Turn Off Ads?
Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142 LastLast

Thread: Jose Barrero (Garcia)

Re: Jose Barrero (Garcia)

Jose Barrero showing strides at the plate

Jose Barrero, competing with Kevin Newman for the starting shortstop job, has started to see better results during spring training games at the plate. He entered Friday with five hits in 18 at-bats, one walk and six strikeouts after adopting a new batting stance in the offseason.

It’s just a matter of time," Reds Manager David Bell said Friday. "We were seeing it during (batting practice) and in the cage and all that, but it took a few games to get into the swing of things. Over the last week, he’s shown some great signs.

That’s all that matters in the end. He’s playing great defensively. He’s working hard and having really good at-bats. The way the ball is coming off the bat is different right now than it was last season."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...c/69974593007/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Jose Barrero showing strides at the plate

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...c/69974593007/
    He’s batting over .300 in spring play. Has he turned the corner and has won the starting job?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohiohaybaler View Post
    He’s batting over .300 in spring play. Has he turned the corner and has won the starting job?
    The huge red flags are still there. Striking out 36 percent of the time. It is nice to see the xbh. But to think he is going to have a babip over .500 like in spring training is foolish. But he has earned his spot on the roster. It is up to him now.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-30-2023),757690 (03-25-2023),Redhook (03-25-2023),Sea Ray (03-28-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    The huge red flags are still there. Striking out 36 percent of the time. It is nice to see the xbh. But to think he is going to have a babip over .500 like in spring training is foolish. But he has earned his spot on the roster. It is up to him now.
    Yeah, his old-school newspaper stats look great, but the concerns are still there. We’re all hoping for the best though and hopefully he’ll continue to gradually improve against major league starters.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

7. Likes:

757690 (03-25-2023)

Throughout Spring Training, Reds shortstop Jose Barrero often toted an iPad on a strap over his shoulder. The device went with him just about everywhere.

“My life,” the Spanish-speaking Barrero said in English.

The iPad wasn’t with Barrero during workouts just so he could stream movies or binge watch a TV series like “Outer Banks.” It was for helping him improve as a hitter. The soon-to-be 25-year-old usually fixed his iPad on a tripod during batting practice so he could go back later and watch his swings. He also downloaded video of his plate appearances from games to watch his approach.

“I thank the coaches, I thank everyone on the staff on the Cincinnati Reds that have given me this new way of seeing all the stuff that I need to see in order to help my career blossom as it is,” Barrero said via translator Jorge Merlos. “I've just really focused on watching my videos. I just focus on everything that can help me get to where I am now.”

During the offseason and while working with hitting coach Joel McKeithan, Barrero incorporated several changes to his approach – mainly involving eliminating a leg kick in favor of a toe tap. It continued to be a big focus for him this spring but initially, success was not coming.

Eventually, after a slow start, things started clicking. Barrero finished the Cactus League schedule batting .311/.380/.566 with one home run and 10 RBIs in 17 games.

“The adjustments he made at the plate have shown up,” Reds manager David Bell said. “He is more comfortable. His timing is better. His path to the ball is better. You want it so bad for him. Early in camp, he had a little bit of a tough stretch. Then like all good players, he made a pretty quick adjustment to get back on track. I thought that was probably the best sign.”

Meanwhile, Barrero has played exceptional defense as well. He’s demonstrated even more range and has made some stunning plays. In one game, he threw out a runner at first base while seated on the infield dirt.

Barrero has also gotten some time in center field this spring. There will be games this season, especially when Cincinnati is opposed by a left-handed starter, that Barrero plays there while Newman is at shortstop to get more right-handed bats in the lineup.

“We actually learned from the way he plays center that we can improve how he moves at short,” Bell said. “His instincts and his first step were so good in center field that we actually studied that. It helped him apply that a little bit to how he’s played short. It’s made him more free, natural and athletic.”
    story here:
    https://view.mail.mlblists.com/messa...3c7123645d/raw

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-28-2023)

I assume Newman will start, but what are the odds Barrero earned a legitimate look there?

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRedsFan97 View Post
    I assume Newman will start, but what are the odds Barrero earned a legitimate look there?
    I doubt they'll make a utility INF out of Barrero. If he's here he'll start until he shows he can't do it. Of course it's not my call. I could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I doubt they'll make a utility INF out of Barrero. If he's here he'll start until he shows he can't do it. Of course it's not my call. I could be wrong
    Could be right, and I hope you are. Newman has proven he’s not that great of a player, Barrero at least theoretically has upside even though he’s struggled in the Majors. I’d rather see him prove it, but I feel like they’ll go with Newman since he’s more of a known commodity.

Could be right, and I hope you are. Newman has proven he’s not that great of a player, Barrero at least theoretically has upside even though he’s struggled in the Majors. I’d rather see him prove it, but I feel like they’ll go with Newman since he’s more of a known commodity.
    We should be about seeing what we have in players like Barrero, not playing guys like Newman who's at best mediocre and isn't a starter on many teams

Read the story I linked in the post directly before your post
    During the offseason and while working with hitting coach Joel McKeithan, Barrero incorporated several changes to his approach – mainly involving eliminating a leg kick in favor of a toe tap. It continued to be a big focus for him this spring but initially, success was not coming.

Eventually, after a slow start, things started clicking. Barrero finished the Cactus League schedule batting .311/.380/.566 with one home run and 10 RBIs in 17 games.

“The adjustments he made at the plate have shown up,” Reds manager David Bell said. “He is more comfortable. His timing is better. His path to the ball is better. You want it so bad for him. Early in camp, he had a little bit of a tough stretch. Then like all good players, he made a pretty quick adjustment to get back on track. I thought that was probably the best sign.”

Barrero, who has a Minor League option left, broke camp with the team and will be on the Opening Day roster, likely starting at shortstop when the Reds play the Pirates.

15. Likes:

Sea Ray (03-28-2023),westofyou (03-28-2023)

Devil's in the details

17. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-28-2023)

Newman playing and Barrero sitting is a waste of the 2023 season. This is the year to find out what young players have a future in the big leagues.

19. Likes:

CaiGuy (03-30-2023),Ohiohaybaler (03-30-2023),Old school 1983 (03-30-2023),Ron Madden (03-28-2023),Sea Ray (03-28-2023),WrongVerb (03-28-2023)

Apologies, skimmed it and missed it. Thanks for the heads up. Hope its accurate.

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-28-2023)

Aristocratic Hoosier

I don't think Barrero has figured anything out. He could end up going 13 for 39 and look like the player we want, and then go 0 for 40 and we're right back to the start. He is going to strike out 3 times out of 9 at-bats. I think Newman will play SS until ELDC is ready for his audition.
    Someday, McLain may shove Steer into left field, which is -- as I recall -- what happened to Ryan Braun, who profited from that. I would say Steer could move to 1B and that's going to be eventually Tyler's until CES wins the job next spring. Either way, Barrero will continue to find work in the majors but if the Reds had hopes for him, he should have learned to do something else at the plate. Spring training is to show if a guy is in shape or isn't hurt. Not much else matters.
    The Reds have a couple of other infielders who will soon be noticed.

I agree.
    I believe Barrero will do well this year. You watch.

24. Likes:

mth123 (03-30-2023)

Turn Off Ads?