Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spider Tack

Spider Tack

According to a June 13 NYT article MLB since April has been collecting game balls and testing them for foreign substances. They have found substances on 50%+ of the balls. The most popular being Spider Tack, a ultra sick glue like substance. Spider Tack and similar substances may be responsible for:
    "After the sport dealt with illegal steroids and illicit sign-stealing, now comes foreign substances on baseballs, a skyrocketing trend that is believed to have played a key role in turning the sport into a monotonous procession of strikeouts and low-scoring games."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/12/s...ider-tack.html

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-15-2021),Gallen5862 (06-15-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Spider Tack

Anyone notice that the Reds' pitchers have been doing better since MLB announced they'd be cracking down? I wonder if the team as a whole was using that stuff and the change was drastic enough that it was throwing pitchers off their game. But now that the substance has been banned, they're able to go back to what's more familiar. Just a speculative thought.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Ten game suspension for pitchers caught with such substances on them

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...on-sources-say

Well if it's true it's probably the pitchers trying to counteract the obvious juiced balls of the past few seasons. I mean you had 6,700 home runs hit in 2019 which is 1,700 more than the year Big Mac and Sosa had their historic chase of the record, and 1,500 more than the year when Bonds hit 73. What do they expect pitchers to do when they basically shrink the laces even with the rest of the ball?
    Last edited by JCM11; 06-15-2021 at 10:28 AM.

where is the poster who is disguised as trevor bauer? he cannot be happy about this.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Anyone notice that the Reds' pitchers have been doing better since MLB announced they'd be cracking down? I wonder if the team as a whole was using that stuff and the change was drastic enough that it was throwing pitchers off their game. But now that the substance has been banned, they're able to go back to what's more familiar. Just a speculative thought.
    All speculation, of course, but look at certain teams (Cardinals, for example) who have done dramatically worse lately.

9. Likes:

WrongVerb (06-15-2021)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

So you are saying "Spider Tack" messed up our pitching?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    where is the poster who is disguised as trevor bauer? he cannot be happy about this.
    Bauer has been pretty clear from the beginning that what frustrated him was that players who didn't cheat were at a significant disadvantage. He's said he's fine not using stuff personally, but that the unequal playing field bugged him immensely. When, say, Gerrit Cole (Bauer's UCLA teammate and somewhat of a personal rival) became a Cy Young threat when he arrived in Houston and his spin rate spiked up, and there was no consequence, it was clear that cheating was the way to go.

I think there's a pretty clear reason why Bauer signed a 3-year deal this off-season instead of going year-to-year as he claimed he always would. It was a smart hedge.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 06-15-2021 at 10:55 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

12. Likes:

757690 (06-15-2021),Bob Sheed (06-15-2021),Griffey012 (06-15-2021),mbgrayson (06-16-2021),Mitri (06-15-2021),Red Raindog (06-16-2021),Ron Madden (06-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    So you are saying "Spider Tack" messed up our pitching?
    I'm not saying anything. Just speculating. It could be a complete coincidence.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Bauer has been pretty clear from the beginning that what frustrated him was that players who didn't cheat were at a significant disadvantage. He's said he's fine not using stuff personally, but that the unequal playing field bugged him immensely. When, say, Gerrit Cole (Bauer's UCLA teammate and somewhat of a personal rival) became a Cy Young threat when he arrived in Houston and his spin rate spiked up, and there was no consequence, it was clear that cheating was the way to go.

I think there's a pretty clear reason why Bauer signed a 3-year deal this off-season instead of going year-to-year as he claimed he always would. It was a smart hedge.
    I think the same thought process is what started Barry Bonds on the Juice.

16. Likes:

RiverRat13 (06-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    I think he's on Dodgerzone now.

18. Likes:

Assembly Hall (06-15-2021),camisadelgolf (06-16-2021),podgejeff_ (06-15-2021),Wonderful Monds (06-16-2021)

This will be interesting to see how this effects pitching not only in the Mlb, but also college and some of the elite high school travel teams. The use of this was not just an relegated to the MLB.

In the Spider Tack discussion on the Jomboy baseball podcast I just heard, two of the handful of names they mentioned as users with increased spin rate were Miley and Sims. In context, they said every team has someone using the stuff.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I'm not saying anything. Just speculating. It could be a complete coincidence.
    I get where you are coming from. The boys just don't know how to play with their new "toy."

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I get where you are coming from. The boys just don't know how to play with their new "toy."
    I've seen it in other arenas. A new idea gets introduced and you struggle to adapt to it. Happened to me when I got back into bowling and all the equipment had changed substantially from when I was a youth. I figured it out eventually, but it took me about 1.5 years.

Turn Off Ads?