Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm done overvaluing prospects

Re: I'm done overvaluing prospects

The Dodger deal was all about Bailey’s contract. That commitment including buyout was something like $28 million. Reds needed to get production from that large part of their payroll.

This wasn’t a typical situation or trade. Reds’ backs were against the wall if they wanted to avoid another 90 loss season. They had to reallocate that very substantial sum.

Despite the loss of prospects, I don’t hold it against Reds. Mostly it’s a cautionary tale about huge long term contracts by small markets.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-10-2021 at 05:28 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I don't really have any input in this discussion. All I will say is that it does bother me when I see one of our former prospects flourishing with another team.

4. Likes:

SoTxRedsFan (06-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    The problem is that Jeter Downs and Josiah Gray are Top 50 prospects. The Reds were very inefficient in using said prospects to acquire talent. If you're going to trade away good prospects, get controllable talent in return.

They decided saving money and getting the Dodgers to eat Bailey's contract was more important than surrendering less prospect value. Stupid.

Since the Dodgers used Downs in the deal to land Mookie Betts and still have Gray, I'd say they're the clear winners.
    Jeter Downs is currently struggling at AAA and Josiah Gray has pitched one game this year before going on the IL with a shoulder injury. Meh.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Jeter Downs is currently struggling at AAA and Josiah Gray has pitched one game this year before going on the IL with a shoulder injury. Meh.
    I hear Yasiel Puig is available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

8. Likes:

Kinsm (06-10-2021),RedTeamGo! (06-10-2021)

The point is that they traded away those prospects and have nothing left to show for it. Their value wasn't maximized, which is what smaller market teams have to do. The Reds have been very inefficient for basically the past decade.

Once again, if you are going trade quality prospects, you can't be surrendering them to get out from under bad contracts or to acquire rentals.

10. Likes:

757690 (06-10-2021)

The point is that they traded away those prospects and have nothing left to show for it. Their value wasn't maximized, which is what smaller market teams have to do. The Reds have been very inefficient for basically the past decade.

Once again, if you are going trade quality prospects, you can't be surrendering them to get out from under bad contracts or to acquire rentals.
    On top of that, their value increased greatly the year after the trade. So much for Downs, that he was a key part of the Mookie Betts deal.

This was a swing and a miss by the Reds in proper use of these prospects.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

12. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (06-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I believe the referenced trade, IIRC, in 2012 was the the Rays/Royals trade with Shields and Will Myers as principle components.

Nearly everyone thought Dayton Moore was crazy for engineering that deal at that particular time, but it really paid off for the Royals. It’s not often that two young organizational crown jewels are dealt for one another anymore.

Edit: WildCatFan answered the question.
    When Moore made that trade Rany Jazayerli tore them apart, when they won the WS he did a major mea culpa

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/ml...le2302371.html

14. Likes:

M2 (06-10-2021),Revering4Blue (06-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    On top of that, their value increased greatly the year after the trade. So much for Downs, that he was a key part of the Mookie Betts deal.

Yep. Gray was charging up the rankings before he was traded.

I didn't mind trading Downs at all for the same reason as Shed Long: positional value and India making him expendable.

The issue I have is that Gray/Downs could have been packaged with other prospects to get a higher-quality, controllable pitcher.

The only time I'm fine with surrendering legitimate prospects for rentals is when the Reds are a piece away from contending for a World Series. Otherwise, what's the point? If you're going to use your prospect ammo in trades, do it for guys that can potentially create a multi-year window with others coming up through the farm system.

Yep. Gray was charging up the rankings before he was traded.

I didn't mind trading Downs at all for the same reason as Shed Long: positional value and India making him expendable.

The issue I have is that Gray/Downs could have been packaged with other prospects to get a higher-quality, controllable pitcher.

The only time I'm fine with surrendering legitimate prospects for rentals is when the Reds are a piece away from contending for a World Series. Otherwise, what's the point? If you're going to use your prospect ammo in trades, do it for guys that can potentially create a multi-year window with others coming up through the farm system.

100%. They made the move way too early. I don’t think there’s any way to defend this move in particular for the reasons below,but a prospect for proven players move is great if you are a few pieces away from contention. We were nowhere near ready for that.
    Just how bad was that trade:
    On the return side, it looks like the Reds did no research or checkups on Wood or Kemp, we got absolutely nothing from them. Puig was probably the reason this team was out of contention a month in. If you recall, he was black hole in the 4 spot I believe for way too long. Farmer has had a few moments but mainly fodder.
    We did move Baileys salary but it costs prospects. We were in a REBUILD, that should never happen. Not to mention, he was better in 2019 than Wood and Kemp.
    Now on what we gave up.
    Josiah Gray is a top 50 prospect and rated above Hunter Greene and Nock Lodolo. Think about that. Now, two things, I don’t think any of us feel that is true, and I would bet big money both Lodolo and Greene end up better, but that is the case on multiple lists right now. I’ve see. People defend the FO and say how should they have known he was going to breakout.....well that’s kind of their job isn’t it?
    Downs is a toolsy kid that is in AAA holding his own at 22. He’s going to be a solid player. His power and speed combo was evident. He was flipped as a key piece in a deal for a top 5 player in the game. No matter what he turns out to be, the damage is done.
    As others have said, those guys were sold at their low point for nothing. They have tons of value now and we have nothing.

Fortunately India and Barrero look to be our up the middle tandem but man, Gray would be a heck of a back of the rotation starter to go along with what we have plus Lodolo and Greene

I don’t really think we need to rehash if the trade was a win or not for the Reds. My point was those two prospects didn’t pan out, even with lofty rankings. I was speaking to the point brought up by the OP.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-10-2021),WildcatFan (06-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

Their value was known before the Reds traded them. Without going into much detail they were considered some of the Dodgers top prospects before they had even played a single game in the organization. Scouts were really high on Gray after his Rookie Ball season. Really high. The Reds had to know it because I knew it and you can’t tell me my information source is more in the know then they would be.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

20. Likes:

LARKIN (06-10-2021)

I don’t really think we need to rehash if the trade was a win or not for the Reds. My point was those two prospects didn’t pan out, even with lofty rankings. I was speaking to the point brought up by the OP.
    I won’t spin my wheels on this anymore after this post, but are you saying Downs and Gray have busted already? Because that is nowhere near true.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Their value was known before the Reds traded them. Without going into much detail they were considered some of the Dodgers top prospects before they had even played a single game in the organization. Scouts were really high on Gray after his Rookie Ball season. Really high. The Reds had to know it because I knew it and you can’t tell me my information source is more in the know then they would be.
    Went back and looked at some reports of the trade to refresh memory. Based on those, Downs was in the 7-8 range among Reds’ prospects. Gray wasn’t top ten. One projection was for Downs to be in the 7-10 prospect range for Dodgers and Gray to be in the back half of their top 15, whatever that meant.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-10-2021 at 02:17 PM.

Downs hit 13 home runs and walked in 10% of his PA as a 19 year old at Dayton. Dodgers and Red Sox have known what they're doing.

Can't believe we have to again rehash a trade from two years ago about guys who still haven't even made MLB debuts yet. I also remember when the immortal Luis Gohara was the darling prospect who got away. The Reds have definitely fumbled some bags but I'd wait until these guys are actually doing something of real note to get upset about it.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?