Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Basketball 2021-2022: Student Athlete Free Agency Extravaganza!

Re: NCAA Basketball 2021-2022: Student Athlete Free Agency Extravaganza!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    When you consider a lot of the “old guard” coaches are calling it quits over the transfer portal and NIL it speaks volumes. Those that are left basically have to adapt or get out.

Maryland jumping to the Big 10 hurt them too IMO. Not as bad as Nebraska in football but they were more competitive in the ACC.
    Yup, nothing negative to say about transfer portal or NIL. It's a necessary step toward fairer treatment of athletes in my opinion. Coaches that can't adapt will leave and that is fine.

I agree on the ACC vs B1G thing too but not because I think the B1G is is better and the Terps can't hang. That's true in Football but not so much basketball in my opinion. ACC is (maybe was) a basketball conference and that held some weight. Since the move everything just seems more muted. Not playing Duke and North Carolina twice a year def takes some energy out of it and I could def see that impacting recruiting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Kind of a weird time to let your coach go but Maryland and Mark Turgeon are parting ways.
    I remember that dude when he was playing for Kansas in college. Looked like he was about 12.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-04-2021)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Could Turgeon end up at Kansas St.?

Alabama beat Gonzaga last night in Seattle and it wasn’t as close as the final score would indicate.

Are we overrating the Zags?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Yesterday was a great day to be a 'Bama fan.....taking out #1 UGA in Football on the same day they beat #3 (Preseason #1) Gonzaga in MBB.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Alabama beat Gonzaga last night in Seattle and it wasn’t as close as the final score would indicate.

Are we overrating the Zags?
    Maybe...but I get the feeling this year may not have any truly dominant teams....or maybe there are several, which kind of means there are none. Some think Purdue may have a chance, but I will not be surprised if we have 4-5 loss #1 Seeds by tournament time.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Kinda wonder if Penny Hardaway will make it past this season.

Two top recruits in Emoni Bates and Jalen Duren and they’ve lost to two of the worst teams in the SEC.

Then after last night’s game he basically backs up the bus over his players.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Two top recruits in Emoni Bates and Jalen Duren and they’ve lost to two of the worst teams in the SEC.

How many star players have returned to their alma maters and been successful head coaches? I'm sure there's been some, but it doesn't seem to work out often and makes for some awkward situations.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

11. Likes:

Chip R (12-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    How many star players have returned to their alma maters and been successful head coaches? I'm sure there's been some, but it doesn't seem to work out often and makes for some awkward situations.
    I know it’s the wrong sport but it’s the same reason I never want Barry Larkin to manage the Reds.

It rarely if ever works out and when it doesn’t it makes it extremely difficult to “part ways “ with that coach or manager.

Penny can recruit but his teams are over glorified AAU teams that self destruct. He can’t coach them.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-06-2021)

On my way home from Stillwater after watching Xavier win there. OSU isn't very good, but always fun to watch your team win on the road.

15. Likes:

Sea Ray (12-06-2021)

I know it's kind of a rhetorical question but I'd like to know the answer. There may have been some back in the old days (40s, 50s and 60s) but none come to mind over the past 50 years. There have been players that coached at their alma maters but they weren't necessarily stars there. And what constitutes successful? Over .500 record? Multiple NCAA appearances? Final Fours? NCAA championships? One I can think of is Norm Stewart at Missouri but I'm not so sure how much of a star he was at Mizzou.

Edit: I just thought of one: Fred Hoiberg at Iowa State. No Final Fours but plenty of NCAA appearances and a very good record. And there's no doubt he was a star at ISU.
    Last edited by Chip R; 12-06-2021 at 11:12 AM.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Patrick Ewing is not dead yet! But I think the end is nigh.

Depends on what you consider successful.....Huggins been to a Final 4, Big East Championship and 5 Sweet 16's in his 14 Seasons @ WVU.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

19. Likes:

Chip R (12-06-2021),Revering4Blue (12-06-2021)

Double edged sword....if he goes away, many of the elite recruits he gets will likely choose another school.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Depends on what you consider successful.....Huggins been to a Final 4, Big East Championship and 5 Sweet 16's in his 14 Seasons @ WVU.
    Good one.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?