Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy?

Re: Buy?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Nobody would disagree that replacing Cast's offense is highly desirable. But, as usual, the difficulty is all in the details. Who are some targets?
    Ketel Marte from the D-backs for Naquin and Senzel + ?

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-14-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by wally post View Post
    Like the target. Think the D backs will want more than that.

Again, Reds have scored the second most runs in the NL. They have the highest OPS in the NL. Their primary focus should not be dropping a wad of cash or trading important players to replace Castellanos’ bat.

The team has the third worst ERA and has allowed the third most runs in the NL. Run prevention needs to be the main area of emphasis for next season.

Targeting a decent hitting, good defensive center fielder would make sense. But I wouldn’t be out there spending or trading important capital for a major hitter if Nick leaves.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-14-2021 at 08:48 AM.

6. Likes:

757690 (06-14-2021),HammerTime (06-14-2021),Revering4Blue (06-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Again, Reds have scored the second most runs in the NL. They have the highest OPS in the NL. Their primary focus should not be dropping a wad of cash or trading important players to replace Castellanos’ bat.

The team has the third worst ERA and has allowed the third most runs in the NL. Run prevention needs to be the main area of emphasis for next season.

Targeting a decent hitting, good defensive center fielder would make sense. But I wouldn’t be out there spending or trading important capital for a major hitter if Nick leaves.
    In that case we may already have that player in Shogo.

8. Likes:

HammerTime (06-14-2021)

This past off-season everyone said we needed to improve the offense. So far this season the offense looks pretty good with almost all of the same players and with Moose, Votto ,and Geno all underperforming.

I think all we need a couple of good bullpen arms but fixing this stuff is ain't easy and above my pay grade.
    I just hope the right moves are made to get us deep into the playoffs then go from there.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 06-14-2021 at 09:23 AM.

Unless things go terribly awry Reds will stand pat "with the group that they have". They're playing well and will be fortified with Moustakas, Lorenzen and Senzel. Hopefully Gray and Antone return healthy within the next few weeks. If they're in the hunt I think we'll may see them trade for a single bullpen piece, maybe a bench bat, just like last season. I think this is what Kc predicted recently. The biggest boosts may come from the farm - Barrero, Greene, Lodolo, O'Brien. There's a lot of talent in AAA/AA and the IL ready to contribute.

They'll let Cast make his decision and take the comp pick and payroll space if he leaves. I think they'll also look to trade one of Gray/Castillo, and possibly even one of Moose/Suarez, this winter.

11. Likes:

HokieRed (06-14-2021),JCM11 (06-14-2021),Revering4Blue (06-14-2021)

In that case we may already have that player in Shogo.
    Shogo formerly was a regular CFer in Japan but he’s now best suited to LF. This was made clear when Reds acquired him.

Using Shogo as starting CFer would be the kind of defensive compromise that Reds are repeatedly making these days.

Senzel can play CF, he has the speed and athleticism, but he’s always getting hurt.

Like I said in an earlier post, either the Reds are committed to defense and run prevention or they aren’t. As they fill holes, we’ll find out.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-14-2021 at 09:54 AM.

That's one year of Marte for 1 of Naquin and 4 of Senzel. (Sorry: missed the two years of team options on Marte, given those I don't see why the D'Backs would make this deal, especially with Senzel's injury history)
    Last edited by HokieRed; 06-14-2021 at 01:34 PM.

Shogo formerly was a regular CFer in Japan but he’s now best suited to LF. This was made clear when Reds acquired him.

Using Shogo as starting CFer would be the kind of defensive compromise that Reds are repeatedly making these days.

Senzel can play CF, he has the speed and athleticism, but he’s always getting hurt.

Like I said in an earlier post, either the Reds are committed to defense and run prevention or they aren’t. As they fill holes, we’ll find out.
    How was this made clear? Has Shogo played in LF at all this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

15. Likes:

DocRed (06-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    This past off-season everyone said we needed to improve the offense. So far this season the offense looks pretty good with almost all of the same players and with Moose, Votto ,and Geno all underperforming.

I think all we need a couple of good bullpen arms but fixing this stuff is ain't easy and above my pay grade.
    I just hope the right moves are made to get us deep into the playoffs then go from there.
    It’s being carried by two players. If either of them weren’t performing we’d be talking about it as well.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (06-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Puig Your Red View Post
    How was this made clear? Has Shogo played in LF at all this year?
    It was made clear in all the commentary at the time of Shogo’s acquisition. You’ll recall Shogo was a Gold Glove finalist in the LF category last season.

This year, with no DH, the Reds have Winker/Cast in the corners - no availability for Shogo. And with Senzel out, there is more availability in CF. So that’s where he’s played.

If you want “passable” then go for it. He doesn’t have the arm or the top speed at this point. My goal is an above average team defense.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-14-2021 at 10:20 AM.

It was made clear in all the commentary at the time of Shogo’s acquisition. You’ll recall Shogo was a Gold Glove finalist in the LF category last season.

This year, with no DH, the Reds have Winker/Cast in the corners - no availability for Shogo. And with Senzel out, there is more availability in CF. So that’s where he’s played.

If you want “passable” then go for it. He doesn’t have the arm or the top speed at this point. My goal is an above average team defense.
    He has played one year in the majors and was a gold glove finalist lol. I understand it was at LF and not CF but jumping to a conclusion because they played Senzel in CF over Shogo instead of having him learn ANOTHER position seems silly to me.

I have my doubts whether Shogo can hit enough to play consistently, but I’m not sure your comments on his defense are based in any kind of fact. He came over with a reputation of being a really good defender and all he’s done so far is show the hype was warranted.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

20. Likes:

757690 (06-14-2021)

Also the entire conversation about defense in general seems silly to me when the Reds have been playing and will continue to play what amounts to a softball infield. With the lack of balls put in play combined with shifts I just don’t think defense matters as much as it used to. You’re also going to see Aquino be the CFer against lefties now and there’s no way you’ll convince me he can play CF better than Shogo can. Probably true of Naquin for that matter.

22. Likes:

HammerTime (06-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Puig Your Red View Post
    He has played one year in the majors and was a gold glove finalist lol. I understand it was at LF and not CF but jumping to a conclusion because they played Senzel in CF over Shogo instead of having him learn ANOTHER position seems silly to me.

I have my doubts whether Shogo can hit enough to play consistently, but I’m not sure your comments on his defense are based in any kind of fact. He came over with a reputation of being a really good defender and all he’s done so far is show the hype was warranted.
    From the limited time we’ve seen Shogo, it seems he can play a decent enough CF. I get Kc61’s point that the Reds might want to get a premium defender in CF, but nothing in the Reds moves over the last few years suggest that that is they way they are thinking. I think they would be fine with Shogo as an everyday CF.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Getting another OFer is the absolute last thing that should be on their wish list. If the list was 10 spots long, 9 should be pitching and one should be SS.

Turn Off Ads?