Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: John Sadak

Re: John Sadak

I soured on Thom doing PBP for the Reds right when they brought him in. For reasons people have outlined here a thousand times.

He should have made them fire him though, instead of quitting. Same result, but at least it's on record why he was fired. Just like it's on record when someone says something derogatory on-air and they don't get fired.

It's not like he's ever calling games for the Reds again. At least I hope not. He might as well have gone down swinging and forced the Reds' hand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I don’t want it to go to Joe Nuxhall extremes, but not all air time needs to be filled with talking. Relax guys, it’s a long game. You’ll have time to talk about a topic when it arises. Don’t force it in.
    this, 100%. Sadak and Larkin need to let the game breathe.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Turn Off Ads?

I have fond memories of the handful of Reds television broadcasts that I got to see as a kid where Bench was in the booth with Gordy Coleman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

4. Likes:

Bob Sheed (07-23-2021),Old school 1983 (07-27-2021),REDREAD (07-23-2021),UKFlounder (07-23-2021)

I think Sadak's game with Brantley (7/26 with Cubs with the Baez taunting) was Sadak's best game so far this year.
    Brantley gives good information as a color analyst, and Sadak did a pretty good job of talking with him.
    Brantley talks a lot more than Larkin, which I think limits the number of over-enthusiastic PBP that Sadak has.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Does anyone feel like Sadak is delaying some of his calls to make sure he gets them right? lol

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I think Sadak's game with Brantley (7/26 with Cubs with the Baez taunting) was Sadak's best game so far this year.
    Brantley gives good information as a color analyst, and Sadak did a pretty good job of talking with him.
    Brantley talks a lot more than Larkin, which I think limits the number of over-enthusiastic PBP that Sadak has.
    Yeah. Larkin is prone to long bouts of silence, who knows why (it's better than the opposite) but Sadak feels like he must fill that void with anecdotal chatter. Sometimes that chatter is interesting - he understands analytics and his pop-culture tidbits can occasionally be fun - but oftentimes just feels like him talking for the sake of it. Larkin and Sadak are two guys learning on the job. Anything's better than Thom (even if Sadak's voice does bear more than a resemblance to his), but they both have a ways to go before it becomes a first-rate team. I do like Sadak's enthusiasm for the Reds, he seems to geniunely enjoy the players and clearly loves his job; that counts for a whole lot in my book.

8. Likes:

BCubb2003 (07-27-2021),REDREAD (07-27-2021)

Sadak is adjusting. And improving.

I have noticed he is letting the game breathe lately. He's also laying off of the home run calls on routine flyouts.

He's getting better, and clearly open to doing so.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

10. Likes:

Chip R (08-02-2021),goreds2 (07-28-2021),REDREAD (07-27-2021),Roy Tucker (07-28-2021)

I think I understand why Sadak had problems with HR calls on routine flyballs. Actually anyone living in a city with a minor league park can see it. It's the height of the press box on home games and they still are not traveling with the team, correct? He may have a different view calling the game from monitors than when at the park.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

12. Likes:

Chip R (08-02-2021),goreds2 (07-28-2021),REDREAD (07-27-2021)

Sadak has improved a decent bit and adapted some. He’s not great or natural but he’s not irritating me too much anymore.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (07-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I think I understand why Sadak had problems with HR calls on routine flyballs. Actually anyone living in a city with a minor league park can see it. It's the height of the press box on home games and they still are not traveling with the team, correct? He may have a different view calling the game from monitors than when at the park.
    Yes but pause one second and read the outfielders a bit….also when Bench was in the booth he called it a HR immediately off the bat and it didn’t go out by much…..he knew from the press box. Sadak is bad at reading thrm but has improved.

Haunted by walks

I think a lot of announcers today do too much hyping of what they anticipate will happen instead of explaining what has happened. Baseball has a lot of failure. You hype Kyle Farmer, he’ll strike out. You hype that a pitcher doesn’t walk a lot of batters, he’ll walk the next one. You talk about how hot Votto is right now, he’ll look bad on the next pitch. There’s a way to give some context to an at-bat — Votto is hot, Aquino has had some decent at-bats — without constantly being shown up on the next pitch.

17. Likes:

Huntman (08-15-2021),REDREAD (07-27-2021),Ron Madden (07-27-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

That’s been proposed before, but I think it’d make more sense if not for the fact that he’s also really bad about it at GABP too.

he is watching the same feed that we are. there have been several times this year i could tell right away there was no chance a ball was going to be a home run, but there was sadak yelling like it was crushed into the upper deck, only to be caught in front of the warning track. not joking -- at least 15-20x this year. i thought thom was bad at that. sadak is the worst i've ever heard at thinking a routine fly ball is perhaps a home run off the bat. it's like a fan seeing a game in person for the first time (or watching one on TV for the first time).

overall, i don't dislike sadak as much as most of you, but that is the biggest thing that annoys me about him

20. Likes:

Huntman (08-15-2021),REDREAD (07-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Does anyone feel like Sadak is delaying some of his calls to make sure he gets them right? lol
    I feel it's the complete opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    That’s been proposed before, but I think it’d make more sense if not for the fact that he’s also really bad about it at GABP too.
    No that's my point. He was really good yesterday with only remote monitors. At home, in the press booth he struggles.

It's something I think he can over come.

One thing I really do like is his almost poetic love for the game. He's got a fantastic elocution that sounds almost like reading to me. Not that he is reading but rather that I am.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I really like Sadak. Seems like a good guy who genuinely loves the Reds and he seems to enjoy what he’s doing every day when he shows up for work.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

24. Likes:

CaiGuy (07-28-2021),cincinnati chili (08-15-2021),Ron Madden (07-28-2021),Tom Servo (07-28-2021),WildcatFan (07-28-2021)

Turn Off Ads?