Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Jose Barrero (Garcia)

Re: Jose Barrero (Garcia)

I’m not sure what the usual drill is for AAA exposure. But 70 PAs at that level seems skimpy to me.

Reds don’t want to bring up Barrero and have to send him back.

I’d let the AAA pitchers adjust to him, they’ve now had a few weeks to do so. See how he does, give it until mid-August.

Then bring him up and play him everyday and start him in 2022.

2. Likes:

Crosley58 (07-26-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I’m not sure what the usual drill is for AAA exposure. But 70 PAs at that level seems skimpy to me.

I’d let the AAA pitchers adjust to him and see how he does. Give it until mid-August.

Challenge thy hitters
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

5. Likes:

traderumor (07-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Challenge thy hitters
    But not prematurely.

Or else, you’ll be unchallenging them in the minors again very soon.

I’d let the AAA pitchers adjust to him, they’ve now had a few weeks to do so. See how he does, give it until mid-August.

The Reds are in a playoff push, SS is an offensive blackhole, it's time to gamble a little bit.

8. Likes:

757690 (07-18-2021),Benihana (07-18-2021),Fil3232 (07-18-2021),M2 (07-18-2021),Mitri (07-18-2021),Old school 1983 (07-18-2021),Patrick Bateman (07-18-2021),Powder River (07-18-2021),Tom Servo (07-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    The Reds are in a playoff push, SS is an offensive blackhole, it's time to gamble a little bit.
    That’s a fair opinion.

I’d be more inclined to do that if Reds truly make a playoff push with the roster. Add some pitching, in particular.

If not, I’d be protective of the future and make double sure that Barrero is ready. He wasn’t last season and we don’t want a repeat.

That’s a fair opinion.

I’d be more inclined to do that if Reds truly make a playoff push with the roster. Add some pitching, in particular.

If not, I’d be protective of the future and make double sure that Barrero is ready. He wasn’t last season and we don’t want a repeat.
    Rushing him last season hasn’t seemed to have slowed his development. If anything, it seems like it sped it up.

That is the basis for “challenge thy hitters.” History has shown us that most of the time, hitters can be rushed and it doesn’t slow their development. The opposite is true for pitchers, hence the other slogan, “coddle thy pitchers.”

11. Likes:

Chip R (07-19-2021),HammerTime (07-18-2021),M2 (07-18-2021),Mitri (07-18-2021),Ron Madden (07-18-2021)

The Reds need a spark especially with Winker in a month long slump. Barrero is really the only in house option to provide an offensive spark from the minors, and he plays one of the three positions that need upgraded(SS 3B and CF). Baseball is baseball bring the kid up and see what he can do.

This is how I feel....if the team is not going to add players via trades, then they have to atleast take some educated risks and see if some young players can add production/excitement into the roster. I would bet the odds are higher that Barrero improves the roster than the odds this team makes the playoffs without any changes.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

15. Likes:

dubc47834 (07-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Rushing him last season hasn’t seemed to have slowed his development. If anything, it seems like it sped it up.

That is the basis for “challenge thy hitters.” History has shown us that most of the time, hitters can be rushed and it doesn’t slow their development. The opposite is true for pitchers, hence the other slogan, “coddle thy pitchers.”
    Even if your unproven “history” is accurate, it misses the point.

Calling up unready prospects helps nobody. Not the kid. Not the team. And 70 AAA PAs likely doesn’t show his readiness for success in the bigs just yet.

Reds spent much of this season getting Barerro ready. Complete the job - unless you’re making a full court press to upgrade the team for a playoff run. Which so far, they’re not.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-18-2021 at 07:06 PM.

I've always believed that this line of thought is flimsy. Plenty of guys who never panned out the way they were supposed to were never sent back to the minors, and plenty of guys who got sent back down came back up and kicked ass.

I understand your reticence about Barrero, I do. I was there with you...until this last week when he's gone Super Saiyan for the Bats. If the Reds didn't think he was close they would have kept him in Chattanooga longer, they bumped him up to Louisville in late June. All he's done so far in July is hit .319/.433/.596 with 4 HRs. It's an appropriate time to call him up.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I've always believed that this line of thought is flimsy. Plenty of guys who never panned out the way they were supposed to were never sent back to the minors, and plenty of guys who got sent back down came back up and kicked ass.

I understand your reticence about Barrero, I do. I was there with you...until this last week when he's gone Super Saiyan for the Bats. If the Reds didn't think he was close they would have kept him in Chattanooga longer, they bumped him up to Louisville in late June. All he's done so far in July is hit .319/.433/.596 with 4 HRs. It's an appropriate time to call him up.
    The sample of success seems too small. Maybe that opponent he dominated has lousy pitching.

I’m sure Reds are watching it and will make the best decision.

Even if your unproven “history” is accurate, it misses the point.

Calling up unready prospects helps nobody. Not the kid. Not the team. And 70 AAA PAs likely doesn’t show his readiness for success in the bigs just yet.

Reds spent much of this season getting Barerro ready. Complete the job - unless you’re making a full court press to upgrade the team for a playoff run. Which so far, they’re not.
    The Reds absolutely should be trying to make this team better for this season. Even if they think they are out of the playoff race, which they are not, they need to always be committed to putting the best team possible on the field. They owe that to the players on the current team and the most importantly, to the fans.

I’m sure Reds are watching it and will make the best decision.
    Considering how they have handled the SS position so far this season, and the pen, and other areas, it’s difficult to read this without laughing.

21. Likes:

dfs (07-18-2021),Kinsm (07-18-2021),Mitri (07-18-2021)

Why wait till mid August? Why not just wait till opening day 2022 or July 18th 2022.

We're talking about a player who has already spent 3 months in the majors. If a callup now instead of mid August ruins him then he was probably never going to be successful anyway.

The Reds ownership owes it to their fanbase to do something at this point. Would it be foolish to chase a 15% playoff berth? Yeah probably, but this team has a winning % above .500 with about 10 weeks left, sh$t or get off the pot time.

23. Likes:

Fil3232 (07-18-2021),HammerTime (07-18-2021),Powder River (07-18-2021),traderumor (07-19-2021)

Turn Off Ads?