Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: On an Up Note

On an Up Note

The team in Red is just one game under .500 and four games out of first with 105 games to play. And that's with a ton of injuries and a bullpen that is and has been...less than ideal. And a defective Castillo model.

So this is to celebrate being in a position to make it an interesting summer still while watching Castellanos and Winker and even India do fun and cool things. And Joey about to be back.

All that is left is for the posterboard of Castellini a la Major League while the team wins in spite of ownership's best efforts...*

*...or not. Maybe skip that part.

In any event, and I am prone to see things as bad side as anyone on here (well, maybe not FCB, he's always been better at that) - this a thread to note that they have a real chance to make this a memorable summer and make a run at the division.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Likes:

757690 (06-07-2021),CarolinaRedleg (06-08-2021),cumberlandreds (06-08-2021),Fil3232 (06-07-2021),forfreelin04 (06-08-2021),Joeyjection19 (06-07-2021),NebraskaRed (06-07-2021),pedro (06-09-2021),Red Raindog (06-07-2021),redhawkfish (06-07-2021),redsmetz (06-08-2021),RollyInRaleigh (06-08-2021),Ron Madden (06-07-2021),StRedlegs900 (06-07-2021),Tom Servo (06-07-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: On an Up Note

Baseball is unpredictable. Anyone on here who claims they know how this team is going to do for the rest of the season is wrong. Nobody knows.

Who would have predicted that they'd sweep the Cardinals in a 4 game series on the road?

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-07-2021),Roy Tucker (06-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Baseball is unpredictable. Anyone on here who claims they know how this team is going to do for the rest of the season is wrong. Nobody knows.

Who would have predicted that they'd sweep the Cardinals in a 4 game series on the road?
    Nah, I know.

After the way they handled the DBacks and Rocks. No I would not expect this.

8. Likes:

Falls City Beer (06-08-2021)

I don't think the bullpen woes need to be a fatal flaw. We've seen teams like the Braves in recent years completely overhaul their bullpen in-season, it comes down to whether the Reds are willing to be "buyers" or not come July. If they're still in the race they should be.

It feels like the offense is starting to really roll with the turn to the warm weather.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

Roy Tucker (06-07-2021),wlf WV (06-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't think the bullpen woes need to be a fatal flaw. We've seen teams like the Braves in recent years completely overhaul their bullpen in-season, it comes down to whether the Reds are willing to be "buyers" or not come July. If they're still in the race they should be.

It feels like the offense is starting to really roll with the turn to the warm weather.
    This pen is so bad that Reds can’t wait until the July deadline. Antone and Sims need support and help very soon. The Reds are going to destroy these two guys who have way too much burden on them.

12. Likes:

Chip R (06-08-2021),Indymoon (06-08-2021),mth123 (06-07-2021),RollyInRaleigh (06-08-2021),wlf WV (06-07-2021)

With the sweep of the Cardinals we have matched them in the loss column at 29. If we sweep the Brewers over the next 3 games we will catch them as well. Stranger things have happened. I appreciate the Reds understanding the urgency of these games and their extra collective effort can be the difference in this early mid-season stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post

This Reds team alone is exceptionally unpredictable it seems.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    This Reds team alone is exceptionally unpredictable it seems.
    Before this 4 game sweep, the Reds seemed poised to swirl down the basement drain. But then things changed. Last abbreviated season, they played this game too. It wasn’t till late in the season when they got a little bullpen help, they stabilized.

Baseball is a funny game. A 4 game sweep in St Louis, the first since 1990. And they have to rally after blowing a 7-0 lead in game 4. You can’t make this stuff up.

It is a lot of fun though.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

16. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-08-2021),Griffey012 (06-08-2021),NebraskaRed (06-08-2021),redsmetz (06-08-2021),Revering4Blue (06-07-2021)

Getting Votto back could be a nice boost as well great timing.

Echoing others, I would start to aggressively run some of the AAA young arms up here for the pen, by the way. It almost can't literally be worse than this. Stabalizing the pen, even a little bit, would really help make this a summer we could dream on.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

19. Likes:

Hoosier Red (06-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Echoing others, I would start to aggressively run some of the AAA young arms up here for the pen, by the way. It almost can't literally be worse than this. Stabalizing the pen, even a little bit, would really help make this a summer we could dream on.
    I agree and even if these young pitchers aren't quite ready or maybe aren't that good, we could possibly "steal" some productive innings out of them before the league gets a book on them. An example of this is Ryan Wagner in 2003. He had a funky delivery and eventually was figured out but he was very effective for a short time.

All we're trying to do here is steal innings in any way we can

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Yes. Start with getting Feliz off the team and then go from there.

Also, replacing Mark Payton, who offers absolutely nothing, with literally anyone would be an improvement to the bench.

Remember the Reds have been without three of the regulars for a while in Votto,Moose and Senzel. All three will be back,hopefully, soon. Add in Aquino who should be back soon and he provides an upgrade to the bench over just about anyone there now. Not bad to be only 4 games out with a significant portion of your regular 8 out of action.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

23. Likes:

membengal (06-08-2021)

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

The Reds have just wrapped up Game 57. If memory serves, it took almost this long for things to click last season, so it seems they're kind of riding the same trajectory.
    Hope isn't a strategy

25. Likes:

Griffey012 (06-08-2021)

Turn Off Ads?