Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1005

Thread: Covid-19, Part XIII

Re: Covid-19, Part XIII

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    We control the sale of alcohol and ban the sale of many other drugs. We ban the sale of many drugs without a prescription. We ban all sorts of stuff, quite successfully. We stop things all the time, quite successfully. It is delicate to know what to stop and what not to stop, but we are rational, intelligent beings. We make rational disticintions all the time.

If you believe it is essential to educate people, then you should understand the importance of stopping the spread of lies. How can we educate anyone, when they are being fed known lies that harm them? Eliminating the lies should go hand and hand with education.
    I'm so tired of the "that's a slippery slope" assertation being misused whenever someone else points out potential consequences down the road. You know what? Many times it actually is a slippery slope. Actions. have. consequences. Many of which can grow exponentially.

If I roll a small snowball down a hill and it grows 100 times its size by the time it reaches the bottom, that's not a slippery slope falacy. That's a slippery slope!

And here is something else. Many times a lie turns out to be the truth.

July 2020: "Fauci is lying!"
    July 2021 (leaked emails): Oh wow. He actually was lying about quite a few things.

No offense, and totally off topic, but I recommend that you practice a few mental exercises that work the part of your brain that thinks a few moves ahead about things. Chess is pretty good for that. Because your short-sightedness here, and on quite a few other topics, is staggering. Seriously.

It's like the guy who wants to kill all of the mosquitos because they are annoying and they spread disease. Or the guy who thinks "if you aren't doing anything wrong, then you should have nothing to hide."

Consequences aren't always tit for tat. And again, many times they roll down the slippery slope, growing exponentially.

It's one thing to be wrong. That's fine. But your kind of wrong here is historically (and currently) a REALLY dangerous way of thinking. Over, and over again.

I'll end with this: How can people be educated about what is "wrong" when it is censored before given the chance to be heard?
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 07-22-2021 at 10:44 AM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    We control the sale of alcohol and ban the sale of many other drugs. We ban the sale of many drugs without a prescription. We ban all sorts of stuff, quite successfully. We stop things all the time, quite successfully. It is delicate to know what to stop and what not to stop, but we are rational, intelligent beings. We make rational disticintions all the time.

If you believe it is essential to educate people, then you should understand the importance of stopping the spread of lies. How can we educate anyone, when they are being fed known lies that harm them? Eliminating the lies should go hand and hand with education.
    And yet, all of these things that are regulated and or banned are still killing hundreds of thousands every year. And now you are talking about regulating the media. Who exactly is going to eliminate the lies? Who will be in charge of that?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Who exactly is going to eliminate the lies? Who will be in charge of that?
    "Scientists"

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    "Scientists"
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Facebook would have banned Galileo.

7. Likes:

Bob Sheed (07-22-2021),Sea Ray (07-22-2021)

Facebook would have banned Galileo.
    Well, he needed to be stopped.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I don’t know who should regulate it, but society will straight up not continue to functionally exist with any kind of real stability if the kind of fake news and misinformation on social media isn’t clamped down somehow.

We have more anti-vaxxers now than we did 10 years ago. Like 90% of registered members of 1 of our 2 major political parties thinks the election was fraudulent and stolen and are willing to take violent means to “correct” it.

All of this nonsense is happening precisely because of the fake BS info that’s spread around on Facebook and Twitter or etc. The **** that I just mentioned is only going to get worse unless they do something to clamp down on it. As in, I don’t think we will have a functional democracy eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Like 90% of registered members of 1 of our 2 major political parties thinks the election was fraudulent and stolen and are willing to take violent means to “correct” it.
    I think you need to meet more Republicans as this sounds like some serious disinformation spread on Facebook and Twitter.

11. Likes:

Sea Ray (07-22-2021),Thisyear (07-22-2021)

I think you need to meet more Republicans as this sounds like some serious disinformation spread on Facebook and Twitter.
    Sorry my bad, it’s “only” two-thirds

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/mee...306#blogHeader

And those two-thirds are all willing to take violent action to "correct" it? Hell, only 29% said they would never accept Biden as president according to what you just posted. I suspect that's much lower than a similar poll would show among a different party from 2017.

And those two-thirds are all willing to take violent action to "correct" it? Hell, only 29% said they would never accept Biden as president according to what you just posted. I suspect that's much lower than a similar poll would show among a different party from 2017.
    You’re right, this is no big deal at all. Nevermind the fact that all the “other party” did in Jan 2017 was fecklessly protest with pink hats on, compared to the Republicans who stormed the capitol in Jan of this year ready to zip tie our senators and and hold mock trials to sentence them to hangings.

Totally the same thing. For sure nbd.

2/3 of Republicans stormed the Capitol? That must have been something.

2/3 of Republicans stormed the Capitol? That must have been something.
    Yes that’s exactly what I said is that literally two thirds of all republicans showed up to DC on January 6th, this whole bit totally isn’t belaboring the exact way I articulated that just to obfuscate the point.

You said 90% of Republicans were willing to use violent means to overturn the results of the election in an argument against misinformation. If you want me to use your exact argument.

Turn Off Ads?