Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy?

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: Buy?

Buy!...on the cheap.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    wonder if the angels will trade us iglesias back for a gas station hot dog?

raisel has 10 saves and a WHIP of 1.00. does have an ERA of 3.92, but he would look really good in our pen right now. 23 IP, 34 Ks.

still salty that we gave him away for nothing. meanwhile, the cardinals do things like get nolan arenado for free. i know we're beating the cardinals in this series, but overall, it illustrates why they are a much better organization.

having antone, sims AND iglesias would be a nice 1-2-3 combo in the pen. but our front office is horrible, so.
    Issue for Reds would be $$$. Still an expensive pitcher, even pro rated.

4. Likes:

DocRed (06-06-2021)

Castellini has said that the Reds have earmarked the money they saved this offseason for upgrades during this season. If true, the Reds would be able to add some payroll if they are buyers. It will be interesting to see if this is true.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Castellini has said that the Reds have earmarked the money they saved this offseason for upgrades during this season. If true, the Reds would be able to add some payroll if they are buyers. It will be interesting to see if this is true.
    i think his nose grew 2 inches when he said that.

7. Likes:

Falls City Beer (06-06-2021),REDREAD (06-06-2021)

The Reds are not, nor will they ever be the Dodgers or Yankees.

Our front office has not proven to be skilled enough to be Tampa Bay or Oakland.

So, which of the following three would you rather be
    - Cleveland. Always in the hunt, but never quite able to win it all
    - Miami. Good for a magical run every 10-15 years, but a total non-factor every other season.
    - Baltimore. Taking ineptitude to new heights every single year.

I'll take Cleveland. The Reds don't have to be World Series contenders every year from me to enjoy them. Just play good baseball over the course of 162. This year's Reds team is not that far off. get our injured position players back and straighten out some thing in the bullpen and we can be there in September.

The Miami model is fun.......once a decade. I'll trade that fluke championship for a team that plays good, consistent playoff contending baseball over the course of a decade every time.

Baltimore? That's us if we shed Castellanos for unproven prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by 0-2 Count View Post

Our front office has not proven to be skilled enough to be Tampa Bay or Oakland.

- Miami. Good for a magical run every 10-15 years, but a total non-factor every other season.

I'll take Cleveland. The Reds don't have to be World Series contenders every year from me to enjoy them. Just play good baseball over the course of 162. This year's Reds team is not that far off. get our injured position players back and straighten out some thing in the bullpen and we can be there in September.

The Miami model is fun.......once a decade. I'll trade that fluke championship for a team that plays good, consistent playoff contending baseball over the course of a decade every time.

The Indians would absolutely unload Castellanos
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (06-06-2021),REDREAD (06-06-2021),Revering4Blue (06-06-2021),Tom Servo (06-06-2021),Wonderful Monds (06-06-2021)

cleveland for sure (and i hate to say that because i do not like the indians at all just because of the bandwagon fans here in columbus, which used to be a reds town during the BRM days). they haven't broke through yet, but they probably will. they are the type of organization i would LOVE to see the reds model themselves after. they are not perfect, but man, they make a hell of a lot of smart moves.

how is lindor doing with the mets? exactly. and some blasted the indians that they didn't give lindor a "votto-like" contract that would have crippled them for a decade.

they always do things like that. you'll never see them signing a 31-year-old mike moustakas who struggles to get on base to a $64M contract. they don't do stupid stuff like that.

12. Likes:

0-2 Count (06-06-2021),REDREAD (06-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Have they unloaded Jose Ramirez? No, because they would never get equal value back. Same thing would happen if the Reds unloaded Castellanos. Cast is having a season for the record books. if the Reds can hang in contention AND get an MVP caliber year out of Castellanos, people will come out to the park and watch.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Have they unloaded Jose Ramirez? No, because they would never get equal value back. Same thing would happen if the Reds unloaded Castellanos. Cast is having a season for the record books. if the Reds can hang in contention AND get an MVP caliber year out of Castellanos, people will come out to the park and watch.
    And then he’ll be gone after the season and the team will be in much worse position for no reason.

Plus the Indians have Ramirez until 2023, he’s not in Castellanos situation.

(btw found Bob Castellini’s account)
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 06-06-2021 at 02:10 PM.

15. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (06-06-2021),REDREAD (06-06-2021),RedTeamGo! (06-06-2021),Revering4Blue (06-06-2021)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Miami - Flags fly forever and nobody can remove the so-called ‘fluke’ seasons, which resulted in championships. That’s what you play for.

Specifically, their ‘03 championship demonstrates a key point: Oftentimes, the year picks you, not the other way around.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (06-06-2021),Wonderful Monds (06-06-2021)

cleveland for sure (and i hate to say that because i do not like the indians at all just because of the bandwagon fans here in columbus, which used to be a reds town during the BRM days). they haven't broke through yet, but they probably will. they are the type of organization i would LOVE to see the reds model themselves after. they are not perfect, but man, they make a hell of a lot of smart moves.

how is lindor doing with the mets? exactly. and some blasted the indians that they didn't give lindor a "votto-like" contract that would have crippled them for a decade.

they always do things like that. you'll never see them signing a 31-year-old mike moustakas who struggles to get on base to a $64M contract. they don't do stupid stuff like that.
    You’re right, they don’t ever sign guys like Moose, which is probably why they never get past the first round of the postseason and actually win anything people actually care about. I could say their 2016 World Series appearance is as much a fluke as the Marlins 2 actual wins. Cleveland is definitely just as big of cheapskates, so it’s not a bad comparison actually.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    They wouldn’t unload him if they were only 5 games out of first. They might trade him, but only for MLB players that would improve the current team as they make a run for the playoffs.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    They wouldn’t unload him if they were only 5 games out of first. They might trade him, but only for MLB players that would improve the current team as they make a run for the playoffs.
    Saying the Reds are only 5 out of first is a big statement without context though. They’re still a bottom 10 team in the league in run differential and have a losing record, and looking at the roster it’s full of obvious massive holes. They aren’t winning the World Series this year, and they shouldn’t handicap the future teams in the next few years that might actually have a chance.

21. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (06-06-2021),REDREAD (06-06-2021)

No, but they unloaded Lindor and Sabathia and Clevinger and Bauer and Diaz and Kluber and….

They will unload Ramirez, they just haven’t done it yet.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (06-06-2021)

It has nothing to do with IQ, they are owned by the Dolans. They make reds ownership look like George Steinbrenner.

Yeah, they don’t sign free agents, but they also played something called Jake Bauers at first for a significant amount of time the first two months of the season. Oh and by the way, the big time SS prospect, Gimenez, they got for Lindor has a .534 OPS so far this season. They haven’t figured out what to do with Amed Rosario and has a sub .700 OPS. Yeah, they unloaded Lindor, probably for the best, but they got a garbage return for him.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 06-06-2021 at 02:26 PM.

Turn Off Ads?