Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Basketball 2021-2022: Student Athlete Free Agency Extravaganza!

Re: NCAA Basketball 2021-2022: Student Athlete Free Agency Extravaganza!

Coach Mike Shashefsky to retire at the end of the season:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...on-per-report/

And Duke will move from being a top 10 team to top 3 based on this announcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

Chip R (06-02-2021),cumberlandreds (06-03-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Coach Mike Shashefsky to retire at the end of the season:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...on-per-report/

And Duke will move from being a top 10 team to top 3 based on this announcement.
    Jon Scheyer is a year away from having one of the best CBB jobs in the country in one of the worst situations.

I would guess over the next couple years there will be many of the "old guard" (Williams, Huggins....and maybe even Cal) move on from the bench. As NIL and other changes take effect, I think many older coaches will decide it is not worth it to remain on the sideline. Many of them know tampering is about to explode, and the traditional relationships among coaches will be tested.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

5. Likes:

RiverRat13 (06-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Jon Scheyer is a year away from having one of the best CBB jobs in the country in one of the worst situations.

I would guess over the next couple years there will be many of the "old guard" (Williams, Huggins....and maybe even Cal) move on from the bench. As NIL and other changes take effect, I think many older coaches will decide it is not worth it to remain on the sideline. Many of them know tampering is about to explode, and the traditional relationships among coaches will be tested.
    Duke had the pick of pretty much every single basketball coach in the game and went with Scheyer, an interesting choice.

I do think a lot of old time coaches will hang it up over the next few years. I don't think its because of NIL, I think it will be because of the "free transfer" more than anything else. Building a team and keeping a team together will be much tougher than ever before.

I love the game of college basketball but I fear it will become unrecognizable over the next five to ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Duke had the pick of pretty much every single basketball coach in the game and went with Scheyer, an interesting choice.
    They would have had their choice of coaches had K not insisted on his farewell tour. No current head coach of any value was going to agree to come be K's assistant for this season.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    They would have had their choice of coaches had K not insisted on his farewell tour. No current head coach of any value was going to agree to come be K's assistant for this season.
    I think he probably meant to say "could have had the pick." They didn't have to name a head coach in waiting now, they could have waited until after the season, and then everyone's on the table.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Duke is in an interesting spot right now. For all intents and purposes Coach K is Duke basketball. Its very rare that you find a coach and school so intertwined like this. I wonder if you go back and look at previous schools in similar situations who bowed down to the leaving coach and allowed him to pick his successor to see how that all worked out. I can think of Dean Smith and Guthridge but really can't think of may other situations. More often than not you are far more successful going outside the program than hiring from within.

I don't think it happens, but there is the potential that Duke loses a lot of prestige if Scheyer flames out as a coach.

Sheyer has his work cut out for him. Very few coaches following legends succeed. UCLA and Indiana have gone through a bunch of coaches and never really got back to that level consistently. It took a couple of coaches to go through UNC before Williams got the ship righted. Joe B. Hall probably followed a legend better than anyone at Kentucky. He kept Kentucky more than relevant and brought them back up notch from where Rupp left them. But he seems to be an exception. It's going to be interesting to see how these successors do in the coming years with people like Boeheim,Huggins and probably Calipari retiring in the near future.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-03-2021)

I do think a lot of old time coaches will hang it up over the next few years. I don't think its because of NIL, I think it will be because of the "free transfer" more than anything else. Building a team and keeping a team together will be much tougher than ever before.

I love the game of college basketball but I fear it will become unrecognizable over the next five to ten years.
    Duke and UNC are unique because both haven’t had openings in forever and are focused so much on “family” and “brotherhood”. They could have written a blank check and gotten any coach in the country but opted to keep it in house.

What’s going to hurt Scheyer is Coach Ks Team USA connections. I’m sure K will be somewhat involved but Scheyer won’t be able to use a pretty major recruiting piece.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Sheyer has his work cut out for him. Very few coaches following legends succeed. UCLA and Indiana have gone through a bunch of coaches and never really got back to that level consistently. It took a couple of coaches to go through UNC before Williams got the ship righted. Joe B. Hall probably followed a legend better than anyone at Kentucky. He kept Kentucky more than relevant and brought them back up notch from where Rupp left them. But he seems to be an exception. It's going to be interesting to see how these successors do in the coming years with people like Boeheim,Huggins and probably Calipari retiring in the near future.
    Joe B also did something in that he was responsible for integrating the Kentucky basketball program. That alone is an accomplishment given the history and the fanbase.

Calipari seems to be embracing the transfer rule although he was dead set against it when Bruiser Flint lost his top player at Drexel (Damion Lee) to Louisville before he got fired. He knows the game is changing and is adjusting instead of getting out.

Mike Davis had some success at Indiana following RMK.

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-03-2021),Revering4Blue (06-03-2021)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

NCAA Basketball 2021-2022: Student Athlete Free Agency Extravaganza!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Duke and UNC are unique because both haven’t had openings in forever and are focused so much on “family” and “brotherhood”. They could have written a blank check and gotten any coach in the country but opted to keep it in house.

What’s going to hurt Scheyer is Coach Ks Team USA connections. I’m sure K will be somewhat involved but Scheyer won’t be able to use a pretty major recruiting piece.
    Written a blank check, yes. Actually landing virtually any elite coach in this CBB landscape with said check, not so much.

Wright and Few aren't going anywhere, except to the NBA if they so chose to eventually do so. Sampson, at his age, isn't leaving Houston. Scott Drew is firmly entrenched in Waco. Even the major conference up-and-comers - Oats, Musselman, for example. - are quite capable of producing championship teams in their current situations, instead of dealing with the fanbases and intense scrutiny associated with UNC, Duke, UK etc.

This isn't a case analogous to OSU and Alabama football, in which you MUST coach for a top-tier job to realistically have a shot at winning a National Championship. No parity factor at all in CFB compared with CBB, but that's a topic for another thread.

And I wouldn't be too concerned about Hubert Davis and Scheyer recruiting, with the established UNC 1-75 recruiting pipeline. And does anyone really going to believe that ESPN and the like are suddenly going to stop their constant promotion of Duke hoops? Such free promotion is quite a recruiting tool, no?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 06-04-2021 at 12:10 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Scott Drew is 50. There may be things keeping him at Baylor and not chasing another job, but his age isn't one of them.

I think the free transfer and NIL panic is a bit overblown. I'm guessing the players and coaches will make an adjustment and the game will be just fine. This year the numbers are especially high with the first year of the new transfer rule and the free COVID year.

Nearly every other NCAA sport has always had a free one-time transfer and you don't see massive player movements. Granted, men's basketball will probably see the most movement of any sport with the AAU-ification of the sport, but I think things will level set moving forward.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

18. Likes:

Chip R (06-04-2021)

Isn't he K's head recruiter? If he is, he's largely responsible for the talent that has come in over the past several years. And to those who believe Duke cheats, he probably knows where the bodies are buried - so to speak.

I'm sure a lot of the old-timers will be leaving but more likely because they are old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I think the free transfer and NIL panic is a bit overblown. I'm guessing the players and coaches will make an adjustment and the game will be just fine. This year the numbers are especially high with the first year of the new transfer rule and the free COVID year.

Nearly every other NCAA sport has always had a free one-time transfer and you don't see massive player movements. Granted, men's basketball will probably see the most movement of any sport with the AAU-ification of the sport, but I think things will level set moving forward.
    Basketball is a cesspool at the high school level even more so when you consider AAU ball. It used to be you would recruit a kid but once they were enrolled the kid gloves came off and you could really coach them.

In today's game, everyone has the potential to transfer at anytime. Not only did you have to coach, but you have to worry about them transfering. You have to worry about roster building based upon the whims of a 18-22 year old kid. I think a lot of coaches if given the opportunity would rather not deal with that.

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-04-2021)

I'm sure Scheyer will recruit just fine. At least at first. However, if recruiting were enough, Memphis and Georgia Tech would be good.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 06-04-2021 at 02:22 PM.

Turn Off Ads?