Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: John Sadak

Re: John Sadak

I was flipping through the plethora of college basketball games Saturday and when I got to the Colorado State/San Diego State game I saw John Sadak doing the game. It was a CBS game and Jim Spanarkel was his analyst. Sadak must be in some high regards as a PBP announcer since CBS has him doing games now. The little I watched he seemed OK and is better suited to a faster paced game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Likes:

REDREAD (01-11-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Jim Spanarkel... played so long ago Coach K wasn't the head coach at Duke

5. Likes:

Chip R (01-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Jim Spanarkel... played so long ago Coach K wasn't the head coach at Duke
    Yep, he was the point guard on the Duke team that lost to Kentucky in the NCAA finals in 1978. IIRC, Bill Foster was the Duke HC of that team.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 01-10-2022 at 11:16 AM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

7. Likes:

Roy Tucker (01-10-2022),westofyou (01-10-2022)

I heard Sadak doing an NFL game this year on westwood one (I think) seems like it was a Sunday or Monday night game.
    I though Spanarkle was a big guy, didnt think he was a point guard. Of course I was 9 years old in '78 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollcat View Post
    I heard Sadak doing an NFL game this year on westwood one (I think) seems like it was a Sunday or Monday night game.
    I though Spanarkle was a big guy, didnt think he was a point guard. Of course I was 9 years old in '78 too.
    Mike Gminski was the big man on that Duke team.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

10. Likes:

Chip R (01-14-2022)

I like John Sadak's voice and enthusiasm - except when he tries WAY TOO HARD to pronounce spanish words w/ a spanish accent. Does this drive anyone else crazy?

Barry Larkin complimented him on it one time, now it never ends. He butchers it. I have to turn on the radio feed when watching the game if he's announcing. (I would anyway, but I like hearing the ball and bat.)

In my opinion one major requirement for baseball play by play announcers should be for them to actually like baseball.
    It seems John Sadak likes baseball.

13. Likes:

goreds2 (01-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    In my opinion one major requirement for baseball play by play announcers should be for them to actually like baseball.
    It seems John Sadak likes baseball.
    Can you imagine doing it if you didnt? Lol that would be miserable. It takes a certain kind of person who can adjust to the pace.

Quote Originally Posted by DayGameRedLegs View Post
    I like John Sadak's voice and enthusiasm - except when he tries WAY TOO HARD to pronounce spanish words w/ a spanish accent. Does this drive anyone else crazy?
    Yes, I agree, that's annoying.
    As odd as it might sound, Sadak will probably be less annoying in 2022, when the team is not a contender and the grind sets in.
    I think that will mellow him out, which honestly, he needs to do.
    Towards the last part of the 2021, he was much less "over the top" , which was nice.. Fewer cases of "AND SUAREZ ABSOLUTELY CRUSHED THAT BALL.. but it's foul"
    Another thing that bugged me, when the Reds were behind 2 or 3 runs, getting late in the game, Reds get one man on.. Sadak turns into a 9 year old kid.. "The Reds are going to win this one!!!!"
    At least wait until the tying run is in scoring position, and save the celebration for when they actually take the lead..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

sadak is a good fit for the reds imo. we have to remember we're not the yankees, so we're not going to get the top-shelf announcers. we were fortunate to have some legends over the years like marty, but those days are likely over. so, i think sadak is perfectly fine in his role with the reds. he's likeable. he likes the sport. and he's tried to immerse himself with reds country. all good things.

every announcer is going to do annoying things, and as has been pointed out by DayGame and by REDREAD, by far the two most annoying things he does imo is over-pronounce hispanic names, and thinks every fly ball has a chance of being a home run. he tones that stuff down, he will be very good.

i don't mind the pop culture references. i mean, he is definitely over-the-top in that area so i understand how it bothers some of you guys, but i'm good with it.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (01-19-2022)

Especially on Fridays and Saturdays, we turn down the sound and listen to our music on SiriusXM. Ok ok and having some beverages to go with it. We don’t need someone to tell us what is happening in the game.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

The over pronouncing Hispanic names was one of Thom's annoying traits, so I think some still have PTSD from that.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

20. Likes:

Chip R (01-19-2022)

Turn Off Ads?