Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm done overvaluing prospects

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I'm done overvaluing prospects

Something snapped in me when Nick Senzel got hurt for the howevermanyth time in his short Major League career. I realized I'm completely tired of counting on prospects to come up to the big league club and become stars. You can't do it. Nobody knows who will blossom into a viable player and who will flame out due to injury, ineffectiveness, or insanity.

Look at the Reds' top prospects from 2010-18 (Posted at the end; I'm going with Fangraphs because I don't have a BA sub). There are 55 different players listed over nine seasons. Taking out the 11 unknowns (Trammell, Greene, Santillan, Siri, Gutierrez, Siani, Garcia, Aquino, Long, Friedl and Howard if you squint), there are, by my count:

2 stars (Winker and Chapman)
    1 possible star (Castillo)
    13 established Major Leaguers who had some years of solid production (Boxberger, Wood, Leake, Alonso, Grandal, Gregorius, Frazier, Mesoraco, Cozart, Barnhart, Lorenzen, Iglesias, Garrett)
    2 promising rookies (India, T. Stephenson)
    27 others who either didn't make the Show or are sub-replacement

That's 18 of 44, for a hit rate of 40.9%. Around 40% of TOP 10 PROSPECTS, from a team that has consistently drafted in the top 10 over the past decade, have become, or are in the process of becoming, even a moderately productive Major Leaguer. You have better odds flipping a coin.

I guess my point is, we and the front office tend to criminally overrate our prospects, and I'm now of the mindset that every last damn one of them should be available in a trade for honest-to-god, real-life Major League baseball players who can help TODAY. I'm done saying, "Yeah, it'd be great to have a Devin Williams in the bullpen, but you just can't give up any top pieces for a reliever." Sure you can! Matter of fact, you should! Of those 11 unknowns I listed, 6 of em aren't gonna work out anyway. I don't know who they are. You don't, either. Nor does Krall. If it gets you back a sure thing, might as well let somebody else figure it out.

The only guarantee when it comes to prospects is that most of them will disappoint you.

1. Nick Senzel
    2. Taylor Trammell
    3. Hunter Greene
    4. Jonathan India
    5. Tyler Stephenson
    6. Tony Santillan
    7. Jose Siri
    8. Vladimir Guitierrez
    9. Mike Siani
    10. Jose Garcia

1. Nick Senzel
    2. Amir Garrett
    3. Jesse Winker
    4. Aristides Aquino
    5. Shed Long
    6. Taylor Trammell
    7. Robert Stephenson
    8 Chris Okey
    9. T.J. Friedl
    10. Luis Castillo

1. Jesse Winker
    2. Robert Stephenson
    3. Cody Reed
    4. Amir Garrett
    5. Alex Blandino
    6. Jose Peraza
    7. Nick Travieso
    8. Tyler Stephenson
    9. Keury Mella
    10. Blake Trahan

1. Robert Stephenson
    2. Jesse Winker
    3. Raisel Iglesias
    4. Michael Lorenzen
    5. Alex Blandino
    6. Nick Howard
    7. Nick Travieso
    8. Yorman Rodriguez
    9. Aristides Aquino
    10. Amir Garrett

1. Robert Stephenson
    2. Billy Hamilton
    3. Phillip Ervin
    4. Yorman Rodriguez
    5. Jesse Winker
    6. Michael Lorenzen
    7. Carlos Contreras
    8. Nick Travieso
    9. Tucker Barnhart
    10. David Holmberg

1. Billy Hamilton
    2. Robert Stephenson
    3. Tony Cingrani
    4. Daniel Corcino
    5. Nick Travieso
    6. Dan Langfield
    7. J.J. Hoover
    8. Kyle Lotzkar
    9. Jesse Winker
    10. Jeffrey Gelalich

1. Devin Mesoraco
    2. Billy Hamilton
    3. Daniel Corcino
    4. Robert Stephenson
    5. Zack Cozart
    6. Todd Frazier
    7. Didi Gregorius
    8. Tony Cingrani
    9. J.C. Sulbaran
    10. Henry Rodriguez

1. Aroldis Chapman
    2. Devin Mesoraco
    3. Billy Hamilton
    4. Yasmani Grandal
    5. Yonder Alonso
    6. Yorman Rodriguez
    7. Kyle Lotzkar
    8. Zack Cozart
    9. Juan Francisco
    10. Drew Cisco

1. Yonder Alonso
    2. Mike Leake
    3. Aroldis Chapman
    4. Juan Francisco
    5. Travis Wood
    6. Todd Frazier
    7. Chris Heisey
    8. Matt Maloney
    9. Devin Mesoraco
    10. Brad Boxberger
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Likes:

BillDoran (06-09-2021),M2 (06-09-2021),membengal (06-09-2021),REDREAD (06-09-2021),Tom Servo (06-09-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I'm done overvaluing prospects

It was the whole rebuild in general that did it for me. It's far too often a bridge to nowhere and teams get away with it by promising a sustainable future that they can't actually guarantee. You should always be open to trading for legitimate big league talent and not fall too in love with prospects.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

bm1475 (06-09-2021),Edd Roush (06-10-2021),fondfoat (05-28-2022),REDREAD (06-09-2021),WildcatFan (06-09-2021),wlf WV (05-26-2022),WrongVerb (06-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Something snapped in me when Nick Senzel got hurt for the howevermanyth time in his short Major League career. I realized I'm completely tired of counting on prospects to come up to the big league club and become stars. You can't do it. Nobody knows who will blossom into a viable player and who will flame out due to injury, ineffectiveness, or insanity.

Look at the Reds' top prospects from 2010-18 (Posted at the end; I'm going with Fangraphs because I don't have a BA sub). There are 55 different players listed over nine seasons. Taking out the 11 unknowns (Trammell, Greene, Santillan, Siri, Gutierrez, Siani, Garcia, Aquino, Long, Friedl and Howard if you squint), there are, by my count:

2 stars (Winker and Chapman)
    1 possible star (Castillo)
    13 established Major Leaguers who had some years of solid production (Boxberger, Wood, Leake, Alonso, Grandal, Gregorius, Frazier, Mesoraco, Cozart, Barnhart, Lorenzen, Iglesias, Garrett)
    2 promising rookies (India, T. Stephenson)
    27 others who either didn't make the Show or are sub-replacement

That's 18 of 44, for a hit rate of 40.9%. Around 40% of TOP 10 PROSPECTS, from a team that has consistently drafted in the top 10 over the past decade, have become, or are in the process of becoming, even a moderately productive Major Leaguer. You have better odds flipping a coin.

I guess my point is, we and the front office tend to criminally overrate our prospects, and I'm now of the mindset that every last damn one of them should be available in a trade for honest-to-god, real-life Major League baseball players who can help TODAY. I'm done saying, "Yeah, it'd be great to have a Devin Williams in the bullpen, but you just can't give up any top pieces for a reliever." Sure you can! Matter of fact, you should! Of those 11 unknowns I listed, 6 of em aren't gonna work out anyway. I don't know who they are. You don't, either. Nor does Krall. If it gets you back a sure thing, might as well let somebody else figure it out.

The only guarantee when it comes to prospects is that most of them will disappoint you.

1. Nick Senzel
    2. Taylor Trammell
    3. Hunter Greene
    4. Jonathan India
    5. Tyler Stephenson
    6. Tony Santillan
    7. Jose Siri
    8. Vladimir Guitierrez
    9. Mike Siani
    10. Jose Garcia

1. Nick Senzel
    2. Amir Garrett
    3. Jesse Winker
    4. Aristides Aquino
    5. Shed Long
    6. Taylor Trammell
    7. Robert Stephenson
    8 Chris Okey
    9. T.J. Friedl
    10. Luis Castillo

1. Jesse Winker
    2. Robert Stephenson
    3. Cody Reed
    4. Amir Garrett
    5. Alex Blandino
    6. Jose Peraza
    7. Nick Travieso
    8. Tyler Stephenson
    9. Keury Mella
    10. Blake Trahan

1. Robert Stephenson
    2. Jesse Winker
    3. Raisel Iglesias
    4. Michael Lorenzen
    5. Alex Blandino
    6. Nick Howard
    7. Nick Travieso
    8. Yorman Rodriguez
    9. Aristides Aquino
    10. Amir Garrett

1. Robert Stephenson
    2. Billy Hamilton
    3. Phillip Ervin
    4. Yorman Rodriguez
    5. Jesse Winker
    6. Michael Lorenzen
    7. Carlos Contreras
    8. Nick Travieso
    9. Tucker Barnhart
    10. David Holmberg

1. Billy Hamilton
    2. Robert Stephenson
    3. Tony Cingrani
    4. Daniel Corcino
    5. Nick Travieso
    6. Dan Langfield
    7. J.J. Hoover
    8. Kyle Lotzkar
    9. Jesse Winker
    10. Jeffrey Gelalich

1. Devin Mesoraco
    2. Billy Hamilton
    3. Daniel Corcino
    4. Robert Stephenson
    5. Zack Cozart
    6. Todd Frazier
    7. Didi Gregorius
    8. Tony Cingrani
    9. J.C. Sulbaran
    10. Henry Rodriguez

1. Aroldis Chapman
    2. Devin Mesoraco
    3. Billy Hamilton
    4. Yasmani Grandal
    5. Yonder Alonso
    6. Yorman Rodriguez
    7. Kyle Lotzkar
    8. Zack Cozart
    9. Juan Francisco
    10. Drew Cisco

1. Yonder Alonso
    2. Mike Leake
    3. Aroldis Chapman
    4. Juan Francisco
    5. Travis Wood
    6. Todd Frazier
    7. Chris Heisey
    8. Matt Maloney
    9. Devin Mesoraco
    10. Brad Boxberger
    They are called prospects for a reason. Just like NFL rookies or NBA rookies or High school kids going to play College football or Basketball. You never know how they will preform. Even the highest rated players sometime fail. Baseball of course is the hardest sport to predict on the draft.
    I just like you are both UK fans. Look at the last several season of 5 star busts on the UK basketball team. I don't get all hyped up on mixed tapes of a 5 star. I take a wait and see approach. As you know those kids are built up to the next big thing at UK and after a couple games half the UK fan base turns on them if they don't dominate.
    Last edited by KeefeCato; 06-09-2021 at 05:26 PM.

I agree with the overall sentiment, but have they drafted top 10 most of the time over the past 10 years? They didn’t from like 2010-2015.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I agree with the overall sentiment, but have they drafted top 10 most of the time over the past 10 years? They didn’t from like 2010-2015.
    Yea, you’re right. Disregard that part.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Yea, you’re right. Disregard that part.
    Edit: 6 times since Alonso in 2008. Drafted Tyler Stephenson 11th.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I would be interested to see this exercise done with other teams. I wonder how much this is a “prospects don’t pan out” problem as much as it is a “the Reds suck at developing players” problem. I would be surprised for example if that % held up for the Rays.

Not that I want the Reds to engage in the same level of austerity Tampa does, but they could stand to start turning minor leaguers into useful big leaguers more often.

I don’t think a team like the Reds should go all out in either direction for what it’s worth. I feel like the approach of the last few years could still be productive if they didn’t decide to slash the payroll to the bone over the offseason.

You should do your Trammell-Bauer trades whenever they present themselves and sign the Nick Castellanoses or Mooses of the world when they’re out there, but they do need to do a better job of identifying the Winkers and Castillos and hanging on to them. And actually turning guys like Senzel into stars more often.

11. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-10-2021),Griffey012 (06-09-2021),Revering4Blue (06-09-2021)

What the hell, my wife is working late.

Tampa Bay Rays Top 10 Prospects 2010-18
    48 different players
    Minus 10 unknowns (Honeywell, Bauers, De Leon, Williams, Solak, McKay, Lowe, Padlo, Fox, Sanchez)
    2 stars (Davis, Snell)
    12 established Major Leaguers who had some years of solid production (Odorizzi, Jennings, Beckham, Hellickson, Moore, Colome, Archer, McGee, Myers, Stanek, Adames, maybe Souza)

12 of 38, for 31.5%

1. Brent Honeywell
    2. Brendan McKay
    3. Jesus Sanchez
    4. Jake Bauers
    5. Willy Adames
    6. Joshua Lowe
    7. Nick Solak
    8. Lucius Fox (!)
    9. Justin Williams
    10 Austin Franklin

1. Willy Adames
    2. Brent Honeywell
    3. Jose De Leon
    4. Jesus Sanchez
    5. Jake Bauers
    6. Josh Lowe
    7. Chih-Wei Hu
    8 Lucius Fox
    9. Casey Gillaspie
    10. Adrian Rondon

1. Blake Snell
    2. Willy Adames
    3. Brent Honeywell
    4. Taylor Guerrieri
    5. Kevin Padlo
    6. Daniel Robertson
    7. Adrian Rondon
    8. Garrett Whitley
    9. Chris Betts
    10. Mikie Mahtook

1. Steven Souza
    2. Willy Adames
    3. Justin O'Conner
    4. Daniel Robertson
    5. Alex Colome
    6. Blake Snell
    7. Taylor Guerrieri
    8. Andrew Velazquez
    9. Brent Honeywell

1. Jake Odorizzi
    2. Alex Colome
    3. Enny Romero
    4. Taylor Guerrieri
    5. Hak-Ju Lee
    6. Ryne Stanek
    7. Andrew Toles
    8. Nick Ciuffo
    9. Ryan Brett
    10. Felipe Rivero

1. Wil Myers
    2. Chris Archer
    3. Hak-Ju Lee
    4. Taylor Guerrieri
    5. Alex Colome
    6. Jake Odorizzi
    7. Richard Shaffer
    8. Enny Romero
    9. Drew Vettleson
    10. Felipe Rivero

1. Matt Moore
    2. Hak-Ju Lee
    3. Taylor Guerrieri
    4. Chris Archer
    5. Enny Romero
    6. Alex Colome
    7. Alex Torres
    8. Mikie Mahtook
    9. Drew Vettleson
    10. Tim Beckham

1. Jeremy Hellickson
    2. Matt Moore
    3. Desmond Jennings
    4. Chris Archer
    5. Jake McGee
    6. Josh Sale
    7. Alex Colome
    8. Hak-Ju Lee
    9. Alex Torres
    10. Justin O'Conner

1. Desmond Jennings
    2. Jeremy Hellickson
    3. Tim Beckham
    4. Wade Davis
    5. Matt Moore
    6. Nick Barnese
    7. Reid Brignac
    8. Alex Colome
    9. Kyle Lobstein
    10 Alex Torres

13. Likes:

DocRed (06-10-2021),REDREAD (06-09-2021)

Picking horses is a hard thing for sure. I gave up years ago myself, you can see guys who will stick around but it's hard to pin down who is the next superstar. Any player that gets six years service time is good, maybe not a superstar but they are doing something right

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-09-2021),dfs (06-09-2021),Tom Servo (06-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Picking horses is a hard thing for sure. I gave up years ago myself, you can see guys who will stick around but it's hard to pin down who is the next superstar. Any player that gets six years service time is good, maybe not a superstar but they are doing something right
    One thing I'm definitely well past is playing any sort of service time games. I never liked it but at one point saw it as a necessary evil. No more, I don't want the Reds to ever mess around with that stuff again.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

17. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (06-10-2021),fondfoat (05-28-2022),REDREAD (06-09-2021),RedTeamGo! (06-09-2021),TRF (06-10-2021),westofyou (06-09-2021),WildcatFan (06-09-2021)

The Cincinnati Reds are going nowhere without significant contributions from their farm system now and in the future. It's really that simple.

Hell, even the Yankees have moved away from the mentality that you can just use your farm system as trade ammo and fill other roster holes in free agency. They eventually learned that money alone couldn't get it done. The major difference is that they actually have the ability to throw around hundreds of millions of dollars each offseason in long-term contracts.

This team could trade away all their top prospects and they're still not going to be in position to compete for a World Series this year. Too many holes to fill, not enough elite prospects.

Imagine how great the last decade would have been if the Reds traded away Votto, Cueto, Encarnacion and Bailey for Erik Bedard...or for Joe Blanton.

19. Likes:

DocRed (06-10-2021),podgejeff_ (06-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    The Cincinnati Reds are going nowhere without significant contributions from their farm system now and in the future. It's really that simple.

Hell, even the Yankees have moved away from the mentality that you can just use your farm system as trade ammo and fill roster holes in free agency. They eventually learned that money alone couldn't get it done. The major difference is that they actually have the ability to throw around hundreds of millions of dollars each offseason in long-term contracts.

This team could trade away all their top prospects and they're still not going to be in position to compete for a World Series this year. Too many holes to fill, not enough elite prospects.

Imagine how great the last decade would have been if the Reds traded away Votto, Cueto, Encarnacion and Bailey for Erik Bedard...or for Joe Blanton.
    You're absolutely right but I don't know that anybody is suggesting that the farm should be emptied. Just that the popular axiom about the importance of hoarding prospects is equally misguided. Keep some, trade others.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (06-09-2021),RedTeamGo! (06-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    You're absolutely right but I don't know that anybody is suggesting that the farm should be emptied. Just that the popular axiom about the importance of hoarding prospects is equally misguided. Keep some, trade others.
    This, exactly. You’ll make some moves you wish you could take back, but overall you should be improving the big league club in years where you’re competitive. Hoard prospects when the ML team is going nowhere.

23. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-09-2021),fondfoat (05-28-2022)

This, exactly. You’ll make some moves you wish you could take back, but overall you should be improving the big league club in years where you’re competitive. Hoard prospects when the ML team is going nowhere.
    They aren't really competitive though. They are benefiting from being in a really bad division and are still noticeably worse than the Brewers/Cubs. The NL Central is their ceiling, even if they make significant moves.

You have to weigh improving the big league club against damaging the future. If the Reds traded away Bailey, Cueto and Votto+ for Erik Bedard/Joe Blanton, they'd have set back the franchise a decade.

Some of those years were just really weak farm systems too, explaining why the success rate is lower. Add in a few career-altering injuries and it'll look worse. ​

It's not a surprise that the last time the Reds had some sustained success their team was built around a good amount of homegrown talent.

25. Likes:

mth123 (06-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    They aren't really competitive though. They are benefiting from being in a really bad division and are still noticeably worse than the Brewers/Cubs. The NL Central is their ceiling, even if they make significant moves.

You have to weigh improving the big league club against damaging the future. If the Reds traded away Bailey, Cueto and Votto+ for Erik Bedard/Joe Blanton, they'd have set back the franchise a decade.

Some of those years were just really weak farm systems too, explaining why the success rate is lower. Add in a few career-altering injuries and it'll look worse. ​

It's not a surprise that the last time the Reds had some sustained success their team was built around a good amount of homegrown talent.
    Yes, I agree that trade idea from 15 years ago that keeps coming up would have been a bad one.

What about if they’d traded something like Mesoraco, Hamilton, and Stephenson for James Shields in 2011? They were supposedly in on that. Are you glad they traded for Bauer in 2019? You missing top prospect Taylor Trammell? The hit rate on proven major leaguers is way higher than the hit rate on top prospects.

Again, you can’t deal em all. But hanging onto them in hopes of future productivity is a gamble that favors the house.

27. Likes:

REDREAD (06-09-2021)

Turn Off Ads?