Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2021 Reds are an embarrassment

Re: The 2021 Reds are an embarrassment

Today’s Red loss is the worst since they lost 16-1 last September to the Cardinals and was the most runs they allowed since 7/11/2018 when they allowed 19 vs the Phillies. The run differential of 15 is the worst since they lost 16-0 vs the Cubs on 4/21/2016.

The 1978 Reds gave up 19 to the Expos in game one of a DH, they won 92 games that year. Easily the best Reds team to allow that many in a game

2. Turn Off Ads?

they have completely extinguished my care in the present all I really care about is Mel Behney

Honestly this year doesn't even feel terrible considering how I've felt at some points in my Reds fandom. This is right around how I feel on average about the Reds for the past twenty years.

Fourth in the NL Central has generally been our home. Or I guess I should say "one spot out of last in the NL Central".

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-20-2021),CarolinaRedleg (05-21-2021),REDREAD (05-21-2021),Roy Tucker (05-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    So here's a question, Senzel has 1 year, 150 days of service time (as of today, per Fangraphs)
    We have played 42 games this year.. Assuming he is not sent down this year, he will get minimum 162 -42 = 122 days more.
    He will probably get a few extra due to off days.. They say a player needs 172 days of service to get a year.
    So end of year, he has 2 years, and about 102 days more.. I wonder if that pushes him into Super 2.
    Maybe not, maybe 2022 is another cheap year for him.

A decision is going to have to be made on him soon. I am not saying to dump him, but the cheap years are coming to an end soon.
    That fangraphs figure is his cumulative service time as of opening day. If he stays up all year he’ll have 2.150 years of service and will definitely qualify for super two status assuming there is such a thing in the next collective bargaining agreement.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (05-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by NC-Red View Post
    I'm still a die-hard fan and if the Reds ever get good enough to spark my interest then I'll pay closer attention. However, they haven't had such a team though since 2012 and even then had possibly the most devastating series loss in MLB history. There's absolutely no reason to slave away and watch them every night, it's honestly just not healthy. They are a pathetic franchise and honestly, I wouldn't blame a new owner if they moved cities because the city of Cincinnati will never have the budget to get them to where they need to be money wise to win a World Series.
    yeah, this is where i'm getting to. i'm in such a habit of getting excited for every reds game and watching every one i can. that is going to change.

I envision Reds (if not in contention) trying to trade Gray, Miley, and Castellanos at the deadline. Nick because he’ll probably leave to go FA anyway.

Others maybe after the season.

Doubtful there will be a market at the deadline for the other large salaries, Suarez and Moustakas. Winker - Reds won’t trade him in-season, maybe to be considered in the off-season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-20-2021 at 11:01 PM.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (05-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    He has no value, not really any other options aside from keeping him.
    I agree Senzel is a keeper for the same reason. They same something is worth what someone is willing to pay.

Honestly, what would you give up for him now if you were an opposing GM given his medical bills?

The mystique is gone.

13. Likes:

malcontent (05-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    I agree Senzel is a keeper for the same reason. They same something is worth what someone is willing to pay.

Honestly, what would you give up for him now if you were an opposing GM given his medical bills?

The mystique is gone.
    Yep. I would give up a comparable post-hype prospect or a lottery ticket.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

I’m not necessarily advocating for a rebuild, but what’s the alternative? This team sucks and has no future as is.
    The alternative is to find something more productive to do with my time......

Reds ownership is wearing me down

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

16. Likes:

REDREAD (05-21-2021),wlf WV (05-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I’ll be 69 in August too and have seen a lot of Reds baseball (either 57 or 58 years, I’ve lost track). If the season is interesting, I’ll follow the team closely. This year has been interesting up till these last few games. But I’ll hang in there with them for a while longer. Some things could pop right and they could contend. The one thing about baseball is that you never know what’s going to happen.

But I like baseball too so I’ll watch other teams with more interesting players as well. And it’s just about summer and we have the freedom now to get out and about now and travel and go places. So life is pretty good. I’ll take that. If the Reds get their act together, then that would be a lot of fun and really cool. Either way, we have a lot to look forward to.
    I’m doing a lot more bird photography and got shots in both of my knees so I can return to golf.
    Happily I was on the golf course today and unconcerned about the game for the most part.

I miss Raisor

18. Likes:

REDREAD (05-21-2021),Roy Tucker (05-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    The alternative is to find something more productive to do with my time......

Reds ownership is wearing me down

I agree, I’m getting worn down as well. I’m just asking: what option do they have right now to keep you as a fan? If they stay the course they suck and don’t have a future. If they rebuild they suck and might have a future. Honestly, it’s not even really like they could keep as is going into next season and add a couple players. This is a straight up disaster.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

They call me "chef"

I agree, I’m getting worn down as well. I’m just asking: what option do they have right now to keep you as a fan? If they stay the course they suck and don’t have a future. If they rebuild they suck and might have a future. Honestly, it’s not even really like they could keep as is going into next season and add a couple players. This is a straight up disaster.
    Moves to keep me as a fan? Sell the team to the Los Angeles Dodgers. The 4 players that would make the Dodgers team move to Los Angeles and suit up in Dodger blue. GABP is turned into affordable housing. The Dodgers send me a season ticket for coming up with this plan. I get 50% off all food and drinks.

21. Likes:

OGB (05-23-2021),Red Raindog (05-21-2021),RedTeamGo! (05-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I’d wait until Votto and Moose are back healthy before making saying any final rites on this team.

Castillo looks to be turning it around and maybe even Suarez. Garrett and Sims seem to be back on track.

Lots of reasons to be at least hopeful.
    While I have nothing against an optimistic spirit in these discussions ... We're tired of being "hopeful" (LOL)

But to put it more in perspective .... I've been an avid Red's fan almost 60 years. And in that time we had the BRM years, and 1990. Yes, there were some competitive (good) teams between now and then. Loved some of the 60s teams. But overall, pretty "league average" to mediocre. But it's not just Red's fans who are "suffering in travail", but it's quite common throughout both leagues in MLB.

The Dodger's OD payroll was $247M. The Red's was $122M. Spending does not necesarily guarantee a winner - but it does help increase the odds, while also driving market prices that a majority of teams cannot afford.

So if you can't afford that route, you try to even the odds with analytics, out thinking the opposition, utilizing statistic-based strategy. The only problem is those large market teams, besides their wealth and access to it, also utilize the same strategies (they're rich, not stupid). The difference (advantage) is - they can spend what they need to acquire it, and can eat/absord easier financial mistakes (i.e. take risks).

When it came to guys like Bob Howsam ... even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile. Be thankful for the crumbs that fall from the table (LMAO)

As I watch this '21 team.. again, extremely embarassed by their defensve play ... the weaknesses they created in the pitching staff ... it once again falls on the shoulder (critical thinking) of those this OWNER put in charge.

Last edited by GAC; 05-21-2021 at 06:42 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

23. Likes:

JFLegal (05-21-2021),REDREAD (05-21-2021),SomeCallMeTim (05-21-2021),wally post (05-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    While I have nothing against an optimistic spirit in these discussions ... We're tired of being "hopeful" (LOL)

But to put it more in perspective .... I've been an avid Red's fan almost 60 years. And in that time we had the BRM years, and 1990. Yes, there were some competitive (good) teams between now and then. Loved some of the 60s teams. But overall, pretty "league average" to mediocre. But it's not just Red's fans who are "suffering in travail", but it's quite common throughout both leagues in MLB.

The Dodger's OD payroll was $247M. The Red's was $122M. Spending does not necesarily guarantee a winner - but it does help increase the odds, while also driving market prices that a majority of teams cannot afford.

So if you can't afford that route, you try to even the odds with analytics, out thinking the opposition, utilizing statistic-based strategy. The only problem is those large market teams, besides their wealth and access to it, also utilize the same strategies (they're rich, not stupid). The difference (advantage) is - they can spend what they need to acquire it, and can eat/absord easier financial mistakes (i.e. take risks).

When it came to guys like Bob Howsam ... even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile. Be thankful for the crumbs that fall from the table (LMAO)

As I watch this '21 team.. again, extremely embarassed by their defensve play ... the weaknesses they created in the pitching staff ... it once again falls on the shoulder (critical thinking) of those this OWNER put in charge.
    ]
    Note
    I deleted the photos from the quote to shorten it.

I think without some kind of equality in team payrolls I will continue to lose interest.

I’m tired of watching the big market teams gobbling up all the expensive talent.

A change of local ownership would perk up my interest some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I miss Raisor

25. Likes:

OGB (05-23-2021),REDREAD (05-21-2021),wally post (05-21-2021)

Turn Off Ads?