Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brian Rey

Re: Brian Rey

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Cool. Challenge thy hitters. Hopefully he can continue his success.
    Keep in mind he was promoted because LOU was short OF'ers due to the Reds injury callups, which forced Crook being promoted from AA to AAA.

Not to take anything away from what Rey is doing, just pointing out the reason why he was promoted wasn't necessarily due to how well he's hitting at the moment.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Keep in mind he was promoted because LOU was short OF'ers due to the Reds injury callups, which forced Crook being promoted from AA to AAA.

Not to take anything away from what Rey is doing, just pointing out the reason why he was promoted wasn't necessarily due to how well he's hitting at the moment.
    On the flip: they may have just seen it as a good opportunity to move Rey up to AA. Crook is a nothing, might as well move him up to AAA and insert Rey into AA lineup to test him.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    On the flip: they may have just seen it as a good opportunity to move Rey up to AA. Crook is a nothing, might as well move him up to AAA and insert Rey into AA lineup to test him.
    But that isn't what happened. They needed an outfielder to move up from AA to AAA and from A+ to AA in a cascading move. He was the most logical choice over the other outfielders in A+ at the moment. It just happens to correspond with him hitting at the moment.

He's going to move from primary 2Bman in A+ to RF'er in AA for the time being.

1-2 with 3 HBP last night! Tough way to get on base 4 times...

Brian Rey kind of fascinates me as a prospect. He doesn't walk enough, certainly, but adds to his BB total by having a penchant for getting hit by pitches often enough that his OBP isn't completely BA-dependent. He also doesn't K much at all (though that has crept up to 15% in AA). He's got pop and a fairly decent hit tool. In 2019, he torpedoed his prospect valuation by throwing a show in a 16-game A+ debut, then came back early this season to add more than 200 points to his wRC+ in a 13-game cup of coffee before being challenged with AA.

He began his AA season mired in a pretty horrid slump. (4 for his first 31 equates to a .129 BA in his first week of AA games. That span included one extra base hit-- a double-- in total. Oof.) June was serviceable, if underpowered: .282/ .337/ .385/ .722.

In July, after a 10-day IL stint, Rey's gone on his second tear of the season. .364/ .419/ .455/ .873 in just 16 games. He's again showing power and has pushed his AA numbers to a 110 wRC+ in 45 games and just under 200 PAs. Including the monster two-week stretch in A+ puts his yearly numbers at .326/ .375/ .507/ .882, all while playing errorless CF in 13 games and 2B.

At this point, I like Rey as a multi-position backup with pop off the bench. I think he's a 15-20 HR middle of the field defender with an outside shot at more, if given the majority of the ABs at either CF or 2B. The BB rate is a real worry, but his HBP numbers should mitigate some of that risk. There are multiple guys in the system right now who may provide similar (or better) numbers-- India at the major league level, Schrock, Blandino, and Lopez on the I-71 shuttle, Barrero in AAA, Urbaez in low A, draftees McLain and Torres. He's likely to get lost a bit in the shuffle. But he shouldn't, especially as a CF-capable utility bat.

Moving forward, I'm hoping he gets to display his utility at the OF corners and perhaps 3B. (His scouting reports suggests he's got a decent arm, and he played SS in college.) He struggled picking up the ball in LF in 2019, but in limited innings this year hasn't made an error yet. If he has the arm for RF (even as a backup), that's a four-position backup with some interesting offensive numbers.

7. Likes:

DocRed (08-02-2021),RedsfaninMT (08-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Brian Rey kind of fascinates me as a prospect. He doesn't walk enough, certainly, but adds to his BB total by having a penchant for getting hit by pitches often enough that his OBP isn't completely BA-dependent. He also doesn't K much at all (though that has crept up to 15% in AA). He's got pop and a fairly decent hit tool. In 2019, he torpedoed his prospect valuation by throwing a show in a 16-game A+ debut, then came back early this season to add more than 200 points to his wRC+ in a 13-game cup of coffee before being challenged with AA.

He began his AA season mired in a pretty horrid slump. (4 for his first 31 equates to a .129 BA in his first week of AA games. That span included one extra base hit-- a double-- in total. Oof.) June was serviceable, if underpowered: .282/ .337/ .385/ .722.

In July, after a 10-day IL stint, Rey's gone on his second tear of the season. .364/ .419/ .455/ .873 in just 16 games. He's again showing power and has pushed his AA numbers to a 110 wRC+ in 45 games and just under 200 PAs. Including the monster two-week stretch in A+ puts his yearly numbers at .326/ .375/ .507/ .882, all while playing errorless CF in 13 games and 2B.

At this point, I like Rey as a multi-position backup with pop off the bench. I think he's a 15-20 HR middle of the field defender with an outside shot at more, if given the majority of the ABs at either CF or 2B. The BB rate is a real worry, but his HBP numbers should mitigate some of that risk. There are multiple guys in the system right now who may provide similar (or better) numbers-- India at the major league level, Schrock, Blandino, and Lopez on the I-71 shuttle, Barrero in AAA, Urbaez in low A, draftees McLain and Torres. He's likely to get lost a bit in the shuffle. But he shouldn't, especially as a CF-capable utility bat.

Moving forward, I'm hoping he gets to display his utility at the OF corners and perhaps 3B. (His scouting reports suggests he's got a decent arm, and he played SS in college.) He struggled picking up the ball in LF in 2019, but in limited innings this year hasn't made an error yet. If he has the arm for RF (even as a backup), that's a four-position backup with some interesting offensive numbers.
    Agree....and its why I started this thread. After a deathly start at AA he has quietly come back with a respectable slash line of .291/.359/.378. I watched a video this year of his improved swing mechanics and he's got more size and pop than ppl are giving him credit for and the form to suggest future power. I think he can easily hit 15-20 at the MLB level. I think a target of 2023 is not unreasonable. Really rooting for him. I could be dead wrong...but its fun to speculate...

Turn Off Ads?