Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Basketball 2021-2022: Student Athlete Free Agency Extravaganza!

Re: NCAA Basketball 2021-2022: Student Athlete Free Agency Extravaganza!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Sure, but in this special situation, why not? Just seems weird. Gonzaga is one of the premier programs in college basketball right now.
    I expect he (and almost every other coach) also knows it is very tough place to leave with a win.....especially for East Coast teams.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Turn Off Ads?

I can tell you there is no way UK will play at Gonzaga. Neutral court, yes, but on Gonzaga's home floor, never in a million years.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I can tell you there is no way UK will play at Gonzaga. Neutral court, yes, but on Gonzaga's home floor, never in a million years.
    That's goofy if Gonzaga is willing to play in Rupp. Oh well.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    That's goofy if Gonzaga is willing to play in Rupp. Oh well.
    Cal did the same thing with IU when Crean was there.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I expect he (and almost every other coach) also knows it is very tough place to leave with a win.....especially for East Coast teams.
    This.

Eddie Sutton before he resigned had UK playing Kansas, UNC, Indiana, and Louisville on a home and home every year. Pitino came along and let the Kansas and UNC contracts expire. Pitino, like Cal, favored the watered down Rupp schedule.

I do wish Cal would schedule better and get the team out of Rupp but I don’t have any desire to see home and homes with Gonzaga, Duke, or any major blue blood. The average college basketball fan would enjoy it as would the media networks but it’s counterproductive in that loading the schedule affects seeding if the team struggles. Not to mention the SEC has gotten better compared to recent years.

What I would like to see instead of home and homes or neutral sites for Kentucky is a return to holiday tournaments. The last tournament Kentucky played in was when they opened the Barclays Center the year after they won the national championship. That’s another thing Cal put an end to and seeing all the major teams still do them I don’t understand why. Cal wouldn’t even do the PK80 tournament a few years ago when Phil Knight wanted Kentucky in the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-27-2021)

Really confused with Huggins this season.

First, WVU is 11-1, but had a very light non-con schedule. At best WVU is probably a middle seeded (#5-#9 seed) tournament team with a Sweet 16 ceiling.....and at worst they are probably a bubble to NIT team.....or at least that is my current evaluation. Still, there have been several games this year where the team has really struggled, then in the 2nd half or later Huggins will go to the press or extended defense.......and ironically the offense wakes up! Last night was a perfect example, WVU goes to halftime with a 24-23 lead over Youngstown State......and it was ugly as WVU was 0 for 7 from 3 and shooting under 30% from the field. In the 2nd half, Huggins extends the defense to alternate between a full court press to a 3/4 court extended defense and WVU wins the game 82-52 finishing the game 7 of 15 from 3. It was not the defense that improved....it was the offense as it is clear these guys just respond better to the sped up pace.

Still after the game, Huggins is complaining about having to utilize the press and claims he did not want to press. Why not if it clearly works for this group? Especially for a coach that had one of the more famous pressing teams in modern college basketball. This roster does not have a Jevon Carter type defensive stopper, but it has all the pieces for a good pressing team.....some decent back end rim protectors.....some athletic length for the front of the press....and some athletic warm bodies for the middle of the press. This teams best chance is a return to Press Virginia or at least some version from the tip.....but Huggins is fighting it for some reason.
    I think Huggins retires after this season.

He’s losing a LOT off of this years team. Seven seniors including McNeil and Sherman. Not to mention who he could lose to the transfer portal. I don’t see him wanting to go through another rebuild.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think Huggins retires after this season.

He’s losing a LOT off of this years team. Seven seniors including McNeil and Sherman. Not to mention who he could lose to the transfer portal. I don’t see him wanting to go through another rebuild.
    I disagree based on his recent comments.....sounds like he plans on being around for a few years. I personally think he will go for 1K wins....even though he claims/pretends that stuff does not matter. He supposedly is very high on his Freshmen this season and the group he has coming in next season......claims of him telling people that he believes it is the next group that he feels he can make a deep tournament run with over the next few seasons. He has 5 Freshman this season, 3 are playing a little more each week this season, but the 2 that are redshirting may be the most talented.

Anything can happen.....and I am susceptible to the kool-aid, but the team this year is clearly piecemealed together. The one that will take the court next season, or actually the following season should be one he built from the foundation and will play the way WVU teams under Huggins are known to play. Long, athletic and very physical.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I disagree based on his recent comments.....sounds like he plans on being around for a few years. I personally think he will go for 1K wins....even though he claims/pretends that stuff does not matter. He supposedly is very high on his Freshmen this season and the group he has coming in next season......claims of him telling people that he believes it is the next group that he feels he can make a deep tournament run with over the next few seasons. He has 5 Freshman this season, 3 are playing a little more each week this season, but the 2 that are redshirting may be the most talented.

Anything can happen.....and I am susceptible to the kool-aid, but the team this year is clearly piecemealed together. The one that will take the court next season, or actually the following season should be one he built from the foundation and will play the way WVU teams under Huggins are known to play. Long, athletic and very physical.
    I don’t think Huggins is going to come right out and say he’s going to retire until he actually does it. Coach K is really about the only coach who could do it and it not negatively impact the program.

I don’t know and you obviously follow WVU closer than I do but with some old guard coaches getting out so they don’t have to deal with NIL and the transfer portal I could see Huggins following suit. Especially if some of the players you mention end up getting poached in the offseason.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Big win for my Hoosiers.

12. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-12-2022),Revering4Blue (01-10-2022),Sea Ray (01-07-2022)

And then there were none. The last two undefeated teams went down last night. The 76 Indiana team can breathe easier now.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 01-12-2022 at 07:32 AM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

14. Likes:

Chip R (01-18-2022),dubc47834 (01-12-2022)

Looking through some of the team metrics on ESPN and WVU is #1 in a category! WVU has the most difficult remaining schedule in the country.

8 of the 10 most difficult remaining schedules are Big12 teams....

Most of the metrics project WVU to have a pretty bad record the rest of the way......have to assume we will learn more when WVU visits Phog Allen today. We have taken much more talented teams in there, and never left with a win.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Anyone want to post their (mostly) pre-conference All-American team?

I've got Keegan Murray as my POTY right now, with Johnny Davis, Kofi Cockburn, Oscar Tshiebwe, and Drew Timme, in that order, behind. EJ Liddell is first guy out (and if push comes to shove, might take Timme's spot).

Chris Mack would look terrific at Thomas More. Might not match the accomplishments of former Coach Drew Cooper, but at least his team's wouldn't get humiliated twice a week on national TV anymore!

NCAA Basketball 2021-2022: Student Athlete Free Agency Extravaganza!

Louisville buying out Mack. Wow.

Early names:

Bruce Pearl
    Nate Oats
    Kenny Payne
    Will Wade
    Last edited by WVRed; 01-25-2022 at 07:14 PM.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Louisville buying out Mack. Wow.

Early names:

Bruce Pearl
    Nate Oats
    Kenny Payne
    Will Wade
    And most, including me, felt Mack was a homerun hire for the Cards. My how times have changed.

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-26-2022)

Turn Off Ads?