Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy?

Re: Buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Selling is logical and it saves money short-term.

But Bob C may not want another “rebuild.” He resisted it the first time. He’ll take a beating in the media. He won’t want the 90-loss seasons.

My guess is we’ll get a middle ground. Sell off some now, add some in the off-season.
    And that's the problem. The Reds have refused to either go all-in or fold for the past 20+ years.

They've never even done a real rebuild because they wait until their player value craters before trading it away.

After all these years, the Chapman trade continues to aggravate me more than any of them because he was such a premium talent. They should have kept him, allowed the situation to play out and landed a premium prospect at the deadline. The problem is when you force your GM to trade a guy when he's essentially untradeable, you're going to get garbage in return.

I don't care what Bob wants. I want him to sell the team to somebody that is committed to winning and isn't going to interfere in baseball-related activities. I don't care if it's a guy that's going to come in and throw big money around or a guy that wants to model the Reds after the Indians, Rays, etc. Just have and commit to an organizational strategy.

2. Likes:

Billy_Bearcat (06-01-2021),dreghorntwo (06-02-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Selling guys who are going to leave anyway or don't fit isn't what leads to a bunch of 90 loss seasons Getting something in return is the best way to avoid them. Casteallanos, Miley, Barnhart. Should get at least 1 premium prospect, 1 good prospect and 3 decent prospects for those guys along with a bunch of money to fill holes. They Have Antone or Lodolo to take Miley's spot and need guys for the bullpen, a middle infielder and a CF/RF type outfielder.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

757690 (06-01-2021),DocRed (06-01-2021),REDREAD (06-06-2021),Revering4Blue (06-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Selling guys who are going to leave anyway or don't fit isn't what leads to a bunch of 90 loss seasons Getting something in return is the best way to avoid them. Casteallanos, Miley, Barnhart. Should get at least 1 premium prospect, 1 good prospect and 3 decent prospects for those guys along with a bunch of money to fill holes. They Have Antone or Lodolo to take Miley's spot and need guys for the bullpen, a middle infielder and a CF/RF type outfielder.
    I’m almost rooting for the Reds to fall out of contention soon, so they can start a plan to re-tool for next season and beyond. They are close to contending this year, but have the chips to get some solid building blocks for the future.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

7. Likes:

DocRed (06-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I’m almost rooting for the Reds to fall out of contention soon, so they can start a plan to re-tool for next season and beyond. They are close to contending this year, but have the chips to get some solid building blocks for the future.
    They are already out of contention IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

Billy_Bearcat (06-01-2021),HokieRed (06-02-2021),Kinsm (06-02-2021),REDREAD (06-06-2021),wally post (06-01-2021)

They are already out of contention IMO.
    In any other division, probably. But the NL Central is wide open right now to anyone who is willing to commit to this season.

In any other division, probably. But the NL Central is wide open right now to anyone who is willing to commit to this season.
    The Reds need 4 or 5 new players from outside the organization to play .500 the rest of the way. It's not happening. The talent here just isn't good enough.

12. Likes:

HokieRed (06-02-2021),REDREAD (06-06-2021)

They are a shell of a team. Sorry to be perceived as dark but it is what it is.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (06-06-2021)

The Reds need 4 or 5 new players from outside the organization to play .500 the rest of the way. It's not happening. The talent here just isn't good enough.
    Moose and Votto are coming back soon. That will make 2 big improvements immediately.

Add a real SS and a true closer, and they should be in good shape, imo.

Moose and Votto are coming back soon. That will make 2 big improvements immediately.

Too much bad pitching.

17. Likes:

Billy_Bearcat (06-01-2021),Boss-Hog (06-02-2021),Coopdaddy67 (06-02-2021),HokieRed (06-02-2021),Kinsm (06-02-2021),Mitri (06-01-2021),REDREAD (06-06-2021)

Moose and Votto weren't exactly tearing the ball off the cover before they went on the DL, and there really isn't any reason to believe they will either once they are back.

37 year old firstbaseman and career .311 OBP secondbaseman aren't going to make this team winners.

The entire bullpen needs to be replaced.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

If there is to be any "buying" then the team ERA needs to be addressed.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (06-06-2021)

We're at the inflection point. Everything done from here on out needs to be pointed at 2022. Just too many weaknesses on this team. Unfortunately it is hard to have any confidence that the people in charge can make any of the moves required. IMHO we need a complete turnover in the important management positions.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (06-06-2021),Revering4Blue (06-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    We're at the inflection point. Everything done from here on out needs to be pointed at 2022. Just too many weaknesses on this team. Unfortunately it is hard to have any confidence that the people in charge can make any of the moves required. IMHO we need a complete turnover in the important management positions.
    None of it matters because Cast thinks he's the President of Baseball Operations and not just the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Herd View Post
    None of it matters because Cast thinks he's the President of Baseball Operations and not just the owner.
    This is such a copout. The GMs of the Rays and A’s are told every single season payroll is either not increasing or actually decreasing and they somehow figure out a way to consistently put winning teams on the field. Krall was told his payroll had to be middle of the road and he didn’t even try.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

25. Likes:

Mitri (06-02-2021),REDREAD (06-06-2021),Revering4Blue (06-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This is such a copout. The GMs of the Rays and A’s are told every single season payroll is either not increasing or actually decreasing and they somehow figure out a way to consistently put winning teams on the field. Krall was told his payroll had to be middle of the road and he didn’t even try.
    I have no problem getting rid of Krall, but Cast isn't just setting the payroll, there are multiple stories that Cast is the one making the baseball decisions. He's the one that approves every single deal. In other words, he's acting as the President of Baseball Operations. He thinks he's Billy Beane in your A's comp. He's Steinbrenner before he hired Bob Watson.

Bob Quote from an interview with P-Doc

I will come in and say, this is what I think we ought to do. If I don’t get a lot of opposition, we make the decision based on what I say.

A bunch of quotes from an article in Cincinnati Mag

https://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/a...e-of-meddling/
    Last edited by Moose Herd; 06-02-2021 at 08:36 AM.

Turn Off Ads?