Turn Off Ads?
Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Buy?

Re: Buy?

They should still be looking to add for next season. Obviously, everything hinges on Castellanos, and if he’s not coming back, they need to look for pitching and offense. Be smart, lay the groundwork now.

2. Likes:

Gary Redus (07-21-2021),HokieRed (07-20-2021),Mitri (07-20-2021),REDREAD (07-22-2021),RedTeamGo! (07-20-2021),Revering4Blue (07-20-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I guess the Reds could still buy even though they’ve fallen back some

But I doubt they will take on enough salary to make a difference. They need quality adds at this point, potential difference makers.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-20-2021 at 10:53 AM.

5. Likes:

Falls City Beer (07-20-2021),Mitri (07-20-2021),REDREAD (07-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    They should still be looking to add for next season. Obviously, everything hinges on Castellanos, and if he’s not coming back, they need to look for pitching and offense. Be smart, lay the groundwork now.
    Yeah, I wouldn't waste assets on rentals at this point. I do think a guy like Senzel could be traded for the pitching equivalent of him, a guy with 2-4 years of control who can help now and in the next couple of years. I would see what Barnhart could get in a trade, we might be surprised. A legit contending team like SD would probably overpay to bring in a veteran catcher like Tucker.

They'll probably hang onto Cast, let him make his decision (in part because these optics look better than trading him) and take the comp pick if he bounces.

They can trade one of Gray/Castillo in the offseason, if they so choose.

7. Likes:

757690 (07-20-2021),Falls City Beer (07-20-2021)

Dream scenario:

1 - Trade Senzel, Siani, and Santillan to Washington for Scherzer, Turner, and Hudson.
    2 - Trade Friedl and Richardson to Minnesota for Rogers
    3 - Trade Bonnin to Seattle for Graveman

Roll out a lineup of Turner, India, Winker, Castellanos, Votto, Stephenson, Naquin, and Suarez , a starting 5 of Scherzer, Castillo, Gray, Mahle, and Miley, and an eventual pen of Antone, Sims, Rogers, Hudson, Graveman, Garrett and Brach.

Both Turner and Rogers are controlled through 2022.

*Obviously a pipe dream. Not only do the Reds not typically make go all in type moves for one or two seasons but I can't see Washington parting ways with Turner or Scherzer (even though he's a pending FA - they'll likely get a comp A for him).

Even though the team is stumbling I hope management still realizes that Milwaukee should not be expected to run away with the division and it is still very much within the grasp of this club. The wild card may slip away fairly soon as i'd expect the NL West to get one and likely both of those spots.

10. Likes:

M2 (07-20-2021),REDREAD (07-22-2021)

A realistic trade for Turner and Scherzer would have to include at least one of Greene, Lodolo, or Barrero.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    A realistic trade for Turner and Scherzer would have to include at least one of Greene, Lodolo, or Barrero.
    Probably at least two.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

The Reds could have won 3 of these last 4 games if they had a functional bullpen. Fix that and the wins will pile up. So get after some arms. Buy, baby, buy.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

Powder River (07-20-2021),REDREAD (07-22-2021),Ron Madden (07-20-2021),UPRedsFan (07-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Reds could have won 3 of these last 4 games if they had a functional bullpen. Fix that and the wins will pile up. So get after some arms. Buy, baby, buy.
    Yes to this! It’s so easy to see what “could be”….. I’m having a hard time believing that there aren’t decent solutions out there either - I.e., a swap with another team that’s a benefit to both parties.

I’m usually much more of a lurker here and don’t post much. Right now my frustration with the way this team is run (now and historically speaking) is starting to really burn me. Im trying not to be a negative screamer behind the keyboard but my gosh.
    Nothing but gas

16. Likes:

REDREAD (07-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Powder River View Post
    Yes to this! It’s so easy to see what “could be”….. I’m having a hard time believing that there aren’t decent solutions out there either - I.e., a swap with another team that’s a benefit to both parties.

I’m usually much more of a lurker here and don’t post much. Right now my frustration with the way this team is run (now and historically speaking) is starting to really burn me. Im trying not to be a negative screamer behind the keyboard but my gosh.
    This edition specializes in thrilling wins and heartbreaking losses. The fix to the latter could not be more obvious. Though we're a week away from when the trade activity gets hot and the wait is going to be agonizing.

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's fine, but I think we are too late now. They've waited too long. Wild Card out of reach this year, and 7.5 games in time left to make up against a team with the pitching Milwaukee does. The front office screwed this up.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

20. Likes:

REDREAD (07-22-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    That's fine, but I think we are too late now. They've waited too long. Wild Card out of reach this year, and 7.5 games in time left to make up against a team with the pitching Milwaukee does. The front office screwed this up.
    Only 3 more games against them too. That’s a tall hill to climb.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (07-22-2021)

Also have to consider that Mets, Giants, Dodgers, Padres will be looking for substantial “buys” this deadline. Brewers, hard to tell, they’re low budget, but also in excellent position for a playoff run, especially with “adds.”

I’d like to see Reds go for it, they have a favorable schedule in the second half, but only if they are committed to seriously gearing up for a stretch drive. Token or half-hearted buying, I can live without, I’d rather focus on 2022.

24. Likes:

mbgrayson (07-20-2021),REDREAD (07-22-2021),Revering4Blue (07-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I guess the Reds could still buy even though they’ve fallen back some

But I doubt they will take on enough salary to make a difference. They need quality adds at this point, potential difference makers.
    Yeah they’re certainly at a cusp now where the amount of luck they’d need is going to outpace their pocketbook. 7.5 is not insurmountable on July 20th, but it’s getting there.

26. Likes:

REDREAD (07-22-2021),Revering4Blue (07-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I do not think it's too late.

28. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-20-2021)

Turn Off Ads?