Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Spider Tack

Re: Spider Tack

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Glasnow is upset because he tore his UCL 2 starts after stopping using sticky stuff.
    That's on him. He should not have made his game so reliant on foreign substances. He's an idiot and I don't feel a bit sorry for him.

2. Likes:

Chip R (06-16-2021),Larkin Fan (06-16-2021),Roy Tucker (06-16-2021),texasdave (06-16-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Yeah, we all know that’s what you think, you post it over and over again. And I agree. But that’s irrelevant to this point. No team would openly brag that they were cheating. I can’t see any team brag about being great at achieve high spin rates, if they were cheating to do it.
    They aren't bragging. They are quietly teaching guys in the bullpen how to get more spin by methods I think are probably questionable. They may be bragging about the results, but they aren't telling people who they do it and 29 other teams are probably doing something similar.
    Last edited by mth123; 06-16-2021 at 01:50 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I am sure there would, but if players have a whole off-season and spring training to adjust to life without their spider tack or whatever else, I won't be buying any of their complaints. As it stands now, I can't say their complaints are unfounded.
    I don't like changing something like this mid-season. However, there have been memos and statements by MLB letting players they will be checking for this. Changing it in mid-season helps teams out when they decide if they are going to acquire or keep a pitcher. If a team thinks that Pitcher A is succeeding because of the foreign substance(s) they may decide to let him go or not sign him. Now you have over a half-season of data to make that decision rather than an off season of wondering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I read what Glasnow said. To paraphrase, he said "Wahh, you guys had a rule you didn't enforce, so I broke it so many time I got used to it, and now that you said you're going to start enforcing it I don't even remember how to pitch the right way. Wahh, sob."

Glasgow broke a rule, one that's been a part of baseball for quite some time. Just because MLB decided to begin enforcing it because of the severity of it being abused doesn't mean the players shouldn't be prepared for it to be enforced. His mindset should have been "I'll break this rule until they enforce it, and when they do I'll stop." Instead it was, "I completely altered my game based around breaking this rule, and now that they're enforcing it I got an ouchie."
    But that's not really what he said. He didn't forget how to pitch, the game he was hurt he went 4 IP. 2 ER. 6K's, and 3 hits throwing 53 pitches. He dominated the nationals the start prior without sticky stuff. His whole point is that suddenly enforcing the rule is going to cause pitchers to change the way they grip the ball, throw certain pitches, etc. Doing that while fully ramped up in the middle of the season is going to cause injuries. And he's probably not wrong.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

That's on him. He should not have made his game so reliant on foreign substances. He's an idiot and I don't feel a bit sorry for him.
    That’s quite the absolute statement. Idk, the guys throws a rock 100 mph, when you suddenly outlaw the grip he has been using for years in the middle of the season I could see it resulting in an injury.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

That’s quite the absolute statement. Idk, the guys throws a rock 100 mph, when you suddenly outlaw the grip he has been using for years in the middle of the season I could see it resulting in an injury.
    So, should we brace ourselves for a boatload of injuries to pitchers?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    So, should we brace ourselves for a boatload of injuries to pitchers?
    Idk, we saw our high spin guy hit the IL almost immediately after this started. Antone almost immediately had forearm tightness.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    They aren't bragging. They are quietly teaching guys in the bullpen how to get more spin by methods I think are probably questionable. They may be bragging about the results, but they aren't telling people who they do it and 29 other teams are probably doing something similar.
    They made and wore shirts that said “Spincinatti.” They bragged plenty about how they were focusing on adding spin to the press who reported that bragging.

I think you are conflating pitchers using something like rosin and sunscreen to get a better grip and control, with pitchers using spider tack which basically glues their fingers to the ball, in order to improve spin. Nearly every pitcher is doing the former, only a handful are doing the latter, though it may be more than a handful, we will likely find out.

I just can’t imagine the Reds would brag about how they are teaching their pitchers to add spin, and that they way they were doing that was by using an illegal substance. They cant’ be that dumb. Or maybe I am wrong and they are that dumb, we will likely find out.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Who’s outlawing a grip? Give me a break.

Who’s outlawing a grip? Give me a break.
    MLB is. Isn’t that what we are talking about?

MLB is. Isn’t that what we are talking about?
    Don't give me that act. MLB is not outlawing grips. They are enforcing a rule that has been a part of the league for a long time. If Tyler Glasnow has to make such a drastic change to the way he holds a baseball because he can't cheat anymore, that's a Tyler Glasnow problem.

I agree that the league could have rolled this out years ago, during an offseason, to let guys prepare for not being able to use foreign substances to get better grips or what have you. But I'm just glad they're doing something, and it's better to do it now than to wait until the next offseason. That's just how I feel, I'm glad they're doing it and I don't have a lot of time for the guys who are out there whining about it.

14. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (06-17-2021),texasdave (06-16-2021)

Don't give me that act. MLB is not outlawing grips. They are enforcing a rule that has been a part of the league for a long time. If Tyler Glasnow has to make such a drastic change to the way he holds a baseball because he can't cheat anymore, that's a Tyler Glasnow problem.

I agree that the league could have rolled this out years ago, during an offseason, to let guys prepare for not being able to use foreign substances to get better grips or what have you. But I'm just glad they're doing something, and it's better to do it now than to wait until the next offseason. That's just how I feel, I'm glad they're doing it and I don't have a lot of time for the guys who are out there whining about it.
    What act? Why are you being so hostile?

I’m just saying, Glasnow’s problem or whatever, they took something away midseason that MLB had been turning a blind eye to, and coaches were pushing for years, midseason. I don’t think it’s crazy or stupid to think Glasnow might have a point about it contributing to his injury.

16. Likes:

Griffey012 (06-16-2021)

What act? Why are you being so hostile?

I’m just saying, Glasnow’s problem or whatever, they took something away midseason that MLB had been turning a blind eye to, and coaches were pushing for years, midseason. I don’t think it’s crazy or stupid to think Glasnow might have a point about it contributing to his injury.
    Sorry man, I'm not trying to be hostile, but I think you know that MLB is not outlawing how guys grip a baseball. They are (re) beginning to enforce a rule that bans foreign substances from being used by pitchers. It's a rule that we are all familiar with. It has become a "grip" issue because guys were dumb enough to fine-tune their entire arsenal around a foreign substance. That what it sounds like Glasnow has done. Didn't he think about what might happen if MLB says they can't use it anymore?

For me, it's not so much about the guys cheating, because as mth notes, every team does it in some form. What bothers me are the guys who whine about it when they get caught - as if they are the victim. Just take the pinch and move on like a profressional.

Sorry man, I'm not trying to be hostile, but I think you know that MLB is not outlawing how guys grip a baseball. They are (re) beginning to enforce a rule that bans foreign substances from being used by pitchers. It's a rule that we are all familiar with. It has become a "grip" issue because guys were dumb enough to fine-tune their entire arsenal around a foreign substance. That what it sounds like Glasnow has done. Didn't he think about what might happen if MLB says they can't use it anymore?

For me, it's not so much about the guys cheating, because as mth notes, every team does it in some form. What bothers me are the guys who whine about it when they get caught - as if they are the victim. Just take the pinch and move on like a profressional.
    But he’s not whining about getting caught. He actually stopped using it weeks before mlb even said they were going to officially start enforcing the rules. He’s whining because they are doing it midseason and he got hurt after changing his mechanics.

19. Likes:

Griffey012 (06-16-2021)

But he’s not whining about getting caught. He actually stopped using it weeks before mlb even said they were going to officially start enforcing the rules. He’s whining because they are doing it midseason and he got hurt after changing his mechanics.
    But why did he have to change his mechanics?

Turn Off Ads?