Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Sell?

Re: Sell?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Tucker’s value is in his 2021 performance and his team option.

A $7.5 million option for Barnhart in 2022 is an asset. Most teams would pay that for a Gold Glove starting catcher currently at .270/.750 hitting (approx). MLB catchers on the whole are hitting .224 and .688 this year.

The Reds would be ill-advised to trade that value for a middling relief pitcher. A team should not throw away value out of desperation.
    With Stephenson emerging, I think Tucker is the piece to move….but get a fair return.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (07-26-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

A trade that could work for both teams:

Trade Barnhart to Toronto for SS Kevin Smith AAA and C Riley Adams AAA

Tucker Barnhart is a moveable piece. I really like Barnhart and feel like he is under appreciated but there are teams that could use him as a significant upgrade:

Barnhart would be attractive to several teams but the one I am targeting is Toronto. Toronto has a healthy farm system and a young roster.

The Blue Jays have a SS blocked at AAA. He is currently their 27th ranked prospect but is likely in the 10-15 range now.

Kevin Smith is an older guy at age 25.

He is OPSing .968 in AAA with 16 homeruns. He has dropped his strikeout rate a bunch. He is certainly a piece they would move in the right deal. Why not add more competition at SS for the upcoming season with this guy? Maybe, he would be a good call up now. The Reds are not getting any of the big free agent shortstops to Cincinnati next off season.

Riley Adams could slot in as a backup catcher for Stephenson

5. Likes:

mth123 (07-25-2021),RedTeamGo! (07-25-2021)

Sell?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If the Reds bring Cast back with a micro fracture after a handful of days then they deserve to have pay him $20 million to ride the bench next season. I’d shut him down for the near future.

- - - Updated - - -

I seriously doubt that. Have $20 million guaranteed or risk being a NRI in someone’s spring training?
    Non Roster Invitee?

This is the absolute GARBAGE that you say about good reds players that makes your opinion worthless around here.

How dare you call people around here homers when you are so clearly biased and trolling. That’s an embarrassing take.

Not only that, but you call for Reds to get decent mgmt, when you yourself have ragged on Winker, Votto, Castellanos, Bauer, Cueto, Castillo, et al over recent years. Let’s not act like you have properly identified any talent on this team in recent years that suggests your takes are worth any value.

Btw, still waiting for the Reds to remove Castillo from the rotation for Jeff Hoffman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Non Roster Invitee?

This is the absolute GARBAGE that you say about good reds players that makes your opinion worthless around here.

How dare you call people around here homers when you are so clearly biased and trolling. That’s an embarrassing take.

Not only that, but you call for Reds to get decent mgmt, when you yourself have ragged on Winker, Votto, Castellanos, Bauer, Cueto, Castillo, et al over recent years. Let’s not act like you have properly identified any talent on this team in recent years that suggests your takes are worth any value.

Btw, still waiting for the Reds to remove Castillo from the rotation for Jeff Hoffman.

Huh?

I was saying if Cast has lingering health problems because of the wrist, he’s risking. Sure I was being hyperbolic, but the point is: would he rather have guaranteed money or go on the market with serious health question marks?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Huh?

I was saying if Cast has lingering health problems because of the wrist, he’s risking. Sure I was being hyperbolic, but the point is: would he rather have guaranteed money or go on the market with serious health question marks?
    If that’s the point, then there is truth to it.

The NRI thing was comical though.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Quote Originally Posted by SErebel11 View Post
    A trade that could work for both teams:

Trade Barnhart to Toronto for SS Kevin Smith AAA and C Riley Adams AAA

Tucker Barnhart is a moveable piece. I really like Barnhart and feel like he is under appreciated but there are teams that could use him as a significant upgrade:

Barnhart would be attractive to several teams but the one I am targeting is Toronto. Toronto has a healthy farm system and a young roster.

The Blue Jays have a SS blocked at AAA. He is currently their 27th ranked prospect but is likely in the 10-15 range now.

Kevin Smith is an older guy at age 25.

He is OPSing .968 in AAA with 16 homeruns. He has dropped his strikeout rate a bunch. He is certainly a piece they would move in the right deal. Why not add more competition at SS for the upcoming season with this guy? Maybe, he would be a good call up now. The Reds are not getting any of the big free agent shortstops to Cincinnati next off season.

Riley Adams could slot in as a backup catcher for Stephenson
    Also, Mallrats is a great movie and I refuse to watch it 20 years later to ruin my nostalgia.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyjection19 View Post
    I also wonder whether we will pick up Barnhart's option. .
    I predict we don't. Ty Stephenson gives them the perfect out. "It's Ty's time to be the starter".
    And honestly, I don't disagree with it.
    Think about it Barnhart is due about 7 million next year.. I think Miley is about 8 or 9 million.
    If there's a cash crunch, Barnhart is the most expendable.
    If there's not a cash crunch, use that 7 million to start fixing the pen or fix another area of need.
    If the Reds are shopping Barnhart now (I have no idea, but let's say hypothetically) and he's not attracting a good return now, he's not going to get a good return this winter or next year either.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

11. Likes:

Flyer Guy (07-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I predict we don't. Ty Stephenson gives them the perfect out. "It's Ty's time to be the starter".
    Think about it Barnhart is due about 7 million next year.. I think Miley is about 8 or 9 million.
    If there's not a cash crunch, use that 7 million to start fixing the pen or fix another area of need.
    If the Reds are shopping Barnhart now (I have no idea, but let's say hypothetically) and he's not attracting a good return now, he's not going to get a good return this winter or next year either.
    Not necessarily. Clubs are generally more likely to shop for catchers in the offseason than at the deadline (unless they are looking for a bat-first catcher, or they have a desperate need). It gives the catcher all of Spring Training to get to know his new pitching staff, rather than learning on the fly at the trade deadline.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

13. Likes:

Griffey012 (07-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I doubt they are shopping him now. They are trying to win. They can exercise the option and trade him. If they can't get a good return, keep him.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Not necessarily. Clubs are generally more likely to shop for catchers in the offseason than at the deadline (unless they are looking for a bat-first catcher, or they have a desperate need). It gives the catcher all of Spring Training to get to know his new pitching staff, rather than learning on the fly at the trade deadline.
    Guys like Tucker are readily available in the winter, especially if a club is willing to spend 7 million.
    He's not going to have much trade value, Reds have Stephenson to start. Not worth the risk to pick up his option and either be stuck with him (trying to get good value) or trade him for peanuts.
    Unless Stephenson gets hurt, the Reds are not going to pick up Barnhart's option.
    Think about it.. They had a pretty good team going into this season and sabotaged it by putting Suarez and SS and having a horrible bullpen. Next year, some pending FAs, raises to other players. Why would they pay Barnhart 7 million to be a backup (or take time away from Ty)? Any [healthy] player that does not have good trade value now will probably not trade value in the offseason either, as there's plenty of guys looking for jobs in the winter that you don't have to give up prospects for.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I doubt they are shopping him now. They are trying to win. They can exercise the option and trade him. If they can't get a good return, keep him.
    back-up catcher isnt something the team needs to hold on to. Trade him now for bullpen or other usable pieces that help the team. Waiting until he has less value and is more expensive to trade doesnt really make sense.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (07-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    back-up catcher isnt something the team needs to hold on to. Trade him now for bullpen or other usable pieces that help the team. Waiting until he has less value and is more expensive to trade doesnt really make sense.
    I'm fine with trading him now. I just don't think the Reds are shopping him. The post I was responding too said if they didn't get something now, we know he has no value. I think they won't get something for him because they aren't shopping him and it has no reflection on his value. I still think they can get a decent prospect for him over the winter if they exercise the option.

One thought might be that Stephenson's bat us too important moving forward to limit his PAs by having him catch. Maybe of position switch, to say RF when Cast walks, makes sense and you'd keep Barnhart as the primary catcher. I don't really like the idea, but I see logic to it. What I'd like to see is the following;

1. Trade Barnhart for a fairly solid pitching prospect who will be ready in 2022.
    2. Make Stephenson the primary catcher who plays against RHP.
    3. Get a RH back-up who platoons with Votto or Moose and catches against LHP with Stephenson playing 1B or DH on those days.

This allows Stephenson's bat to stay in the line-up 135 times per year or so while still keeping him from having to catch more than 100 games.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

19. Likes:

REDREAD (07-26-2021),Revering4Blue (07-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm fine with trading him now. I just don't think the Reds are shopping him. The post I was responding too said if they didn't get something now, we know he has no value. I think they won't get something for him because they aren't shopping him and it has no reflection on his value. I still think they can get a decent prospect for him over the winter if they exercise the option.

One thought might be that Stephenson's bat us too important moving forward to limit his PAs by having him catch. Maybe of position switch, to say RF when Cast walks, makes sense and you'd keep Barnhart as the primary catcher. I don't really like the idea, but I see logic to it. What I'd like to see is the following;

1. Trade Barnhart for a fairly solid pitching prospect who will be ready in 2022.
    2. Make Stephenson the primary catcher who plays against RHP.
    3. Get a RH back-up who platoons with Votto or Moose and catches against LHP with Stephenson playing 1B or DH on those days.

This allows Stephenson's bat to stay in the line-up 135 times per year or so while still keeping him from having to catch more than 100 games.
    Yep, that sounds good. Im skeptical they pick up barnharts option based on the Bradley situation last year...

21. Likes:

mth123 (07-26-2021),REDREAD (07-26-2021),Revering4Blue (07-26-2021)

I think picking up the Barnhart option might be a good move. What is the market value of a gold glove winning catcher with a decent bat? Is 7 million low or high? If its low, then you come out ahead if you can work a good trade or just sell the contract. Another thing I just thought of is that Barnhart is so good with pitchers tjat he could be a huge benefit with possibly Greene and Lodolo coming up next year. No doubt that Stephenson is the future and also the present but I don't think its wise to just let Tucker walk with nothing to show for it

23. Likes:

Powder River (07-26-2021)

Reds fans can be maddening sometimes. Everyone in this thread so certain that there’s no way this team makes the playoffs with 63 games remaining already seems to have forgotten that very nearly this same team squeaked into the playoffs last year by getting hot in the final 2 weeks of the season.

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

25. Likes:

Moose Herd (07-26-2021)

Turn Off Ads?