Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy?

Re: Buy?

If the Reds decide to add it will be through more-aggressive promotions of guys like Santillan, Lodolo, Greene and Barrero. Maybe an outside relief arm.

2. Likes:

mth123 (06-01-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Like the idea but I think Story will cost you talent. More likely course, should this possibility arise (i.e. of our being buyers), is to buy the last part of Simmons' contract from the Twins. Shouldn't cost any more than the cash.
    I agree. I don't think adding should even be on the table. Look at the Louisville and Chattanooga rosters. Jose Barrero is the only position prospect on either roster and he's no sure thing. India has been disappointing (though I like his defense OK) and Senzel even more so. Stephenson has looked good, but his OPS is below .700. This team needs young controllable talent. Dealing Winker should not be a consideration, but dealing other shorter term guys to add young controllable position players (and pitchers) should be. They need a MI (an option to add to India/Barreroand an OF who can play CF or RF who are controllable, relatively cheap and ready to play (in addition to more pitching).

Castellanos, Miley, Garrett, Lorenzen, Barnhart, Naquin and Aquino should all benames they are willing to move to get what they need. Suarez and Castillo are at low points, unless there is an offer based on their 2019 or 2020 values, keep them. Votto and Moose probably are not tradeable.

This team needs longer term fixes and isn't good enough to use resources on short term band aids.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

dfs (06-05-2021),Mitri (06-01-2021),REDREAD (06-06-2021),Sea Ray (06-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    So if the Reds turn it on over the next month or two, who should they target in trade to help them? My choice is Max Scherzer.
    If they aren't going to sell, then they should definitely go after a splash like Scherzer who could help them make a deep playoff run.

I'd add some offense too. But maybe with a healthy moose/votto the offense isn't as big of an issue.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If Castillo is not reliable from here on, the Reds won’t be in contention. So if the Reds are in contention by the trade deadline, it’s unlikely they will need a starting pitcher.
    Not much of a plan to wait until July 31 and let the team’s fortunes rise or fall on Castillo. That’s not a gamble I’d be willing to make, assuming I’m serious about a playoff run.

No, if Reds are serious about a playoff run, the time to act is soon, and the first position to pin down is SP.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (06-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Not much of a plan to wait until July 31 and let the team’s fortunes rise or fall on Castillo. That’s not a gamble I’d be willing to make, assuming I’m serious about a playoff run.

No, if Reds are serious about a playoff run, the time to act is soon, and the first position to pin down is SP.
    The first position is SS. The second is closer. The third is middle relief. SP is pretty far down the list, imo, because if you don’t have those first ones, it doesn’t matter much who the starting pitcher is. Besides, three good starting pitchers is enough to compete.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I'm fine with them buying by adding payroll. No way I sell any of Greene, Lodolo, Barrero or Hendricks though.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The first position is SS. The second is closer. The third is middle relief. SP is pretty far down the list, imo, because if you don’t have those first ones, it doesn’t matter much who the starting pitcher is. Besides, three good starting pitchers is enough to compete.
    Nah, the SP is the most important player in the game. He comes first, not shortstop, not closer.

Three reliable SPs today cover 18 of 45 innings in a five-game cycle. That’s too many bullpen and BOR innings to sustain winning.

First, improve Reds’ shot at a well pitched start in 4 of 5 games. Then the rest can come.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-01-2021 at 03:42 PM.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (06-06-2021)

Nah, the SP is the most important player in the game. He comes first, not shortstop, not closer.

Three reliable SPs today cover 18 of 45 innings in a five-game cycle. That’s too many bullpen and BOR innings to sustain winning.

First order of business is to give Reds a good chance of a well pitched start in 4 of 5 games. Then the rest can come.
    This normally is true. Normally a team that starts a good starting pitcher has good chance of winning that game. The starting pitcher can feel confident that if they do their job, the team likely will win.

But not with this current team. A starting pitcher numerous times has pitched a solid game only to see the team lose because of poor defense behind him, and/or a pen that implodes.

The Reds will never contend with this defense and this pen, no matter who is in the starting rotation.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Sell, sell, sell

15. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (06-01-2021),mth123 (06-01-2021),REDREAD (06-06-2021),Sea Ray (06-01-2021)

Selling is logical and it saves money short-term.

But Bob C may not want another “rebuild.” He resisted it the first time. He’ll take a beating in the media. He won’t want the 90-loss seasons.

My guess is we’ll get a middle ground. Sell off some now, add some in the off-season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-01-2021 at 05:54 PM.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

But Bob C may not want another “rebuild.” He resisted it the first time. He’ll take a beating in the media. He won’t want the 90-loss seasons.

My guess is we’ll get a middle ground. Sell off some now, add some in the off-season.
    I’m entirely opposed to this team ever doing a “rebuild”/5 year cycle ever again, but I also think they should trade some established players to turn the team over when the moments right. I don’t think they’re doing much in 2022 or 23 while they wait for Greene and Lodolo to take their lumps (and work up their innings limits too, especially Greene coming off TJ followed by the covid year) so Winker is a great candidate to either extend now or trade now while he still has trade value. Castellanos is another obvious example. I think Gray could also be another great candidate for help the team reload for a better window. But they can sell some guys off without going into a full blown firesale rebuild. That’s just how you keep the pipeline stocked.

18. Likes:

Crumbley (06-02-2021),REDREAD (06-06-2021)

It's worth nothing that Story is having the worst year of his career and his OPS is just .670 away this year. Also are there really any contenders that are looking for a SS rental this year? I keep hearing the Yankees but ppl keep forgetting that the Yankees are just $2M under the luxury cap and would be a 3x offender this year with massive tax penalties. No way will they take his $18.5M contract prorated or not this year unless they can offload an equal amount of salary.

That being said his salary is also likely a strong no-go with this front office.
    Last edited by DocRed; 06-01-2021 at 06:05 PM.

The media...in Cincinnati - lol.

They might get to 90 losses even without selling. (to finish 73-89 they have to go 49-61 from here on out which is pretty much the same W% as they've had through their first 52 games)

21. Likes:

DocRed (06-01-2021),REDREAD (06-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Schrok for Scherzer.

Schtraight up.
    Can we get Mark Schramek involved? Perhaps as the PTBNL
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    The media...in Cincinnati - lol.

They might get to 90 losses even without selling. (to finish 73-89 they have to go 49-61 from here on out which is pretty much the same W% as they've had through their first 52 games)
    I said he won’t want the 90 loss seasons. Plural.

Turn Off Ads?