Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: John Sadak

Re: John Sadak

Quote Originally Posted by wally post View Post
    I grew up with Waite Hoyt in my radio under my pillow. Lived in LA for a few years for work and Vin Scully is the best I've ever heard/enjoyed. I currently love the MEts broadcasting team with Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez adding information as well as colorful humor - with Gary Cohen's hand on the wheel. Gary Cohen is awesome in this role because he informs and attacks and then Keith and Ron react.

It takes a team. So far Sadac is not allowing the space. For me, the best moments in baseball lie within the anticipation. If someone is rattling freaking TV shows or whatever nonsense the moment is lost.
    I agree. The NY Mets broadcast team is excellent and Sadak comes across as overindulgent, but I think he’ll tone down as he matures into the Reds TV guy.
    May the Lord bless

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sadak referred to Mahle’s start last night as “a great home start” lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

4. Likes:

malcontent (07-17-2021),REDREAD (07-17-2021),RedTeamGo! (07-17-2021)

Thom sucked and I’m glad he’s gone.

With that said: I think I’m ready to say Sadak also sucks. He’s just a flat out propaganda man for the Reds FO and isn’t even good calling a game.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

Huntman (07-17-2021),KronoRed (07-17-2021),Powder River (07-18-2021),RollyInRaleigh (07-20-2021),Wonderful Monds (07-17-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Thom sucked and I’m glad he’s gone.

With that said: I think I’m ready to say Sadak also sucks. He’s just a flat out propaganda man for the Reds FO and isn’t even good calling a game.
    He’s got absolutely zero feel for the flow of the game, and it’s wild that he’s still worse than the average Cubs fan at judging fly balls.

8. Likes:

RollyInRaleigh (07-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    He’s got absolutely zero feel for the flow of the game, and it’s wild that he’s still worse than the average Cubs fan at judging fly balls.
    He’s like the epitome of a radio/tv personality getting his job simply because of his voice. It’s kind of amazing, honestly. I really would like to see who else auditioned.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

10. Likes:

RollyInRaleigh (07-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Puig Your Red View Post
    Sadak referred to Mahle’s start last night as “a great home start” lol
    He’s “turned the corner” so many times he’s rounded the block 3 times.

Sadek needs to take the tapes home and work on his game this off season, he needs to allow more space in his broadcasts, tone down the hyperbole, endless pop culture touch points and let the game drive the bus. He's the tour guide not the show, he will have to work on this or I don't see him as long time fit, I think the fanbase as a whole was done with Thom for a lot of good reasons, I also think that listeners want a guy announcing like he's at your table at a restaurant and you're having an enlightened conversation. As of now I picture Sadek's wife patting him on the knee under the table telling him to tone it down a bit.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-19-2021),919191 (07-19-2021),cumberlandreds (07-17-2021),Flyer Guy (07-18-2021),JFLegal (07-17-2021),Mitri (07-17-2021),reds44 (07-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Sadek needs to take the tapes home and work on his game this off season, he needs to allow more space in his broadcasts, tone down the hyperbole, endless pop culture touch points and let the game drive the bus. He's the tour guide not the show, he will have to work on this or I don't see him as long time fit, I think the fanbase as a whole was done with Thom for a lot of good reasons, I also think that listeners want a guy announcing like he's at your table at a restaurant and you're having an enlightened conversation. As of now I picture Sadek's wife patting him on the knee under the table telling him to tone it down a bit.
    The thing that concerns me is that he has called baseball before this season. This may just be what he is.

He’s definitely a breath of fresh air, but he still has too many cringe moments in a game. For instance last night the way he called Shogo’s jump when he was caught stealing made you think he’d be in there standing up. Let the game come to you (him), instead of trying to be the cool guy one step ahead.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (07-17-2021),Revering4Blue (07-17-2021)

Haunted by walks

A decade of games like last night and he’ll be as jaded as the rest of us.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (07-17-2021),wally post (07-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The thing that concerns me is that he has called baseball before this season. This may just be what he is.

He’s definitely a breath of fresh air, but he still has too many cringe moments in a game. For instance last night the way he called Shogo’s jump when he was caught stealing made you think he’d be in there standing up. Let the game come to you (him), instead of trying to be the cool guy one step ahead.
    It seems like every time a Reds outfielder throws to a base to try to nab a runner, he makes it sound like it’s going to be a close play, even if the runner is there standing up and the throw isn’t anywhere near the bag.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (07-18-2021),wally post (07-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    A decade of games like last night and he’ll be as jaded as the rest of us.
    Sadak has a tendency to start topics Lark and Welsh don’t expect. Kind of like Thom, without the venom.

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (07-18-2021),wally post (07-19-2021)

I don’t miss Thom Brenneman a bit. I am thankful we have someone new. Having said that, the more I hear Sadak the less I like his schtick. I pine for someone who might actually talk about the game on hand and give some insight (or artfully initiate discussion from his color guys) to strategy and nuance. Entire at bats go by and the guy is talking about his meal last night.

OTOH, I’ve been listening to the radio feed a lot more this year and I really enjoy Tommy Thrall. He calls a good game, is insightful and is really good at bringing in the Cowboy for deeper discussion about what’s happening on the field. He has a good voice too. He seems to really love the game of baseball and when necessary can add some levity to keep things moving without being over the top silly.

23. Likes:

Chip R (07-19-2021),cumberlandreds (07-18-2021),Huntman (07-20-2021),Larkin Fan (07-19-2021),Ron Madden (07-18-2021),wally post (07-19-2021),westofyou (07-18-2021)

When I hit Watch Live on MLB TV this weekend it popped up with the Brewers Bally Sports crew. Really enjoyed their crew. Sadak I wanted to give the benefit of the doubt as I've posted about earlier in this thread with calling games from studio, etc but he really doesn't have a feel for baseball. Friday night's Castellanos fly ball in the first you would have thought it was out and the LF even came in to catch it.

Thrall and Brantley are really good though, the problem with the 700 overlay on MLB TV is the radio feed is about a second ahead of the video and it's just off enough to be annoying.

25. Likes:

mgbrown66 (07-20-2021),wlf WV (07-20-2021)

Hate to admit it, but I too enjoy the Brewers broadcasting.
    May the Lord bless

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    Hate to admit it, but I too enjoy the Brewers broadcasting.
    Brewers TV crew is not bad, I like Ueker in the radio booth too and will occasionally listen to their games that don't involve the Reds

28. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-19-2021)

Turn Off Ads?