Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reds Minor League Game Thread for Thursday, June 17, 2021

Re: Reds Minor League Game Thread for Thursday, June 17, 2021

Louisville Recap - Louisville makes it close with a 2-run Mark Payton shot in the 9th, but come up a run short 6-5.

Hunter Greene's night has been recapped already. In a nutshell, 4 solo shots, 1 walk, 8 Ks.
    Phillip Diehl struck out 3 in his scoreless inning of relief.
    Edgar Garcia struck out 2 in his scoreless inning of relief.

Alejo Lopez doubled and got hit by a piitch.
    Mark Payton homered for the second game in a row (2).
    Dwight Smith, Jr. singled and doubled.
    Beau Taylor doubled twice, walked and hit a sac fly.
    Brantley Bell singled, was hit by a pitch and stole a base (3)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Louisville - struck out 11 times.
    Chattanooga - struck out 13 times.
    Dayton - struck out 11 times.
    Daytona - struck out 16 times.

Danny Lantigua wore the platinum sombrero. 5 ABs, 5 Ks.

Are we having fun yet?
    Last edited by texasdave; 06-17-2021 at 11:12 PM.

Daytona Recap - The Tortugas go down without a fight in the 9th, losing 11-10.

We will not embarrass the pitchers, so, let's head directly to the hitters.

Ivan Johnson singled, walked 3 times, stole a base (3) and drove in 3 runs.
    Austin Hendrick walked and homered (1) and was hit by a pitch.
    Steven Leyton doubled and was hit by a pitch.
    Leonardo Seminati singled, homered (2), walked and drove in 3 runs.
    Wilfred Astudillo singled and walked.
    Rafael Franco walked 3 times.
    Gus Steiger singled and walked twice.

I understand this is his first AAA start, and I'm a big fan of Greene and think he still profiles as a very good starter in the bigs, but there are certainly some persistent issues.

In a way, he feels like a spring training veteran rounding into shape where you try not worry too much. The totality of his performance is a positive, but you have to try to overlook some of the negatives. You keep thinking he'll sand off the rough edges and dominate, but some of these issues keep cropping up.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I understand this is his first AAA start, and I'm a big fan of Greene and think he still profiles as a very good starter in the bigs, but there are certainly some persistent issues.

In a way, he feels like a spring training veteran rounding into shape where you try not worry too much. The totality of his performance is a positive, but you have to try to overlook some of the negatives. You keep thinking he'll sand off the rough edges and dominate, but some of these issues keep cropping up.
    He's 21 years old and has thrown less than 120 innings in pro baseball. With one serious injury. Patience.

Plus he was certainly dominating before tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post

What are these "issues" that keep cropping up?
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Had a couple sodas last night before typing that, so take it all with a grain of salt, but it feels like he can get hit hard, including home runs. However, when you look up his stats, his HR/9, HR/FB and H/9 are all actually pretty good. So, it's probably more just my perception than anything. I know when he first arrived there was talk his fastball was flat and hittable, and I think that kinda sits in the back of my head.

Despite my drunken concerns, I remain really excited about Greene. He's developed better than I expected (even with the injury) and looks like he might be ready to step into the 2022 rotation (if not the 2021 bullpen). More importantly, he looks like a front of rotation guy. Throw in the maturity, and he feels like a top 25 prospect in baseball.

Okay, I've now talked myself out of my concerns.

9. Likes:

Mitri (06-19-2021),Tom Servo (06-18-2021)

Turn Off Ads?