Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast

Thread: NBA 2021 Part IV: Does anyone want this title?

Re: NBA 2021 Part IV: Does anyone want this title?

The Dame presser comments were interesting. Not sure he has the stomach to force his way out. It's not of his character to pull a Harden.

If you've been listening to Chris Haynes, who is the mouthpiece for Dame and his agent, he's been shouting about Dame's unhappiness since the middle of last season. Then early in the offseason it was Haynes who said Dame was uncertain about his future in Portland. Abbott said he wants out, but then Haynes published a story about uncertainty and wanting help. Dame's presser sounded like he just wanted help.

The reality is the Blazers likely don't have the assets to be championship contenders next year.

McCollum likely doesn't have a ton of appeal, largely due to his contract. Nice player, but probably a No. 3 on a good playoff team. Ben Simmons would be the dream trade, but even he wouldn't magically turn the Blazers into contenders.

Nurkic is a top-half of the NBA center. One year left for $12 million. Covington has one year left at $13 million. Nice players both, but can't imagine you're getting much for either on one-year deals.

After that, there's Anfernee Simons and Nassir Little. Moderately promising young guys, but nobody's giving you more than a bench guy for either. Maybe as a sweetner in another deal, but alone those guys aren't returning much. Olshey has already overplayed his hand on Simons (and Zach Collins, who was let go last week).

Derrick Jones Jr. is likely to exercise his $10 million option and contribute little. Norm Powell is off to seek big money.

Zero picks in the upcoming draft. They have all of their future 1sts.

They'd have to mortgage the future to make any kind of splash. I just don't see it and don't really want to see Olshey try it.

2. Likes:

dubc47834 (07-17-2021),Revering4Blue (07-17-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Zach Collins, who was let go last week
    Their botched 2017 draft is really dogging the Blazers. They traded two 1st round picks to move up to take Collins at #10. They could have had Donovan Mitchell or Bam Adebayo with that pick. Had they kept the picks they could have had John Collins and either Jarrett Allen or O.G. Anunoby. Instead they got Zach, who turned out not to be worth a second contract.

Completely agree they shouldn't be allowing Olshey to tear down this group. There is this guy named Danny Ainge who might be up for the job.
    Last edited by M2; 07-17-2021 at 08:39 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Their botched 2017 draft is really dogging the Blazers. They traded two 1st round picks to move up to take Collins at #10. They could have had Donovan Mitchell or Bam Adebayo with that pick. Had they kept the picks they could have had John Collins and either Jarrett Allen or O.G. Anunoby. Instead they got Zach, who turned out not to be worth a second contract.

Completely agree they should be allowing Olshey to tear down this group. There is this guy named Danny Ainge who might be up for the job.
    As we've all previously discussed before - even though it's both fun and agonizing (for fans of certain teams) to do so - considering the talent that slipped in that draft (some well into the second round), several franchises failed miserably that night.

And while it seemed justifiable for Portland to trade up for Collins, who wowed scouts with his 'unicorn-like' skillset, due partially to his injury-propensity (He's missed essentially 2.5 years of playing/developmental time, while recently reportedly re-injuring himself by - no joke - simply walking to his mailbox), it's a results-based business, and it's time to move on.

Nevertheless, the Blazers still had the 26th pick in that stacked draft and proceeded to essentially blow the pick on Caleb Swanigan, who faced long odds for his skillset (effective as it was in college ball) to translate to the NBA, passing on several current rotational contributors in the process: http://www.prosportstransactions.com...Years/2017.htm

And to make matters worse, the Blazers sent an '18 #1 to Cleveland for the rights to that aforementioned '17 pick. And we all know that '18 draft was really stacked. And for the record, Cleveland later sent the pick to the Lakers, who chose Moritz Wagner, one of the few draft missteps for Rob Pelinka and company. http://www.prosportstransactions.com...Years/2018.htm
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Another great game- still a long way too go. Can't imagine how Booker, Jrue or Khris will have anything left for the Olympics.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 07-18-2021 at 03:27 AM.

7. Likes:

BillDoran (07-18-2021)

Can't say enough good things about Jrue Holiday in this series.

9. Likes:

BillDoran (07-18-2021),Revering4Blue (07-18-2021)

Excellent 2 way game last night. He’s frustrating because he doesn’t do that consistently, but he can be special when it shows up.

So Giannis has the block and the ally oop…..can’t wait to see what crazy play he crushes Phoenix with next.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Excellent 2 way game last night. He’s frustrating because he doesn’t do that consistently, but he can be special when it shows up.

So Giannis has the block and the ally oop…..can’t wait to see what crazy play he crushes Phoenix with next.
    Both Middleton and Holiday are elite players that lack consistency, and that's what holds them back. They can't do their Durant and CP3 impressions on a nightly basis, but when they get it going, they all All Pro caliber. Even when his shot's not falling, Holiday is a terror defensively. He's a good athlete, really smart and relentless. He's what Pat Bev pretends to be.

If the Bucks are able to close this out, I think we might see a new gear for them in the future. It's a cerebral team, and we've watched them take a big step during the playoffs. They seemed to figure something. They play more confidently and with more urgency. The core three aren't going anywhere, and I think they could benefit from some Spurs-esque continuity. They'll face lots of teams with more talent, but they'll exceed their collective ability through knowing each other, knowing the system and being confident in their ability to win. I think, save injuries, this team could mature really well (which isn't to say I think they're going to run off a bunch of championships).

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-18-2021)

Both Middleton and Holiday are elite players that lack consistency, and that's what holds them back. They can't do their Durant and CP3 impressions on a nightly basis, but when they get it going, they all All Pro caliber. Even when his shot's not falling, Holiday is a terror defensively. He's a good athlete, really smart and relentless. He's what Pat Bev pretends to be.

If the Bucks are able to close this out, I think we might see a new gear for them in the future. It's a cerebral team, and we've watched them take a big step during the playoffs. They seemed to figure something. They play more confidently and with more urgency. The core three aren't going anywhere, and I think they could benefit from some Spurs-esque continuity. They'll face lots of teams with more talent, but they'll exceed their collective ability through knowing each other, knowing the system and being confident in their ability to win. I think, save injuries, this team could mature really well (which isn't to say I think they're going to run off a bunch of championships).
    Yeah they can certainly build around those 3. I don’t think the team they have now is good enough, but if they can get a little more depth they will consistently be a contender for the next 5 years or so.

Giannis is still gonna get better too. I think part of what you are alluding to is that Giannis changed what he was doing after the first 2 games. He’s been much more aggressive and they started involving him came Middleton in the PNR. He’s crazy talented and is still learning how to play basketball.

It'll help that other veterans will see that Big Three and chase championships with them. Lopez is a fixture at center ($13M per year for three more seasons), but SG is wide open and there's minutes to be found behind the frontcourt starters. Some combination of Alex Burks, JJ Redick, and Lou Williams (at around the MLE) would help a bunch in the backcourt. Kieff Morris and Carmelo might also bolster a bench (and allow Giannis to play point center) on the cheap.

They're set up for a mini-run, for sure.

15. Likes:

dubc47834 (07-19-2021),M2 (07-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    It'll help that other veterans will see that Big Three and chase championships with them. Lopez is a fixture at center ($13M per year for three more seasons), but SG is wide open and there's minutes to be found behind the frontcourt starters. Some combination of Alex Burks, JJ Redick, and Lou Williams (at around the MLE) would help a bunch in the backcourt. Kieff Morris and Carmelo might also bolster a bench (and allow Giannis to play point center) on the cheap.

Some interesting possibilities if guys want to chase a ring with the Bucks. First on the list is DeRo. He can get paid somewhere, but the lure of a cranking the Bucks up a notch has got to be enticing. He's made $150M in his career. Might prioritize a ring over money. Norman Powell can make more than a MLE, but maybe the Bucks can convince him to come be a part of a top team with the promise they'll get his beak wet on the other side of his initial deal. RFAs include Malik Monk, Josh Hart and Bruce Brown. Also, if Otto Porter is looking for a place to redeem himself, Milwaukee would be a great fit.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post

Some interesting possibilities if guys want to chase a ring with the Bucks. First on the list is DeRo. He can get paid somewhere, but the lure of a cranking the Bucks up a notch has got to be enticing. He's made $150M in his career. Might prioritize a ring over money. Norman Powell can make more than a MLE, but maybe the Bucks can convince him to come be a part of a top team with the promise they'll get his beak wet on the other side of his initial deal. RFAs include Malik Monk, Josh Hart and Bruce Brown. Also, if Otto Porter is looking for a place to redeem himself, Milwaukee would be a great fit.
    Agreed.

And, as they say in the South, if that weren't enough, the 'Big Ragu' returns next season. Series after series, it's been noted that the Bucks opponents have been missing players, but Dante's loss has essentially been glossed over time and time again. He's one of, if not the, best rebounders for his size since Fat Lever, and a solid 3-and-D guy. No doubt he'd have been of tremendous help to Holiday with containing Booker and Paul.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 07-18-2021 at 12:44 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

18. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (07-18-2021),dubc47834 (07-19-2021),M2 (07-18-2021),Mutaman (07-18-2021)

Were I Porter, I'd be all over that trade-off. He's already gotten his big contract. Now get that "winner" label, and he could work for a decade as Robert Horry Lite.

20. Likes:

M2 (07-18-2021),Revering4Blue (07-18-2021)

22. Likes:

M2 (07-19-2021),Revering4Blue (07-19-2021)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Agreed.

And, as they say in the South, if that weren't enough, the 'Big Ragu' returns next season. Series after series, it's been noted that the Bucks opponents have been missing players, but Dante's loss has essentially been glossed over time and time again. He's one of, if not the, best rebounders for his size since Fat Lever, and a solid 3-and-D guy. No doubt he'd have been of tremendous help to Holiday with containing Booker and Paul.
    Great point about Dante. He has been a valuable member of this team.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

24. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-19-2021)

Wes Unseld Jr. officially becomes the head coach of the Wizards. Congrats and best of luck to him!

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ch-sources-say
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?