Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Irrational Prediction: Reds will win in June

Irrational Prediction: Reds will win in June

So obviously things aren't great now. Since salvaging a split at Coors to inch back to .500, we're a cool 3-9, thanks mostly to a woeful 2020-style offense and also some pretty mediocre pitching. Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but I think this team has a run in it in the upcoming month. Through a combination of a gradually stabilizing rotation and the return of some key pieces to the offense, I think the Reds are poised to have a solid month. Will it be enough to put off the fire sale? That's hard to say, and given our current record, not entirely within their control - but I can see some reasons for optimism.

The Starting Rotation - Apart from an inexplicable abomination against the Giants, Tyler Mahle has been rock-solid all year. He's struggled to provide length, but has a 3.89 FIP, and a 10.0 K/9, and the league has managed a .306 OBP against him, despite his outlier against SFO throwing off the sample. Sonny Gray has shown several signs that he's healthy and ready to deliver midseason form. Since his first two starts (which were essentially spring training for him), he's put up a 2.36 ERA, a 40:14 K:BB, and an OPS against of .589. Wade Miley should return, and I see no reason he can't get back to where he was. I feel like his DL stint was likely related to him going well beyond his normal pitch count for his no-hitter. Since that's unlikely to happen again, a solid 5-6 inning on 90 pitches should be what we expect. Castillo is a total wild card at this point. I'd love to tell you that he'll return to his career averages in ERA and K-rate in June, but that's really not based on anything other than blind hope. It's hard to imagine him being worse, though. Then there's Vladimir Gutierrez, who acquitted himself quite nicely against the Cubs on Friday, Certainly, I don't expect him to be at 67 pitches through 5 every outing - his lack of swing-and-miss stuff will lead to some outings in which he gets shelled - but I believe what Jeff Hoffman was giving us is about his floor. 4 IP per start with a 4.61 ERA would be a disappointment. I think he has a Miley-ceiling and a Hoffman-floor. And he'll add some length either way, which should take some pressure off of the bullpen.

Guys getting healthy - We should see Votto back very soon - perhaps after the PHI series. Moustakas is in limbo, but hopefully can get back by mid-June. Eugenio Suarez could get back to his career averages this month as well. Since May 10th, he has a respectable .768 OPS despite an awful .190 BAbip. While I understand that Votto and Moustakas are not world-beaters at this stage in their respective careers, they are certainly better than the Kyle Famers and Alex Blandinos of the world. Hopefully they can provide some power and get Winker and Castellanos to see a few more hittable pitches.

I'm hoping the Reds can close out May with two wins. Mahle goes tomorrow and he's our best guy and he's been pretty good against the Cubs. We crushed Cubs starter Jake Arrieta last time out, and he's been mostly mediocre for the past few weeks. Miley vs. Velasques and the Phillies on Monday is hard to predict, but the Phils have been hit hard with injuries and Velasquez is trash (despite his good ERA so far in 2021). Let's say we win em both and enter June with a 24-28 record. The Reds play 27 games in June and 16 of them are against teams above .500. Six of the remaining 11 are against 2020 playoff teams - the Twins and the Braves (*insert PTSD flashback here). I'm still saying 16-11 to put us at 40-39 entering July, and at least giving us some pause before we sell off everything that isn't bolted down. If the Cubs and Cards continue to roll, or if the Brewers catch fire and play to their capability, it likely won't matter much. Here's hoping. Otherwise, what are we even doing here?

2. Likes:

DocRed (06-16-2021),Fil3232 (05-31-2021),M2 (05-31-2021),mbgrayson (05-31-2021),RedEye (06-17-2021),Ron Madden (06-17-2021),WildcatFan (06-06-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Irrational Prediction: Reds will win in June

I'm not going to argue against your optimism..
    It's just that last statement.. what are we even doing here?
    I'm here to enjoy the season, game by game. Without going into detail, the team will probably be worse next year, so I'm trying to
    watch as many games as I can this year.
    I think someone a long time ago said that being a Reds fan was kind of like being in an abusive relationship and not being able to leave. That's a pretty good analogy.
    Anyhow, the victories this year have been sweet. I don't think I've ever gotten so excited when the bullpen can pitch 4 scoreless innings in a win .. stuff like that makes it fun to watch.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

5. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (05-30-2021)

The June schedule is tough. While there are some opponents currently below .500, bulk of the games are against Padres (six games, four in SD) and division rivals Cards and Brewers.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (05-30-2021),TheBigLebowski (05-30-2021)

The only way they win June is if there is no Bell making out the lineup. He makes me yearn for Dusty and I didn't like Dusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    The only way they win June is if there is no Bell making out the lineup. He makes me yearn for Dusty and I didn't like Dusty.
    I'm not the biggest Bell fan, but a tough dig when your options are Naquin, Schrock, Payton, Heineman, Blandino, and Farmer. It really makes very little difference what the order looks like.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Irrational Prediction: Reds will win in June

For the first time since 1969, when I first starting following the Cincinnati Reds, I am nearly totally disinterested. The culture, the management, the front office, the lack of talent on the roster...it’s just totally made me numb...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes:

Falls City Beer (05-30-2021),GAC (05-30-2021),REDREAD (05-30-2021)

Just like with Bengals ownership, with the Reds ownership I can never figure out if it is incompetence or willful negligence.

Like the SS thing last offseason. Think of all the problems that not signing a viable SS has lead to, directly or indirectly. How did that not get addressed? I understand having trouble signing pitchers to play at GASP, but good gloves and bats should be clamoring to sign and pad their stats here.

Some could say in the end it doesn't matter which. The results are the same regardless.

But if it was willful negligence for the sole purpose of minimizing spending while biding time as the franchise accrues value, I would probably find another team to root for. Whereas if it is incompetence, there would always be hope they would hire someone who knew what they were doing.

Frustrating as a fan either way though.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

13. Likes:

Falls City Beer (05-30-2021),REDREAD (05-30-2021),TheBigLebowski (05-30-2021),wlf WV (06-17-2021)

Lol

While recent play suggests it may not be a certainty, I don’t think it is irrational to predict that the Reds will win a game in the month of June.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

16. Likes:

SomeCallMeTim (05-30-2021)

They call me "chef"

Hot take: Reds will be tied for 1st in their division as early as Sunday, October 24th.

Sure they'll win in June. The question is how many? Hope I'm wrong, but with the way their pitching staff is (amazing looking at last year), they continue to slide slowly, gradually, into the abyss.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

19. Likes:

REDREAD (05-31-2021)

they will win 5 and lose 200 sure they will win l.o.l.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I’m not going to rain on the parade. I don’t see it - at all - but I don’t see any reason to argue over optimism.

From your keyboard to God’s monitor, sir.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

22. Likes:

Bob Sheed (05-30-2021),REDREAD (05-31-2021)

Redsfan9988, you may very well be right. Reds have been treading water the first 2 months trying to find which pieces are working on the staff. It's starting to come together. Staff has 3.14 ERA over last week. (that includes Mahle's performance so far today).

It's all about finding some guys that can hit.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I'm not the biggest Bell fan, but a tough dig when your options are Naquin, Schrock, Payton, Heineman, Blandino, and Farmer. It really makes very little difference what the order looks like.
    There is another option that Bell has a overt dislike of.

Turn Off Ads?