Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Making Me Angry Today - Tejay Antone Edition

Re: What's Making Me Angry Today - Tejay Antone Edition

News flash… pitchers get hurt.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Likes:

mth123 (06-12-2021),Ron Madden (06-11-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

From Goldsmith Twitter:

Tejay Antone says he has been dealing with forearm tightness the last few weeks.

“There were a couple outings where it delayed me getting back available. It’s been under the radar."
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-11-2021)

Ah forearm issues. Everyone’s favorite Tommy John precursor. We just can’t have nice things. Winker and Castellanos are probably about to serve 80 games for steroids. Sonny Gray is going to retire and join green peace. Jonathan India will never get another hit. Tyler Mahle will get the yips. Suarez will be around tho.

The discussion about Reds’ pitching is too concentrated on who’s a starter and who’s a reliever.

The overall issue has always been lack of pitching depth. Innings coverage. Surviving 162 games.

When you don’t have enough good pitchers, it taxes everybody, starters and relievers, especially the better group.

The only slight benefit is this situation affords opportunities to the younger pitchers - as long as you have the talent and they aren’t being rushed excessively.

A decline in Reds’ pitching was not unexpected this season, though it’s tough to sit through injuries to guys like Gray and Antone. Reds should not repeat this in future years, you can’t win with very thin pitching.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-11-2021 at 05:40 PM.

8. Likes:

757690 (06-11-2021),dfs (06-12-2021),jimbo (06-12-2021),Mitri (06-11-2021),mth123 (06-12-2021),RED VAN HOT (06-12-2021),wlf WV (06-12-2021)

Fitting title and appropriate for today....

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Makes perfect sense not to fill his spot.

Reds do really well with injury ID and treatment, so I’m sure he’ll be back right on schedule. Or he and Moustakas will decide to start breakdancing in the clubhouse, causing irreparable harm to their heels.

And why gild the lily? This pen is probably the closest thing to actual perfection since George Bluth’s cornballer.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

11. Likes:

Phoenix2 (06-11-2021)

C. Trent Rosecrans
    @ctrent
    “It’s not in the UCL area,” Antone said of the soreness. Antone’s had Tommy John surgery before. That’s why he said he was confidence he could push through it.
    Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    David Bell said he's "very confident" Tejay Antone will be ready to return next Thursday, which is the first day he's eligible to be activated from the IL.
    (The move is backdated)
    C. Trent Rosecrans
    @ctrent
    The Reds aren’t going to fill Antone’s roster spot tonight. RHP Tony Santillan will start Sunday.

The team will also need to create a 40-man spot for Aristides Aquino on Sunday.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 06-12-2021 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    News flash… pitchers get hurt.
    Yep. All the more reason not to give guys away for nothing.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The discussion about Reds’ pitching is too concentrated on who’s a starter and who’s a reliever.

The overall issue has always been lack of pitching depth. Innings coverage. Surviving 162 games.

When you don’t have enough good pitchers, it taxes everybody, starters and relievers, especially the better group.

The only slight benefit is this situation affords opportunities to the younger pitchers - as long as you have the talent and they aren’t being rushed excessively.

A decline in Reds’ pitching was not unexpected this season, though it’s tough to sit through injuries to guys like Gray and Antone. Reds should not repeat this in future years, you can’t win with very thin pitching.
    The sad part is we saw them do the thin pitching route 3 years ago. I guess I think they'll do it again and again.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

bm1475 (06-12-2021),Roy Tucker (06-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    Ah forearm issues. Everyone’s favorite Tommy John precursor. We just can’t have nice things. Winker and Castellanos are probably about to serve 80 games for steroids. Sonny Gray is going to retire and join green peace. Jonathan India will never get another hit. Tyler Mahle will get the yips. Suarez will be around tho.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The human arm was designed for many a things. But one of them wasn't throwing a round object 100 MPH, while trying to manipulate it to do tricks. Every 5th day, 5-6 innings, 90+ pitches. I don't know how they keep their arms from falling off, let alone avoiding some sort of injury. The Red's struggles with the DL isn't out of the norm when you take the time to look around MLB. A lot of strain you're putting on the human body all-around.

And IMO, that's why we've seen further "evolution" of what a starter is. Any start that gets you further into the latter innings of a game, requiring less BP useage, is a good thing. Especially with this current bullpen. But it appears to me that if your starter can get you into the sixth inning (3rd time going thru lineup), and you can turn it over to some hammers for those 2+ innings, that's a good combination.

Unfortunately, the Reds management gets their hammers here ...

Last edited by GAC; 06-12-2021 at 03:41 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

18. Likes:

jimbo (06-12-2021),NebraskaRed (06-12-2021),Red Raindog (06-12-2021),wlf WV (06-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Reds deciding not to call anyone up after putting Antone on the IL just screams "What does it matter?"
    There are only five pitchers on the 40-man roster who are not already on the active roster or DL. Tony Santillan is going to be called up Sunday to start, so there is no need to activate him early. Riley O'Brien is a starting pitcher at Louisville, so calling him up to be in the Reds bullpen for two days before Santillan arrives makes no sense. Jared Solomon is currently on the 60-day DL at Chattanooga. So that would leave only two options -- Jose DeLeon and Cionel Perez. Personally, I would have brought one of them up (probably Perez), even if it were for only two days. But I can understand the sentiment of those who might say, "What's the point?"
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

20. Likes:

Mitri (06-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    There are only five pitchers on the 40-man roster who are not already on the active roster or DL. Tony Santillan is going to be called up Sunday to start, so there is no need to activate him early. Riley O'Brien is a starting pitcher at Louisville, so calling him up to be in the Reds bullpen for two days before Santillan arrives makes no sense. Jared Solomon is currently on the 60-day DL at Chattanooga. So that would leave only two options -- Jose DeLeon and Cionel Perez. Personally, I would have brought one of them up (probably Perez), even if it were for only two days. But I can understand the sentiment of those who might say, "What's the point?"
    That’s a good explanation. Tempest in a teapot.

36 year old Yusmeiro Petit has pitched 32 games/34.2 innings with a 7-0 2.86 ERA. I’m told wins and ERA are important stats. The only reason I ran into his stats is because I was looking to see how Cam Bedrosian was doing. 5.1 innings 0 runs. The fact he has not imploded is surprising.

Anyways this stinks. Every time they start getting a little momentum someone’s hurt. I also read on a game thread that the pitching coach emphasized getting strikeouts which is fine if you don’t trust this defense. If you don’t have the pitches to do that though then you have a bunch of walk machines.

If Atone has battled forearm soreness for weeks as he claimed he has, I am not sure that ten days on the DL will heal things enough to eliminate the pain. This may end up being a nagging type problem that lasts until the off-season.

As far as “could’ve’ s” and “should’ve’ s” with the bullpen, and building it, we can argue all day. It is what it is. In order to fix the problem, it will cost major prospect capital at this point, and the Reds cannot afford losing any of their top prospects - especially pitchers.
    Last edited by MikeS21; 06-12-2021 at 10:22 AM.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

24. Likes:

GAC (06-12-2021)

Turn Off Ads?