Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Jose Barrero (Garcia)

Re: Jose Barrero (Garcia)

Agree on Barrero. I'm guessing he'll have a strong spring and if so, they should hand him the job.

Any money spent, does not go to CF. It needs to be devoted to the bullpen. That's where the team is in deep trouble in 2022.

There are options in CF: Senzel, Friedl, Naquin and they could resign Delino or someone else to a minor league deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd give him about 1,000 ABs to see if he's anything. If I was disappointed after 2023, then I'd reassess.
    Aren't you the guy who's ready to jettison Nick Senzel for a bag of balls? He's got just more than half that number of ABs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Aren't you the guy who's ready to jettison Nick Senzel for a bag of balls? He's got just more than half that number of ABs.
    I recognize I'm using a sliding scale. Nick Senzel pisses me off. Also, he doesn't have the ABs because he can't stay healthy. One of these days he's going to stub his toe and spontaneously combust.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (12-04-2021),Chip R (12-06-2021),elrojo (12-12-2021),pahster (12-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Agreed unless another SS prospect comes along like a ball of fire. That’s the only way I move Barrero off SS.
    I wish you were making the decision. Unfortunately its the sad sack Reds making these decisions.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-05-2021)

I recognize I'm using a sliding scale. Nick Senzel pisses me off. Also, he doesn't have the ABs because he can't stay healthy. One of these days he's going to stub his toe and spontaneously combust.
    Without evidence to support my optimism, I keep thinking this is the year Senzel avoids the stubbed toe and gets 500 ab's and puts up India-like numbers.

9. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Without evidence to support my optimism, I keep thinking this is the year Senzel avoids the stubbed toe and gets 500 ab's and puts up India-like numbers.
    I think if he ever plays a full season, Senzel's mix of solid defense, speed, and offensive adequacy (with hit tool and power upside) will result in a 2.5 - 3.5 WAR CF.

But he's really struggled to get out of his own way physically.

11. Likes:

goreds2 (12-05-2021),Old school 1983 (12-05-2021),Ron Madden (12-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I think if he ever plays a full season, Senzel's mix of solid defense, speed, and offensive adequacy (with hit tool and power upside) will result in a 2.5 - 3.5 WAR CF.

But he's really struggled to get out of his own way physically.
    2022. Make it happen Nick!

If he can play 120 games and 500 ab's in centerfield it resolves a lot. Naquin and Friedl can caddy for him in centerfield. That leaves Barrero at SS and allows Farmer to bounce around the infield and maybe catch a little.

Moustakas and Suarez can argue over 3b, but it sure would be nice to get the contract done with a DH and stick Moose there. This offense will be fine without Castellanos if Senzel can play most of the season.

Why is it when I say this I get roasted?

Is it my deodorant?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

This might have been posted before but I didn’t go back through this thread to find out. This quote was something I read in this months Reds Report and it shocked me because I didn’t realize the decision had already been made on where Barrero was going to begin play for 2022…outfield.

This is the quote from the Dec 2021 Reds Report…

…the capable Farmer at shortstop could mean a move of highly regarded prospect Jose Barrero to right field…..
    “We’ll let him come into spring training and play outfield.” Krall said. He’s got tools to play at the major league level. He just needs to continue to develop to become a regular player. Kyle Farmer did a great job at shortstop this year. He is a tremendous player and leader with what he brought to the table. But no one is getting handed anything.”
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

The guy has struggled enough to hit in the big leagues as is and he’s an excellent SS, just let him play it FFS.

Only a carnival sideshow ass organization like this would move a good SS off of it for a guy like Kyle Farmer, and it’s all because they refuse to pay money for an actual outfielder so they’re spreading themselves thin like this instead.

16. Likes:

Chip R (12-16-2021),pahster (12-15-2021),RedsfaninMT (12-13-2021),RedTeamGo! (12-12-2021),Revering4Blue (12-12-2021),RiverRat13 (12-12-2021)

Good grief. Kyle Farmer is an end of the bench type player. What are we even doing here?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

18. Likes:

CaiGuy (12-13-2021),Old school 1983 (12-12-2021),pahster (12-15-2021)

I was one of Kyle Farmer’s biggest critics and doubters until last season. I am still dubious of his long term future as a starting SS.

However, last season, he was a solid MLB starting SS, with a 1.6 fWAR, and wasn’t even the starting SS until around a month into the season. That ranked him 22 overall in MLB. Probably not what one wants to see from SS if they are competing, but he’s not hurting the team there either.

If I were GM, I would trade him to a team needing a SS, he’s cheap and productive, so you should be able to get a decent prospect for him. Then make Barrero the starting SS.

My guess is that the Reds keep Farmer at SS and make Barrero a utility player, filling in all over the field, getting close to 500 PA’s. Not what I want to see but what seems the most likely.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

20. Likes:

M2 (12-12-2021),Ron Madden (12-12-2021)

WOW
    InvisibleRedNeck
    @reds_neck
    Replying to @nightengalejr
    Are MLB quality pitchers in the Dominican Winter League? I don't think so. Barrerro hit for average and power vs AAA last year that's why he got the call up. Once with the Reds he flopped against MLB pitching, as he did the year prior. Better than nothing I guess.
    Hope it helps.
    Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    If Jose Barrero wasn't called up in 2020 (and that was all about the Reds' depth at SS), I think the hype around him would be a lot higher.

He had 13 MLB starts last season. I don't think that's enough to qualify for "flopped against MLB pitching."

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I was one of Kyle Farmer’s biggest critics and doubters until last season. I am still dubious of his long term future as a starting SS.

However, last season, he was a solid MLB starting SS, with a 1.6 fWAR, and wasn’t even the starting SS until around a month into the season. That ranked him 22 overall in MLB. Probably not what one wants to see from SS if they are competing, but he’s not hurting the team there either.

If I were GM, I would trade him to a team needing a SS, he’s cheap and productive, so you should be able to get a decent prospect for him. Then make Barrero the starting SS.

My guess is that the Reds keep Farmer at SS and make Barrero a utility player, filling in all over the field, getting close to 500 PA’s. Not what I want to see but what seems the most likely.
    It's the battle between what would a smart team do vs. what will the Reds do?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

23. Likes:

Chip R (12-16-2021),Fil3232 (12-12-2021),pahster (12-15-2021),RedsfaninMT (12-13-2021),Ron Madden (12-12-2021),Roy Tucker (12-12-2021)

I'm in the minority that believes that moving Barrero to the outfield makes sense. Farmer is defensively adequate at SS. Given the opportunity to play every day his offense has improved as well. On the other hand, the Reds are not likely to sign an outfielder capable of being an everyday player. They will probably sign outfield depth with an invite to spring training. Barrero may have the potential to be a plus defender at SS, but he's not there yet. The outfield is the greater need, especially RHH's.

My disappointment with the Reds is in their failure to pick up the options on Barnhart and Miley. A good defensive catcher can affect the game in subtle ways. When paired with a pitcher who can locate his pitches well, a catcher can increase the probability that the batter will hit where the defense wants him to hit. I think they will miss these two.

25. Likes:

elrojo (12-12-2021)

Turn Off Ads?