Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Jose Barrero (Garcia)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Jose Barrero (Garcia)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    True. But the purpose would be to learn a new position, at least get well acquainted, in the off-season. I like Farmer. He's put up a 700+ OPS, and played an admirable SS IMO. But at age 31 he's not the long-term answer at SS. So I guess I can turn the question around on myself and ask "Why then have Barrero learn a new position if he's going to end up at SS at some point in the immediate future?
    I agree. Why not Jose at SS and Farmer in CF?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think clearly Farmer is not fast enough to play CF, but he sure is a helluva shortstop!

4. Likes:

DocRed (09-21-2021),GAC (09-21-2021)

Reds should use Barrero, India and Farmer as a three-headed middle infield next year. Doesn’t preclude Farmer or the others from occasionally moving around the diamond if there’s a need.

For starting CF, they should go out and get a good center fielder in the market.

Hopefully Reds will rely less on playing guys out of position, moving guys to new positions at the big league level, all to avoid getting the real thing in the marketplace.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-18-2021 at 10:57 AM.

6. Likes:

UK Reds Fan (09-18-2021)

Farmer reminds me of Zach Cozart. Solid and makes the plays he’s supposed to make. No flash to his game at all. And his bat was meh (apart from 2017).

I’d love it if in the off-season, they sit down with Farmer and say “Kyle, we love what you’ve done and what you bring to the team. We’d like you to be our super sub and play a little OF and spot start at SS and 3B. You’ll get all the ABs you want”.

I think they’ve worn Farmer down a bit too much.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

8. Likes:

BillDoran (09-21-2021),cumberlandreds (09-20-2021),Old school 1983 (09-18-2021),Ron Madden (09-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Farmer reminds me of Zach Cozart. Solid and makes the plays he’s supposed to make. No flash to his game at all. And his bat was meh (apart from 2017).

I’d love it if in the off-season, they sit down with Farmer and say “Kyle, we love what you’ve done and what you bring to the team. We’d like you to be our super sub and play a little OF and spot start at SS and 3B. You’ll get all the ABs you want”.

I think they’ve worn Farmer down a bit too much.
    Agree with a slight difference. Barrero is still young and unpolished. I’d like to see Farmer play quite a bit of shortstop next year. Also some second base, India didn’t get much rest this season.

That’s why I referred to a three-headed middle infield. And yes, Farmer can play some other positions too. He might be a choice against LHP to get Votto rest.

But his anchor should be in the middle infield IMO.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-18-2021 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Agree with a slight difference. Barrero is still young and unpolished. I’d like to see Farmer play quite a bit of shortstop next year. Also some second base, India didn’t get much rest this season.

That’s why I referred to a three-headed middle infield. And yes, Farmer can play some other positions too. He might be a choice against LHP to get Votto rest.

Makes sense. Gives Barrero a little cushion to ease in a bit more.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

11. Likes:

Kc61 (09-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

I think next season you start with what we know. Votto, India, Barrero, Suarez and Moose take 4 IF spots and DH as the named starter, but there will be a lot of mixing and matching. I think Senzel, Farmer and Schrock all fill multi-position utility roles. Stephenson is the catcher and possibly 1B or DH against LHP with Votto and Moose sitting. Winker is the LF and Naquin the left handed side of a RF platoon. That leaves another catcher (RH Bat who can play against LHP while Votto sits and Stephenson plays 1B). A real Cf who can hit, run, field and throw. Haven't had that here since Griffey's first season and a RH RF type to platoon with Naquin.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

CaiGuy (09-21-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

If Barrero starts less than 140 games next year, I would consider that a baseball war crime. Especially if it’s in favor of Kyle Farmer.

15. Likes:

Chip R (09-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    If Barrero starts less than 140 games next year, I would consider that a baseball war crime. Especially if it’s in favor of Kyle Farmer.
    I think he gets penciled in as the starter going into the season. How man starts he gets are purely based on how he plays. If he hits, he starts the 140 or so you suggest and Farmer backs him up and plays other positions (including C, OF and 1B on occasion). If he doesn't hit, I don't think he should be guaranteed anything.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think he gets penciled in as the starter going into the season. How man starts he gets are purely based on how he plays. If he hits, he starts the 140 or so you suggest and Farmer backs him up and plays other positions (including C, OF and 1B on occasion). If he doesn't hit, I don't think he should be guaranteed anything.
    Sure if he falls flat on his face I could see him getting more limited playing time, but you gotta give these guys the chance to adjust to MLB pitching as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Sure if he falls flat on his face I could see him getting more limited playing time, but you gotta give these guys the chance to adjust to MLB pitching as well.
    I'd give him until Memorial day. If his OPS is below .700 at that point, he'd sit more often.

And we have "I don't know" playing 3B in 2022! lol
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

20. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-21-2021),SomeCallMeTim (09-21-2021)

why? because? and I dont care? Oh thats our shortstop

I'd start with NEVER having Moose and Suarez in the lineup at the same time. Depending on who you're fighting, you can with one hand behind your back. Otherwise you're going down kicking.

Let this kid play. He needs to show hes not overmatched at some point.

Turn Off Ads?