Thread: There is Help in the Wings...Reds Top Pitching Prospects

There is Help in the Wings...Reds Top Pitching Prospects

Greene AA - 1.69 ERA, 0.89 WHIP, 13.9 SO9

Lodolo AA - 0.57 ERA, 0.83 WHIP, 13.8 SO9

Santillan AAA - 0.64 ERA, 0.93 WHIP, 12.9 SO9

Richardson A+ - 1.10 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, 9.9SO9

Vlad AAA - 2.65 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, 11.1 SO9

O'Brien AAA - 2.76 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, 9.3 SO9

Sanmartin AA - 0.50 ERA, 0.72 WHIP, 11.5 SO9 (Remember him? Came over as part of the Sonny Gray deal)

Oh and then there is James Proctor an unsigned FA from last year who was part of a no-hitter last night....
    Proctor A - 0.53 ERA, 0.82 WHIP, 14.3 SO9

Driveline Boddy Effect?

All are Starters BTW....
    Last edited by DocRed; 05-23-2021 at 02:25 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: There is Help in the Wings...Reds Top Pitching Prospects

I don’t trust Santillan at all, after being disappointing for years, but he’s gotta get called up ASAP. Time to sink or swim at major league level.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don’t trust Santillan at all, after being disappointing for years, but he’s gotta get called up ASAP. Time to sink or swim at major league level.
    Hard to imagine he could be any worse than Castillo if the Bonehead Front Office isn't willing to start Antone.

Santillan just turned 24. And he was hurt for a year. It's just about time.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

6. Likes:

OGB (05-23-2021),Tom Servo (05-23-2021)

I think Greene will be a star and Lodolo a solid number 3 or 4 type. Richardson may take a step forward. Bullpen or whatever for the rest. Take Greene away and this bunch doesn't seem any better than Stephenson, Reed, Garrett, Finnegan, Romano, Lorenzen, Iglesias, Disco, Mahle young group did in 2015 or so. We saw how that ended. I wouldn't trade away any starters who they have control of to make room for these guys. Maybe Miley with Antone sliding in. The rest are competing with Hoffman for the last spot or moving to the bullpen.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think Greene will be a star and Lodolo a solid number 3 or 4 type. Richardson may take a step forward. Bullpen or whatever for the rest. Take Greene away and this bunch doesn't seem any better than Stephenson, Reed, Garrett, Finnegan, Romano, Lorenzen, Iglesias, Disco, Mahle young group did in 2015 or so. We saw how that ended. I wouldn't trade away any starters who they have control of to make room for these guys. Maybe Miley with Antone sliding in. The rest are competing with Hoffman for the last spot or moving to the bullpen.
    I think it's kinda silly to "bullpen or whatever" any young pitcher. Pitching development makes just about no sense. Robert Stephenson was a big prospect. Tyler Mahle was an okay-ish prospect. Tejay Antone wasn't on anybody's radar (as a future impact pitcher). Shane Bieber came out of nowhere. I suspect pitching development is all about arm health, and just about every pitcher has some kind of arm, shoulder or core injury they're dealing with at all times. It's just a matter of whether they can pitch through the pain and/or it robs them of some ability.

I think that's what makes the original post exciting. You need pitching prospects to come in droves. Most won't make it. Lots will underachieve. Some will surprise. I think you can make a case for any of them. I'm still bullish on Santillan. Aside from Greene, his stuff is as good as anybody's on the farm. Hope he stays healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Miley is signed through next year. Gray is next year with a team option for 2023. Castillo is arb eligible next year and might be a trade option because of his eventual cost.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Miley is signed through next year. Gray is next year with a team option for 2023. Castillo is arb eligible next year and might be a trade option because of his eventual cost.
    Miley has an option for next year. I'd trade that choice to somebody else in a sell high move. He hasn't really put two good years in a row together and he'll be 35. He's the guy I trade. I'd keep Castillo unless they can get the same value for him now that they could have in December. This team needs young cost controlled guys at several positions and on the mound. I'd expect Miley could fetch one, Castellanos two and maybe even Barnhart could get one. I doubt the currrent version of Castillo brings one back. Contenders won't risk it and rebuilders want younger guys with more control.

An all around player who can play RF is a desperate need IMO and I'd get a couple more middle infield options to the mix. Neither India or Garcia are sure things. They need three or four more high end arms as well. The arms look decent, but the failure rate is high as any Reds fan should have learned by now.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I know the Reds are struggling but I'm actually enjoying watching them play more than I have in a long time because we are finally seeing at least some of their young players. Winker, India, Stephenson, Antone, & Mahle are all young cornerstone players either getting their first real shot or making a leap to another talent level.

The Reds need both Greene and Lodolo to become effective healthy MLB starters. Pairing them with Mahle & Gray for at least the next couple seasons is a pretty good place to start and adding Antone to the rotation would make a strong 5 and Castillo either trade bait or a potential closer option. Luis is starting to give me Carlos Martinez vibes.

12. Likes:

jwdoc77 (05-24-2021)

Turn Off Ads?