philips, and Carole King, it was also a Billboard Top 20 hit.
    More in the link above.

Turn Off Ads?