Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2021 Part IV: Does anyone want this title?

Re: NBA 2021 Part IV: Does anyone want this title?

Chris Paul is good at the basketball. It's incredible how he asserts himself in the fourth quarter of games. For a guy given the nickname "Point God," sometimes I wonder if we're giving him his full due.

Ayton was incredible. The matchup with the MVP was essentially a wash. Not sure you'll ever get enough offense out of him to make him worth the No. 1 overall pick, but I think he's going to carve out a Tyson Chandler-type career, with a little more upside or ceiling at his peak.

I didn't watch a ton of Suns during the regular season but color me convinced. Plus starting lineup, plus bench unit, plus coach. The pieces fit. I know i caught them on a good night and against a wounded Nuggets team, but I was impressed. Need CP3 to stay healthy, but i wouldn't be surprised with a Nets-Suns final.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I didn't even think it would be close. Williams seemed like the obvious pick.
    I am not sure about Thibideau, but I personally am not convinced that Williams is a great coach. The Suns have a lot of high level young talent that was on the cusp of being competitive, and in my opinion one man is the difference maker in Phoenix....and his name is Chris Paul. I get that the coach usually gets the credit in similar situations and maybe Williams deserved it also; I am only saying that I do not credit him as a difference maker with this Phoenix team. The same team with the exception of Paul was 26-39 before the bubble last season.

If I am not mistaken, Williams has never coached a team with a winning record without Chris Paul.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I am not sure about Thibideau, but I personally am not convinced that Williams is a great coach. The Suns have a lot of high level young talent that was on the cusp of being competitive, and in my opinion one man is the difference maker in Phoenix....and his name is Chris Paul. I get that the coach usually gets the credit in similar situations and maybe Williams deserved it also; I am only saying that I do not credit him as a difference maker with this Phoenix team. The same team with the exception of Paul was 26-39 before the bubble last season.

If I am not mistaken, Williams has never coached a team with a winning record without Chris Paul.
    Not true on the last point. Williams went 45-37 without Paul in his final season in NO.

Hard to deduct points for having Paul on the team, because Paul doesn't come to Phoenix if Monty Williams isn't the coach.

For my money, Williams was far and away COY.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 06-08-2021 at 12:06 PM.

5. Likes:

M2 (06-08-2021)

I'm not really sure why Quinn Snyder isn't at the top of the list. Who in the preseason had Utah as the best regular season team in the NBA?

NM

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm not really sure why Quinn Snyder isn't at the top of the list. Who in the preseason had Utah as the best regular season team in the NBA?
    To be fair I don’t think anyone had the Knicks as a playoff team, let alone a 4 seed.

Does seem to be a bit of big market, NYC bias there though. Snyder navigated what could have been a disaster between Gobert and Mitchell, figured out how to get Conley going so well that he made his first all star team, had the best record in the league, best point differential and the only team top 5 in offense and defense, without a bonafide “star”.

Conley is out for Game 1 tonight.

What Joel Embiid is doing to Clint Capela tonight feels like watching a murder in progress. Though big credit to the Hawks' bench, currently outscoring Philly's 37-0, for keeping them in this game.
    Last edited by M2; 06-08-2021 at 09:30 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Holy Shake Milton!
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

goreds2 (06-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Holy Shake Milton!
    That was one of the most gratifying five minutes of basketball I've ever seen. Milton had really been struggling to the point where I was anticipating a DNP-CD for him tonight.

The only thing that would have made it better is if Dwight Howard fouled Danilo Gallinari so hard that Gallinari's teeth arrived in Atlanta before he did. Being an agitator is one thing. Teams need those. But this is the second time in two series that Gallinari cowardly elbowed or shoved someone in the back. Then the shoulder? C'mon. That guy is straight punk right down to every last hair idiotic mohawked hair on his head.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

The Jazz missed 21 straight shots. Mercy.

Are we at the point where we should just accept that Ben Simmons is a very good basketball player, but will likely never develop into what we thought was his possible ceiling when drafted? This is his 5th year in the NBA, 4th year of actually playing and his 3rd playoffs....and dude is shooting 34% from the free throw line! I am guessing the majority of us could shoot a higher free throw % than Ben Simmons is shooting in the 2021 playoffs....and the fact that he still can't shoot just seems unfixable.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

16. Likes:

texasdave (06-09-2021)

Watching basketball played in packed arenas is so much fun. I've sure missed it.

18. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (06-09-2021),goreds2 (06-09-2021),ScotlandRed (06-09-2021)

Cousins scored 6 points, grabbed 3 boards, and blocked a shot....and played a whopping 3 total minutes. I mean, he also managed to get 3 fouls but to not see the floor again all game? Cousins +6 tied for the team lead with Pat B.

Solid job Lue...

Ultimately if they let Spida keep acting like that its going to be a quick series. That guy is just wired for postseason greatness.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 06-09-2021 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The Jazz missed 21 straight shots. Mercy.
    That was an unbelievable stretch. I can’t recall seeing anything like it, while still only being down around 10 or so.

Loved watching Mitchell flip that switch. Kawhi tried to keep pace with him and did in the third, but couldn’t keep up in the 4th. Jazz had absolutely no business winning that game with the way they played in the first half, and yet.

Also I don’t know why a blocked shot at the buzzer is as exciting as it is, but it has to be one of the better plays in sports.

Turn Off Ads?