Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Jose Barrero (Garcia)

Re: Jose Barrero (Garcia)

I'm going to quote my own comment from another thread to bring it into here...

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Barrero is past the point where if he were to be called up today his accrued service time in 2021 if not reoptioned this year + the service time he picked up in 2020 (92 days) would still have him below 1 year of service time at the end of the season.

There are only 78 more days of the regular season remaining.

I'd be calling him up now, they have to win these next two weeks to have any shot. His offense, even if putrid would be on par with the production they are already getting out of the position (Farmer has a 65 OPS+), the plus defense would warrant it. Fingers crossed he actually produces offensively, hope that the futures game gave him a confidence boost - reward him now.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-23-2021),1thru5 (07-18-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Thanks Kinsm, I was curious about his service time.

There really isn’t much of an argument for keeping him down anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The sample of success seems too small. Maybe that opponent he dominated has lousy pitching.

I’m sure Reds are watching it and will make the best decision.
    His time in AAA is likely to be limited. He's only got six weeks left there. He's raking. There's zero doubt he's going to be the Reds' SS moving forward. Also seems like a pretty safe bet he can out-produce Kyle Farmer. It becomes a question of how long do they postpone the inevitable? There's no service time reason to keep him down there. It becomes increasingly difficult to see what developmental purpose it serves to have him in AAA. Unless they're trading for a short-term SS fix, he's the best and only option. My guess is he's up by the start of August.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    His time in AAA is likely to be limited. He's only got six weeks left there. He's raking. There's zero doubt he's going to be the Reds' SS moving forward. Also seems like a pretty safe bet he can out-produce Kyle Farmer. It becomes a question of how long do they postpone the inevitable? There's no service time reason to keep him down there. It becomes increasingly difficult to see what developmental purpose it serves to have him in AAA. Unless they're trading for a short-term SS fix, he's the best and only option. My guess is he's up by the start of August.
    Thanks for the response but there’s not much difference between first of August and mid-August, which I suggested. Point is Reds can’t and likely won’t be moved by fans’ typical clamor to bring up a prospect after some good games.

The developmental purpose of AAA was to get him hitting work against experienced, savvy pitchers - before facing the tougher pitchers in the bigs. The Reds will decide if that’s been sufficiently satisfied by his 70 PAs. I’m confident they will make a sound decision, however they go.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-18-2021 at 08:49 PM.

Thanks for the response but there’s not much difference between first of August and mid-August, which I suggested. Point is Reds can’t and likely won’t be moved by fans’ typical clamor to bring up a prospect after some good games.

The developmental purpose of AAA was to get him hitting work against experienced, savvy pitchers - before facing the tougher pitchers in the bigs. The Reds will decide if that’s been sufficiently satisfied by his 70 PAs. I’m confident they will make a sound decision, however they go.
    I don't think it's developmental at this juncture. 2, 4 or 6 weeks at AAA isn't going to move his margins. He's coming soon. How soon likely depends on what kind of work they're looking to do in the trade market. They are now in the position of playing hardball with the Rockies and Marlins. No need to move much in the way of talent when Barrero is this close. My guess is it's just a matter of them sorting out the trade market.

9. Likes:

Redeyecat (07-22-2021),Tom Servo (07-18-2021)

Just a hunch. I think he gets the call tomorrow. If not then for the first game of the next homestand.

11. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Just a hunch. I think he gets the call tomorrow. If not then for the first game of the next homestand.
    With Lopez going down for Gray, and now a spot opening with Lorenzen on the DL, that makes sense.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

13. Likes:

KeefeCato (07-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Why wait till mid August? Why not just wait till opening day 2022 or July 18th 2022.

We're talking about a player who has already spent 3 months in the majors. If a callup now instead of mid August ruins him then he was probably never going to be successful anyway.

The Reds ownership owes it to their fanbase to do something at this point. Would it be foolish to chase a 15% playoff berth? Yeah probably, but this team has a winning % above .500 with about 10 weeks left, sh$t or get off the pot time.
    This 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    All he's done so far in July is hit .319/.433/.596 with 4 HRs. It's an appropriate time to call him up.
    Barrero went 1-3 tonight with a double and two walks so bump his line for July up to .320/.446/.600. It's time.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

16. Likes:

adkindo (07-18-2021),Redeyecat (07-22-2021),Ron Madden (07-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Barrero went 1-3 tonight with a double and two walks so bump his line for July up to .320/.446/.600. It's time.

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-18-2021),SomeCallMeTim (07-19-2021),Tom Servo (07-18-2021)

If Barrero comes up, shows out and proves he will have a lock on the SS position for much of the decade....some part of the season would have to be seen as a success to have 3 position player rookies to solidify themselves in the same year. If he could appear in the same mold as Stephenson and India, that would be big in my opinion.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    If Barrero comes up, shows out and proves he will have a lock on the SS position for much of the decade....some part of the season would have to be seen as a success to have 3 position player rookies to solidify themselves in the same year. If he could appear in the same mold as Stephenson and India, that would be big in my opinion.
    That would be bigger than big - whatever that means, lol.... Go get a legit young centerfielder and we would be set up the middle for a good while. One can't help but dream.

22. Likes:

M2 (07-19-2021),Revering4Blue (07-19-2021)

India and Stephenson played a combined 0 games in AAA and they seem to be getting by just fine. Plus Barreo is putting up way better numbers this year than those two ever did in the minors.

24. Likes:

BoxingRed (07-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    India and Stephenson played a combined 0 games in AAA and they seem to be getting by just fine. Plus Barreo is putting up way better numbers this year than those two ever did in the minors.
    Well, Tyler and Jonathan used Prasco instead of AAA. It worked out. So let’s just eliminate AAA. Nobody needs it. After all, Tyler and Jonathan.

Barrero started shaky at AAA. He’s had four consecutive good hitting games. Four. Is that what Reds were looking for?

Presumably the Reds’ professionals will decide if he’s ready. And there is some urgency. But nobody can convince me Reds sent him to AAA just looking for a four game hot streak. That’s not player development.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-19-2021 at 11:40 AM.

Well, Tyler and Jonathan used Prasco instead of AAA. It worked out. So let’s just eliminate AAA. Nobody needs it. After all, Tyler and Jonathan.

Barrero started shaky at AAA. He’s had four consecutive good hitting games. Four. Is that what Reds were looking for?

Presumably the Reds’ professionals will decide if he’s ready. And there is some urgency. But nobody can convince me Reds sent him to AAA just to see a four game hot streak.
    I am not sure I understand your position. Are you suggesting that he should be called up, but you would just prefer he have a little more seasoning in AAA? Or are you suggesting that it would be better to roll with Farmer for the rest of the season?
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

27. Likes:

Redeyecat (07-22-2021)

Turn Off Ads?