Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435

Thread: NBA 2021 Part IV: Does anyone want this title?

Re: NBA 2021 Part IV: Does anyone want this title?

Who says no to the basic structure of this deal:

• Pelicans get C.J. McCollum and Robert Covington
    • Blazers get Brandon Ingram and sign-and-trade Josh Hart

The Pelicans want to win now. McCollum and Covington are players in their primes (-ish for Covington). McCollum helps further space the floor for Zion. Covington is a guy you can win playoff games with.

The Blazers need to shake things up. Brandon Ingram is really talented. I'm not sure he makes the team better, but the Blazers have very little wiggle room and need to make changes. Hart would be a reasonably good fit next to Lillard and insurance in case Norm Powell bolts.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post

The Pelicans want to win now. McCollum and Covington are players in their primes (-ish for Covington). McCollum helps further space the floor for Zion. Covington is a guy you can win playoff games with.

The Blazers need to shake things up. Brandon Ingram is really talented. I'm not sure he makes the team better, but the Blazers have very little wiggle room and need to make changes. Hart would be a reasonably good fit next to Lillard and insurance in case Norm Powell bolts.
    Were I the Pels, I wouldn't. Ingram offers better defense (and he's not awesome in that regard) and as much scoring. Ultra high upside too.

Were I the Pels, I'd look at the RFA market to snag a starting guard. Trent would look good at that SG spot. So would THT. Kendrick Nunn is likely to be much cheaper-- he'd be a fine target. Hardaway's going to get paid, but an early offer of $20M might make him pause.

In UFA, TJ McConnell or Cam Payne (to play with Kira Lewis, who was sneaky great when he was allowed to play last year) would be a great "get". Reggie Bullock makes a lot of sense there as well. They don't need a ball-dominant PG but instead should have shooters surround Zion.

4. Likes:

BillDoran (07-29-2021),Revering4Blue (07-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post

No way I move Ingram for that package if I am the Pelicans. CJ is about to turn 30 years old and Covington is 30 years old. The Pels are on the Zion/Ingram timeline.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

6. Likes:

BillDoran (07-29-2021),Revering4Blue (07-29-2021)

Rumors:

- Lonzo Ball could sign a deal with Chicago, but NOLA is likely to keep him.
    Comment: Ball's turned himself into a decent PG. He's young and can hit a three-pointer. But he's still underwater in his defensive and offensive game ratings, and his value is decidedly meh. I totally get Chicago's interest-- they don't really have a PG. I also get NOLA's desire for Ball (despite his shortcomings). NOLA's in a tough spot here. You'd think PGs would be all over playing with that team, as it's tailor-made for a smart guy willing to do the dirty work to win. But they're not exactly knocking the free agent door down, are they? Lowry has other, better options. Mike Conley might be a sneaky good sign, but he'll be tough to pry from Utah. (Maybe.) Dinwiddie would be a great sign, IMO, as he's perfect as a secondary ball handler next to Zion (and tertiary scorer behind Williamson and Ingram). Taking on that RFA contract with Ball would seem to be settling a bit. Perhaps they will.

- Lauri Markkanen and the Timberwolves are sniffing around each other.
    Comment: On one hand, this makes total sense. The Wolves desperately need a PF. A five-out offense with Markkanen, KAT, Edwards, DLo, and Malik Beasley is one with no weak links. They might become the first quintet to average 45% from three as a group. But Markkanen is similar to the other Minnesota starters, in that he doesn't play much defense. Perhaps they can play others as backups and figure it out. I like the outside the box thinking, at any rate. I'd guess a sign-and-trade with Juan Hernangomez (who isn't happy with the Wolves) and Josh Okogie or Jarrett Culver makes some sense for both clubs. Other teams who are interested in Markkanen also make sense. The Thunder need shooters badly. So do the Spurs. Like his fit for both.

- Sacramento is among the teams interested in signing Nerlens Noel.
    This would be a phenomenal pairing of team need and player fit. Noel's unique skillset and athleticism combined with the Kings' desire to run and gun would result in nightly highlights. His willingness to defend everyone could mean the rest of the Sacramento team could defend super tight, gamble on steals (a Fox and Haliburton specialty lost a bit in the NBA). More, he doesn't need the ball and is a willing and able passer out of the post. The Knicks also make sense (though they have Mitchell Robinson as a starter). The Raptors (Chris Boucher) are also likely to play Noel as a backup, as are the Pistons. Only the Kings are likely to give Noel all the minutes he wants.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 08-01-2021 at 11:04 AM.

Hearing Miami will make a huge splash on Monday...

sign and trade with Toronto for Lowry...also they are heavy on Demar Derozan

Detroit is in on Tim Haradaway Jr...

Kawhi is opting out

Paul set to sign 3 yr deal in Phx for 90 mil

Should be an interesting first day...
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 08-01-2021 at 08:57 PM.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I keep seeing reports that suggest the Lakers are going real old.....Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Rudy Gay, Trevor Ariza, Wayne Ellington....even a chance that DeMar DeRozan name is being mentioned. I personally hate old teams.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I keep seeing reports that suggest the Lakers are going real old.....Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Rudy Gay, Trevor Ariza, Wayne Ellington....even a chance that DeMar DeRozan name is being mentioned. I personally hate old teams.
    I think it's an interesting outside-the-box plan, actually.

The issues are that players you count on might be washed much more quickly and the GM would have to rebuild the roster year after year. But teams do those things anyway, and you tend to know what you're getting with veterans far more than with young guys.

Not as much upside, but really, what does upside matter when you have LeBron, AD, and Westbrook as your Big Three?

Miami is apparently going to sign-and-trade for PG Kyle Lowry, with Dragic and Previous Achiuwa as the package back to Toronto.

Lowry's an interesting target. I'd like to see the contract. Losing only Dragic in their rotation is a good deal, though. There are whispers that they'll also attempt to add DeMar DeRozan. If that happens, they might become the team to beat in the East. I'm not sure if they'd have enough shooting (as both DeRozan and Butler are horrible from distance, and Bam isn't there yet), but if anyone can figure that out, it's Coach Spo. They would be deadly from the mid-range and tough as nails, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Miami is apparently going to sign-and-trade for PG Kyle Lowry, with Dragic and Previous Achiuwa as the package back to Toronto.

Lowry's an interesting target. I'd like to see the contract. Losing only Dragic in their rotation is a good deal, though. There are whispers that they'll also attempt to add DeMar DeRozan. If that happens, they might become the team to beat in the East. I'm not sure if they'd have enough shooting (as both DeRozan and Butler are horrible from distance, and Bam isn't there yet), but if anyone can figure that out, it's Coach Spo. They would be deadly from the mid-range and tough as nails, for sure.
    That team would have a serious Wild Bunch feel to it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That team would have a serious Wild Bunch feel to it.
    When I think of Peckinpah’s wild bunch, I think of a group with a code of honor, who break the code out of self-interest, and then seek to destroy themselves in self-immolating violence based on guilt.
    I am intrigued by the comparison, but how do those moral dilemmas signify identity for a professional sports team?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    When I think of Peckinpah’s wild bunch, I think of a group with a code of honor, who break the code out of self-interest, and then seek to destroy themselves in self-immolating violence based on guilt.
    I am intrigued by the comparison, but how do those moral dilemmas signify identity for a professional sports team?
    Aging group looking to win one last championship before riding off into the sunset. (Or destroy themselves in self-immolating violence, as the case may be).

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I was going with the notion that there's nothing more dangerous than a bunch of battle-tested guys nearing the end of their rope.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Los Angeles Lakers welcome back four former players in Dwight Howard, Trevor Ariza, Wayne Ellington and Kent Bazemore.
    Just because the Lakers are bringing back players from the past does not mean you should text your ex. It might work out for the Lakers. Won’t workout for you.
    Last edited by Betterread; 08-02-2021 at 11:37 PM.

Turn Off Ads?