Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2021 Reds are an embarrassment

Re: The 2021 Reds are an embarrassment

Quote Originally Posted by Thisyear View Post
    Lol. You must miss the game threads where he calls everyone morons or anyone who says anything remotely negative " he doesn't respect their opinion." I enjoy you as a poster, but this legit made me laugh.
    I’m flattered you brought this thread back to quote two random posts about me.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I’m flattered you brought this thread back to quote two random posts about me.
    In all fairness I didn't know one of the quotes was about you, I was looking for a post to quote FCB and was tired of reading through. The second one I just found hilarious. I mean I see the way you treat people and have never to my knowledge have commented or communicated with me then yesterday out of the blue you take a shot at me for who knows what reason. Not a big deal, I just found that characterization funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don’t agree with the thread that Reds are an “embarrassment” but I’ll post a gripe here for want of a different place.

Reds are hurt badly by lack of team speed and athleticism. I’ve watched a lot of baseball lately and it’s patently obvious. I don’t think it’s a secondary or marginal factor.

Other teams save the pitcher frequently with running, diving, leaping catches in the OF. Other teams seem to put more pressure on with aggressive baserunning. Reds seem often to get into trouble with aggressive baserunning.

Senzel’s loss was major in this respect, he’s one of the fastest guys they have. But he’s only one player.

In terms of OF defense, you can’t always see it on TV, we accept base hits falling in. But watch some of the other teams and you’ll see it.
    It's the most AL like team they've had in awhile, additionally the injuries have exposed the shallow pool of players they have to bridge the gap.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (09-19-2021),Revering4Blue (09-19-2021),Tony Cloninger (09-19-2021)

In all fairness I didn't know one of the quotes was about you, I was looking for a post to quote FCB and was tired of reading through. The second one I just found hilarious. I mean I see the way you treat people and have never to my knowledge have commented or communicated with me then yesterday out of the blue you take a shot at me for who knows what reason. Not a big deal, I just found that characterization funny.
    Oh you’re mad about that. You should try to handle the bantz a little better it was just a joke, bloke.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Oh you’re mad about that. You should try to handle the bantz a little better it was just a joke, bloke.
    Yes, that is the main crux of my opinion, I have also saw how you treat others. You and I both know on this board the insult you called me is one of the worst things you could call me on this board. Although, I personally have no issue with him, he has some opinions and things I wish not to be associated with. Once that connection is made it is tough to break.

Yes, that is the main crux of my opinion, I have also saw how you treat others. You and I both know on this board the insult you called me is one of the worst things you could call me on this board. Although, I personally have no issue with him, he has some opinions and things I wish not to be associated with. Once that connection is made it is tough to break.
    Let the record show I facetiously called this guy a “simp” lol. I promise you it’s not a big deal.

9. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (09-19-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

There sure are a lot of people that have showed up here lately who get real sensitive about being called a moron - and I gotta tell ya, the easiest way to avoid that is by not being a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    There sure are a lot of people that have showed up here lately who get real sensitive about being called a moron - and I gotta tell ya, the easiest way to avoid that is by not being a moron.
    To be clear he called me a Sea Ray simp. I don't want to be associated with that. Calling people names is a lack of character. The only reason, it was even brought up is because the post gushing over him being a star. I think that is a huge Mischaracterization.
    Last edited by Thisyear; 09-19-2021 at 10:46 AM.

To be clear he called me a Sea Ray simp. I son't want to be associated with that. Calling people names is a lack of character. The only reason, it was even brought up is because the post gushing over him being a star. I think that is a huge mischaracterized.
    I mean have whatever feelings you’d like about it, but WOY’s description of Tom is pretty on point, the guy is one the longest established regulars here and is generally pretty well liked except for a certain kinda crowd here that is in the minority.

We all have some moron in us. Some have more, some have less.

Usually when I see someone going non-linear in here about some minutiae or significance, I give them some leeway because I’ve been there a time or two.

14. Likes:

TRF (09-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I mean have whatever feelings you’d like about it, but WOY’s description of Tom is pretty on point, the guy is one the longest established regulars here and is generally pretty well liked except for a certain kinda crowd here that is in the minority.
    Everyone can have their own opinion. Almost all new posters hate him because he thinks you have to have 40k posts to know baseball. There are tons of examples. Lets agree to disagree and get back to the thread. Is there anyone who still believes the Reds will make the playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    They were an good franchise until 2015 under this ownership. They wanted to win. The big problem was that the wanted to win too much, overspent for a bit at the end of that, and then overcorrected.

They clearly wanted to win in 2019 and 2020, but then came the pandemic. I think they overcorrected for that as well, but they showed they are trying to win this trade deadline, and they are still winning this season. Only 1.5 games out with two weeks to go.

It’s complicated and not as simple as saying this ownership doesn’t want to win.
    I'm going to have to disagree a bit.
    Did the Reds want to win in 2019.. Yes, ownership gave Dick Williams a lot of money to make the team a winner. It's a very hard thing to do though, to transform a team into a winner in one offseason, purely with free agency.. So Williams made some mistakes, but I am going to acknowledge he made some good moves and was given an extremely difficult task.

Did the Reds ownership and GM want to win in 2020? NO. The trade deadline was way too late to address the bullpen, and there were other moves that could have been done which would have helped (example, imagine if we had traded for Bryant. Krall said the Reds were in talk. Bryant in the OF or 3b would have been a lot better in the 2nd half than what we've been running out there).
    Ownership was almost forced to make a move by media and fan pressure because the Reds were overachieving. At the deadline, the Reds were 8-2 in extra inning games despite having a horrible bullpen.. The Reds had a lot of magic that happened this year, but it wasn't due to the front office or ownership, who clearly neglected them before the season started.

The pandemic is no excuse.. There was a post over the winter, someone seemed to have fairly good knowledge of the front office and was defending the pandemic action, but using HIS numbers showed that the Reds brought in less than 10 million than what they expected AND that doesn't include the money they saved by having no minor leagues. The players ate the cost of the pandemic. They were the ones that bore the burden.. The owners were insulated..

Think about it, the owners have proposed in the next CBA a payroll floor of 100 million.. that means every team can sustain that , right? Well, then how come we have teams like Cleveland and Pittsburg with payrolls way below that which cry poor and have payrolls under 40 million? The owners lie to the fans on a yearly basis about their profitability. They've been doing it since the sport started.

Castanelli and his partners has had his good moments with the team (the Walt era), but they clearly let us down by punting this year. The fans deserved better. We endured 5 years of tanking. The owners got dividends because the payroll was so low. But what do the fans get instead? A bunch of excuses about how the pandemic means there's no money to spend.. What a bunch of nonsense. It's disgraceful.

Depending on what the other NL Central teams do this winter, the Reds have the opportunity to contend again next year.. Will ownership and the front office step up? I hope so, but I kind of doubt it.
    It's more likely that the Cubs or Cards load up and pass us, and the Reds do not get the RH hitting they are going to need after Nick Cast walks. Krall will be busy looking for more Cionel Perez types instead of real players. Krall will continue to be unimaginative and passive.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

17. Likes:

Falls City Beer (09-19-2021),Redsfaithful (09-19-2021),Thisyear (09-19-2021)

Sure the Reds can still make the playoff, weirder things have happened in the last weekend of seasons. That said if all your LH outfielders are on the shelf the hill is harder to climb, especially if your main gun in your arsenal is offense.

As for the fail, I'll venture that the Padres fail story is huge nationally and the Reds more regional.

But if the Phillies get in what will FCB have to say? They are his local team and I can't recall him ever mentioning them in two decades

19. Likes:

757690 (09-19-2021),Tom Servo (09-19-2021),Wonderful Monds (09-19-2021)

If the Reds were always predestined to fail and the Cardinals rise was inevitable what’s there to be upset about, exactly?

Everyone can have their own opinion. Almost all new posters hate him because he thinks you have to have 40k posts to know baseball. There are tons of examples. Lets agree to disagree and get back to the thread. Is there anyone who still believes the Reds will make the playoffs?
    Yeah I don’t respect the opinions of the recent brigade of boomer yokels that have showed up here either, so you’ll forgive me if that doesn’t move me very much. That crowd is collectively tanking the level of discourse on this board, nothing that’s been said about them is really off base.

22. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-20-2021)

Turn Off Ads?