Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334 LastLast

Thread: 6-17-21 Reds @ Padres 8:40pm

Re: 6-17-21 Reds @ Padres 8:40pm

Usually its the Bengals who score late only to lose it on the other team's last drive.

I can't rail on the bullpen, they have carried a heavy load well during this streak. Padres came back just like we did. They get credit. But, in a 9th, get the first out, the inning often goes your way.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Likes:

forfreelin04 (06-18-2021),goreds2 (06-18-2021),Ron Madden (06-18-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by coryfly View Post
    I just don't like what Bell says after games like this with all the 'it was fun to be a part of' and 'it was really something special for our team' talk. No, losing sucks.
    No manager goes out and talks about how depressed they are and how everything sucks, if you did that you're probably out of a job quick.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-18-2021),traderumor (06-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    No manager goes out and talks about how depressed they are and how everything sucks, if you did that you're probably out of a job quick.
    David Bell: "Hello members of the press. I'm depressed about tonight. Everything sucks. I hate Ryan Hendrix, he better hope I don't find him after this press conference. I love double switches. I will keep Shogo on the bench forever if I have my druthers. Bell out."

*drops mic even though it's connected to table*

7. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama Red View Post
    Our bullpen gave up two in and inning and they’ve proven they can’t get it done. Try somebody else.
    I think the Reds have done well this season trying someone else, and it is getting better. I think Bell made the right moves tonight. According to Brantley he had prepared Hendrix to come in late by warming him up late the game before to try to get him eased in a bit to feeling the late game jitters. He came into an ideal situation with team momentum, a 2 run lead and needing 3 outs and having to face at least 3 batters. Elementary to not walk the insurance run on to bring up the tying run. Doesn't mean you shouldn't give him the chance or another chance.

Impressed that Bell did not do a double switch when he changed pitchers to keep his options on pinch hitters and runners open as he saw the 9th develop. In my mind the move most up to question was not taking Miley out after the first batter got on in the 8th. Pu-- do you want tting up the switch hitting Profar made it even tougher -- do you want 100 pitch Miley to go lefty on righty, or Warren to go right on lefty. It worked out good even though Profar got a hit to put 2 on and no out.

Anytime you you have won 6 in a row and 8 in a row on the road, your bullpen, even more than the top 3 or 4, have to have been doing well, which they were, something like only 5 walks in 20 innings. But it doesn't go on forever and walking the lead-off hitter in the 9th with a 2 run lead is a prime way to begin to burst the bubble!

9. Likes:

goreds2 (06-18-2021),Ron Madden (06-18-2021)

At this point, I’d never use Garrett unless to mop up, but the bullpen was hurting because of over use. I really don’t like hoe Bell and the pitching coach make decisions. That’s just me, but I would have never chosen The two he picked. Of course, it doesn’t matter what I think, and no, I don’t know who I would have picked.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

All the domestic trolls will be back in the morning.

12. Likes:

forfreelin04 (06-18-2021),RedsfaninMT (06-18-2021)

The starters have been going deeper into games and up until the last 3 games the offense had made the games easy to close out. 2 run lead after your team scores 4 runs in the top of the ninth and you walk the first hitter. Hendrix just was not ready for the challenge. Even if Antone is not available he probably just uses Sims next time. Maybe he can throw sidearm and saves his arm wear.

aww we were due for a loss get em tom.

15. Likes:

forfreelin04 (06-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    At this point, I’d never use Garrett unless to mop up, but the bullpen was hurting because of over use. I really don’t like hoe Bell and the pitching coach make decisions. That’s just me, but I would have never chosen The two he picked. Of course, it doesn’t matter what I think, and no, I don’t know who I would have picked.
    Yeah, I don't see how you can continue to put Garrett in the game in the ninth inning. This is another game Bell lost us. Simple as that. Anyone can see Garrett needs to never be in the ninth inning to close a ballgame. I don't get how people are accepting this game so easily. That is a game you got to win if you want to make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisyear View Post
    Yeah, I don't see how you can continue to put Garrett in the game in the ninth inning. This is another game Bell lost us. Simple as that. Anyone can see Garrett needs to never be in the ninth inning to close a ballgame. I don't get how people are accepting this game so easily. That is a game you got to win if you want to make the playoffs.
    Meh, management should have given him more major league caliber options to go with in situations like that. There was literally nobody better down there who could pitch today.

It's a sucky loss, but every team is going to come back sometimes and blow leads sometimes. Yeah they need to win games like this more than not, but you can't get to hung up over every game in a 162 game season.

To me, it depends on how the rest of the series plays out. I'd like to see 2 wins in SD. A sweep, and I am right there with you.

Wow! Good thing I went to sleep. Reds bullpen back again

Just like we got the job done against their best reliever, they got the job done against our mediocre relievers. Why must some always blame the play of the game on the incompetence of the players? They hit two clutch home runs, accept it and move on.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

20. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Just like we got the job done against their best reliever, they got the job done against our mediocre relievers. Why must some always blame the play of the game on the incompetence of the players? They hit two clutch home runs, accept it and move on.
    Exactly. Melancon (the NL saves leader) gave up 4 in just 2/3 of an inning to the Reds and his ERA this morning jumped to a staggering 1.86.

We had two rookies come thru in dramatic clutch situations against the NL saves leader. And what about Mr. Art Warren bridging that 8th with 2 on?

I’d much rather lose kicking and screaming than us fold and lose 2-0.

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-18-2021),traderumor (06-18-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

When their best beats your best, you congratulate your opponent and either quit or go get better so that your best exceeds their best. In the case of the Reds, that means getting better bullpen guys.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

What a great game to watch from start to finish.

An instant classic.

-Basically an Opening Day crowd because of the 100% capacity. Big fanfare at the beginning of the game.
    -Both starters who had no hitters this year who were dealing.
    -Tatis and Machado showing why their future HOF's. Hitting bombs in a tight game.
    -Our rookies coming up huge. That Tyler Stephenson at bat may be the greatest at bat I've ever seen considering the circumstances. India's homer was a mark out moment for me, and I'm sure for many.
    -Credit the Pads for coming back. That's a WS caliber team and one we may see again in October. I love the fact the Reds got the experience of what that is like in a playoff atmosphere. Hendrix and maybe even AG will be better off because of it. IMO, driven people grow more from failure sometimes than success.

Final thoughts:
    I was cringing at Brian Gheisnslaugnjefjhdsh or whatever the hell is last name is who was trying to set a typical cable news narrative about how the Reds could fall of a cliff in depression now cause of the loss. You could tell Sam wanted to wring his neck. "Go back to Dallas Brian! And bring back Dan Hoard!"

Yes, our bullpen blew it, but the Garrett pitch was not a bad one at all. His problem was he kept throwing his terrible pick off move before the last pitch.
    A big play that will go unnoticed was a mental brain-fart by Votto allowing the runner to get to second by not holding him on. With nobody out, the double play needs to stay in order. If the Reds are up 3-4 runs I get it, but not down by 2. Not sure what he was thinking about.

Again, I loved the game. I won't ever forget it. Would have loved to see them win it, but considering the traveling, the strange start time, and the fact the Pads are legit...I am at peace with it. lol

Turn Off Ads?