Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1005

Thread: Covid-19, Part XIII

  1. #991
    Corky is The Way Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    This extends to all things...
    Posts
    2,086

    Re: Covid-19, Part XIII

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    We control the sale of alcohol and ban the sale of many other drugs. We ban the sale of many drugs without a prescription. We ban all sorts of stuff, quite successfully. We stop things all the time, quite successfully. It is delicate to know what to stop and what not to stop, but we are rational, intelligent beings. We make rational disticintions all the time.

    If you believe it is essential to educate people, then you should understand the importance of stopping the spread of lies. How can we educate anyone, when they are being fed known lies that harm them? Eliminating the lies should go hand and hand with education.
    I'm so tired of the "that's a slippery slope" assertation being misused whenever someone else points out potential consequences down the road. You know what? Many times it actually is a slippery slope. Actions. have. consequences. Many of which can grow exponentially.

    If I roll a small snowball down a hill and it grows 100 times its size by the time it reaches the bottom, that's not a slippery slope falacy. That's a slippery slope!

    And here is something else. Many times a lie turns out to be the truth.

    July 2020: "Fauci is lying!"
    July 2021 (leaked emails): Oh wow. He actually was lying about quite a few things.

    No offense, and totally off topic, but I recommend that you practice a few mental exercises that work the part of your brain that thinks a few moves ahead about things. Chess is pretty good for that. Because your short-sightedness here, and on quite a few other topics, is staggering. Seriously.

    It's like the guy who wants to kill all of the mosquitos because they are annoying and they spread disease. Or the guy who thinks "if you aren't doing anything wrong, then you should have nothing to hide."

    Consequences aren't always tit for tat. And again, many times they roll down the slippery slope, growing exponentially.

    It's one thing to be wrong. That's fine. But your kind of wrong here is historically (and currently) a REALLY dangerous way of thinking. Over, and over again.

    I'll end with this: How can people be educated about what is "wrong" when it is censored before given the chance to be heard?
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 07-22-2021 at 10:44 AM.
    “You are not Atlas carrying the world on your shoulder. It is good to remember that the planet is carrying you.”
    ― Vandana Shiva


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #992
    Member BernieCarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    1,438

    Re: Covid-19, Part XIII

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    We control the sale of alcohol and ban the sale of many other drugs. We ban the sale of many drugs without a prescription. We ban all sorts of stuff, quite successfully. We stop things all the time, quite successfully. It is delicate to know what to stop and what not to stop, but we are rational, intelligent beings. We make rational disticintions all the time.

    If you believe it is essential to educate people, then you should understand the importance of stopping the spread of lies. How can we educate anyone, when they are being fed known lies that harm them? Eliminating the lies should go hand and hand with education.
    And yet, all of these things that are regulated and or banned are still killing hundreds of thousands every year. And now you are talking about regulating the media. Who exactly is going to eliminate the lies? Who will be in charge of that?

  4. #993
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,522

    Re: Covid-19, Part XIII

    Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Who exactly is going to eliminate the lies? Who will be in charge of that?
    "Scientists"

  5. #994
    Corky is The Way Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    This extends to all things...
    Posts
    2,086

    Re: Covid-19, Part XIII

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    "Scientists"
    “You are not Atlas carrying the world on your shoulder. It is good to remember that the planet is carrying you.”
    ― Vandana Shiva

  6. #995
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,522

    Re: Covid-19, Part XIII

    Facebook would have banned Galileo.

  7. Likes:

    Bob Sheed (07-22-2021),Sea Ray (07-22-2021)

  8. #996
    Member BernieCarbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    1,438

    Re: Covid-19, Part XIII

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Facebook would have banned Galileo.
    Well, he needed to be stopped.

  9. #997
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    9,983

    Re: Covid-19, Part XIII

    I don’t know who should regulate it, but society will straight up not continue to functionally exist with any kind of real stability if the kind of fake news and misinformation on social media isn’t clamped down somehow.

    We have more anti-vaxxers now than we did 10 years ago. Like 90% of registered members of 1 of our 2 major political parties thinks the election was fraudulent and stolen and are willing to take violent means to “correct” it.

    All of this nonsense is happening precisely because of the fake BS info that’s spread around on Facebook and Twitter or etc. The **** that I just mentioned is only going to get worse unless they do something to clamp down on it. As in, I don’t think we will have a functional democracy eventually.

  10. #998
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,522

    Re: Covid-19, Part XIII

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Like 90% of registered members of 1 of our 2 major political parties thinks the election was fraudulent and stolen and are willing to take violent means to “correct” it.
    I think you need to meet more Republicans as this sounds like some serious disinformation spread on Facebook and Twitter.

  11. Likes:

    Sea Ray (07-22-2021),Thisyear (07-22-2021)

  12. #999
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    9,983

    Re: Covid-19, Part XIII

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I think you need to meet more Republicans as this sounds like some serious disinformation spread on Facebook and Twitter.
    Sorry my bad, it’s “only” two-thirds

    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/mee...306#blogHeader

  13. #1000
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,522

    Re: Covid-19, Part XIII

    And those two-thirds are all willing to take violent action to "correct" it? Hell, only 29% said they would never accept Biden as president according to what you just posted. I suspect that's much lower than a similar poll would show among a different party from 2017.

  14. #1001
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,522

  15. #1002
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    9,983

    Re: Covid-19, Part XIII

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    And those two-thirds are all willing to take violent action to "correct" it? Hell, only 29% said they would never accept Biden as president according to what you just posted. I suspect that's much lower than a similar poll would show among a different party from 2017.
    You’re right, this is no big deal at all. Nevermind the fact that all the “other party” did in Jan 2017 was fecklessly protest with pink hats on, compared to the Republicans who stormed the capitol in Jan of this year ready to zip tie our senators and and hold mock trials to sentence them to hangings.

    Totally the same thing. For sure nbd.

  16. #1003
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,522

    Re: Covid-19, Part XIII

    2/3 of Republicans stormed the Capitol? That must have been something.

  17. #1004
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    9,983

    Re: Covid-19, Part XIII

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    2/3 of Republicans stormed the Capitol? That must have been something.
    Yes that’s exactly what I said is that literally two thirds of all republicans showed up to DC on January 6th, this whole bit totally isn’t belaboring the exact way I articulated that just to obfuscate the point.

  18. #1005
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,522

    Re: Covid-19, Part XIII

    You said 90% of Republicans were willing to use violent means to overturn the results of the election in an argument against misinformation. If you want me to use your exact argument.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator