Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds Minor League Game Thread for Thursday, June 17, 2021

Reds Minor League Game Thread for Thursday, June 17, 2021

Louisville - 8:05 PM EDT - 13-24 - Louisville snapped its losing streak last night, and they have the right man on the mound to start a winning tonight. Hunter Greene (0.00) will be making his first AAA start, after dispatching of AA in rapid order. They aren't breaking Hunter in slowly, as he will be facing an Omaha team, at home, that leads the league with a lofty .859 OPS. The Storm Chasers are averaging ove 6 runs a game, and have cracked 17 more home runs than the second-leading league total with 75, or basically 2 a contest. The Storm Chasers' lineup includes the league's top two home-run hitters (Ryan McBroom, 12; Ryan O'Hearn, 11) and batting average leader (Edward Olivares, .370). Good luck, Hunter. Sink or swim. Hunter tried something different during Spring Training this year and he feels like it has paid dividents.
    “In Spring Training, in every bullpen [session] I threw, I put a stand-in hitter in just to see a batter in the box and what I wanted to execute in my pitches, I’m trying to bring that into the game.”
    Picture it: Some kid is just hanging around the park, and they tell him to grab a bat and stand in against a guy throwing triple digits. You can't beat fun at the old ballpark. While the Bats are out in Omaha, tomorrow night they will be showing Field of Dreams under the lights. Attachment 17366 Mike Moustakas has cut short his rehab stint, and is back in the Queen City being reevaluated.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Minor League Game Thread for Thursday, June 17, 2021

Chattanooga - 7:00 PM EDT - 22-15 - Chattanooga won their second straight last night, and have climbed to within a game of the lead, just behind Birmingham. Trivia: Which Reds player was once known as the Big Bopper from Birmingham? Nick Lodolo is on the injured list with blister issues on his left index finger. More Spider Tack please. It truly is up in the air tonight as to who might start for the Lookouts. Flip some coins. Or maybe make it a bullpen game. Last night's combined shutout was Chattanooga's third of the season, tying them for the league lead. The Lookouts' team ERA of 3.66 is good for second place. The pitching staff far and away leads the league in Ks with 411, which averages out to 11.1 a contest. Either you are hot or you are not with the stick over the last 7 days. Wilson Garcia (1.000), Chuckie Robinson (.967), Jose Barrero (.954) and Lorenzo Cedrola (.938) are hot. The rest are definitely not. Everyone else is below .670. The farm clubs went 5-0 on Wednesday to pull themselves up to a collective 2 games below .500 at 74-76.

Lee May!

Dayton - 7:05 PM EDT - 22-16 - The Dragons are hosting the TinCaps in the third of six, and will send Graham 'Bam Thank You, Ma'am (2.67) to the hill. It's Graham's world and we are just visiting. The native of Athens, Alabama is pitching like a Greek God this season. The numbers stagger: In 33.2 innings he has struck out 48, while walking just 11. In two starts during the month of June, opposing hitters have hit just .095 against Ashcraft, who has yet to allow a ball to leave the park in '21. His ERA in 2019 at Greeneville was a deceptive 4.53, but 10 of those runs came in one start which skewed those figures. Take that out and it was a solid 2.96. He has not given up an earned run over his last 3 starts, covering 18 innings. Keep an eye on Graham. Carson Spiers, after winning Pitcher of the Week Honors last week, has been moved into the starting rotation. Spencer Stockton is being banished to the pen to work out some issues, like giving up too many runs. That's a big one. Miguel Hernandez has a 10-game hitting streak, batting .395 during the streak, raising his average from .232 to .283. Hernandez has five straight two-hit games, going 10 for 17 (.588) over those games. Andy Fisher over his last three appearances has tossed six scoreless innings, allowing just two hits with nine strikeouts. For those who cannot get enough Dragons baseball: One of the many new things you can find at Day Air Ballpark is the new Dayton Dragons app. This new app, available to download for free through the Apple App Store (iPhone) and Google Play Store (Android), provides easy access to fan amenities, information on your favorite Dragons events, team roster, in-game entertainment, and more. Learn more about the Dayton Dragons App at https://www.milb.com/dayton/ballpark/daytondragonsapp.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LARKIN View Post
    Lee May!
    We have a winner. Lee was a very underrated ballplayer. The 3-time All-Star hit 354 lifetime home runs.

6. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (06-17-2021)

Daytona - 7:05 PM EDT - 17-21 - The Tortugas are presently turning their season around, having won 3 consecutive ballgames for just the second time all year. The three-game streak is ties their season high. Both streaks have come against the Palm Beach Cardinals. Nice. Jose Franco (9.58) draws his second starting assignment for Daytona. Franco pitched well in the DSL in 2019 with a 2.20 ERA. So far stateside, he has been cuffed around each time he has been in the game. I looked around for a positive stat for Franco, and all that I was able to come up with was the fact that he is a relative youngster at just 20 years of age. Oh, and he is from the same hometown as Davey Concepcion. Patience, Grasshopper! Last night it was mentioned that Daniel Vellojin has been hitting well for the second year in a row. That is true enough. But here's a little-known factoid: Vellojin has thrown out a eye-opening 70% of the would-be base thieves that have the temerity to test his arm. Yadier Molina might want to text him for tips. Over the course of 162.1 innings behind the dish, Daniel has yet to be charged with a passed ball. That bodes well. Daytona's walk-off win during the completion of the suspended game, was their first of the season.

Chattanooga - Runs aplenty for the Lookouts early. They lead 6-2 as play is in the bottom of the third. Dylan Baker is on the hill for 'Nooga. He has been pitching in Indy ball since 2018. Lorenzo Cedrola has the game's biggest hit with a 3-run shot (3). Chuckie Robinson has 2 singles.

Louisville - Greene comes out firing, first two pitches are 98 and 97. And now he just hit 101. Another two pitches at 101. Suffice it to say, he is pumping it in there. First batter of the game strikes out. Welcome to AAA, second batter leaves the park. Short leftfield porch, wind blowing out. Another K on 101.

UPDATE: Another home run. Greene has hit 103 with a 90 MPH changeup. Another home run. 3-0.

Louisville says 2 of the 3 would not have left the park under normal conditions.

Omaha has hit 17 homers in their last 3 full games plus one inning.

3 strikeouts for Greene in the first, to go along with 3 solo shots.
    Last edited by texasdave; 06-17-2021 at 08:24 PM.

Dayton - Dragons are leading 2-0. Ashcraft is pitching scoreless baseball in the 5th. 6 Ks so far.

Technically Hunter struck out the side in his first AAA inning! Just ignore the 3 HRs in between.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Daytona - The Tortugas and the Ratbirds are going back and forth. Daytona leading 5-4 after just 3 innings.

Jose Franco is getting blistered again. ERA up over 10 now.

Austin Hendrick gets his first home run on the year, a two-run shot.
    Leonardo Seminati with a two-run shot (2).

UPDATE: 4 walks, a hit batsman and a home run in the inning. 'Tugas now lead 6-4 with the bases loaded and two away.
    Last edited by texasdave; 06-17-2021 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Technically Hunter struck out the side in his first AAA inning! Just ignore the 3 HRs in between.
    Given the howling winds and the lol short distances down the lines, I am going to.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

17. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Given the howling winds and the lol short distances down the lines, I am going to.
    Omaha is also a former AAA Pacific team moved over because of the reorganization, most pitchers dealing with that league and those teams run into trouble.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?