Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Garrett has got to go

Re: Garrett has got to go

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    He was horrible and also had a mental mistake with the balk.
    He had that look like "I'ma bout to tear up NYC tonight......perhaps that was his focus issue.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?

I was looking at the first page on accident. My bad.

4. Likes:

DocRed (08-02-2021)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Nowhere near as high on him as I was 2 years ago, but he’s still too talented to drop.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

6. Likes:

DocRed (08-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    This is pretty reasonable but "he'd be his usual average-ish self if not for the times where he was crazy bad" isn't really a great defense for the guy. He was already a small problem when he was just average and prone to late season swoons, now he's a huge liability.
    It’s not really a defense, just explaining how his season has unfolded. His numbers have been trending toward his norms for a while now. He hasn’t been a huge liability for almost two months. The whole Garrett is a 6+ ERA arm that keeps getting referenced is as equally as bad as calling Naquin a league average bat, even those his numbers are massively propped up by his first week, and people acting like he would nab a prospect from a contender at the deadline. Or saying Castillo is a mid 4 era pitcher going forward because he had a really rough stretch, even though he has shown himself to be back to his usual form.

Garrett is just the new RZ punching bag.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

8. Likes:

DocRed (08-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Guess it’s time to start discussing when is a good time to bring up Lodolo
    Not this year. He doesn’t need to be protected yet so no point rushing.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (08-01-2021),Tom Servo (07-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Yeah, he should be gone like Votto needs to be gone, like Miley needs to be gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I seriously don't get the Amir hate...other than to make your original post look smart. I trust him way more than Doolittle and Wilson as a LHP option out of the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I seriously don't get the Amir hate...other than to make your original post look smart. I trust him way more than Doolittle and Wilson as a LHP option out of the pen.
    Have him between the two
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 08-02-2021 at 08:28 PM.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    He had that look like "I'ma bout to tear up NYC tonight......perhaps that was his focus issue.
    wut
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

14. Likes:

reds44 (08-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    It’s august 3rd and he has a 6.68 ERA and 1.64 WHIP. Over the last 28 days, he has a 5.40 ERA and 1.80 WHIP. Over the last week he has a 5.40 ERA and 3 WHIP. He has a career 5.13 ERA.

The best move of Amir’s career was fighting the Pirates team because apparently it got him a lifetime pass with Reds fans. I can’t think of another reds player who was so loved despite 4 months of absolute ass and a nearly 5 year career of positing an ERA+ of 89.

He’s bad.
    Last edited by reds44; 08-03-2021 at 08:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

16. Likes:

AG Slater (08-03-2021),m21eagle45 (08-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Puig Your Red View Post
    It’s august 3rd and he has a 6.68 ERA and 1.64 WHIP. Over the last 28 days, he has a 5.40 ERA and 1.80 WHIP. Over the last week he has a 5.40 ERA and 3 WHIP. He has a career 5.13 ERA.

The best move of Amir’s career was fighting the Pirates team because apparently it got him a lifetime pass with Reds fans. I can’t think of another reds player who was so loved despite 4 months of absolute ass and a nearly 5 year career of positing an ERA+ of 89.

He’s bad.
    He also has a 0.31 FIP and a 1.38 xFIP over the last 28 days. 18.9 K/9, 4.05 BB/9, 0/00 HR/9 over that span to go with a .600 BABIP. He has a whole 1.2 IP over the past week in which he gave up a run in mop-up duty, I am not sure why you are trying to portray relevancy in those numbers.

His career numbers as a reliever 11.6 K/9, 4.7 BB/9, 4.33 FIP, 3.73 xFIP. He has distinct splits against LHB and RHB, pitching much better against LHB.

Amir is a solid (not great) left handed reliever who should be used situationally against opponents good left handed hitters. He can rack up the K's but has a propensity to give up hard contact when he gives up contact. The Reds tried to turn him into something he wasn't, a guy that can get lefties and righties out at the end of ball games and he predictably got shelled. Even still, his xERA is a respectable 4.25 on the season.

DocRed is right, it sure seems like there is an unreasonable hatred towards Amir lately, and then any time someone says "woah, I trust him more than Doolittle, Hendrix, Garcia, or some other bullpen bum we have had" it is because Amir gets a free pass and is absolutely beloved by Reds fans. It seems like he is the scapegoat for ownerships inability to furnish the bullpen with actual arms to start the season, which forced him into a role that all of his historical numbers said he was not fit for.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

18. Likes:

757690 (08-03-2021),mth123 (08-03-2021)

There is no unreasonable hatred, at least not from me. He’s just bad.

Also if there is any “unreasonable hatred” it’s because on top of being bad he acts like an idiot on the mound.

The New York comment earlier from the one poster was just weird, I’ll give you that lol
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

20. Likes:

WildcatFan (08-03-2021)

Defending a LOOGY with average career stats as a reliever in a league with a 3 batter minimum just seems odd to me. We sit here and hope Amir can maybe be an average reliever again while he has a horrific season? It’s a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    He also has a 0.31 FIP and a 1.38 xFIP over the last 28 days. 18.9 K/9, 4.05 BB/9, 0/00 HR/9 over that span to go with a .600 BABIP. He has a whole 1.2 IP over the past week in which he gave up a run in mop-up duty, I am not sure why you are trying to portray relevancy in those numbers.

His career numbers as a reliever 11.6 K/9, 4.7 BB/9, 4.33 FIP, 3.73 xFIP. He has distinct splits against LHB and RHB, pitching much better against LHB.

Amir is a solid (not great) left handed reliever who should be used situationally against opponents good left handed hitters. He can rack up the K's but has a propensity to give up hard contact when he gives up contact. The Reds tried to turn him into something he wasn't, a guy that can get lefties and righties out at the end of ball games and he predictably got shelled. Even still, his xERA is a respectable 4.25 on the season.

DocRed is right, it sure seems like there is an unreasonable hatred towards Amir lately, and then any time someone says "woah, I trust him more than Doolittle, Hendrix, Garcia, or some other bullpen bum we have had" it is because Amir gets a free pass and is absolutely beloved by Reds fans. It seems like he is the scapegoat for ownerships inability to furnish the bullpen with actual arms to start the season, which forced him into a role that all of his historical numbers said he was not fit for.
    I am actually the opposite...why are people squinting to see the good in a 6+ ERA season from a reliever? I mean, you are talking about 6 innings. Yeah, when you take out the stretches where he is really bad, and choose arbitrary stretches where he is ok, he isn't too bad. But that's not how it works.

I actually do think that Amir is a cool and even likable player, but when you are giving up 2 runs for every 3 innings, it's no surprise that nobody wants you pitching for their team.

23. Likes:

reds44 (08-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Puig Your Red View Post
    There is no unreasonable hatred, at least not from me. He’s just bad.

Also if there is any “unreasonable hatred” it’s because on top of being bad he acts like an idiot on the mound.

The New York comment earlier from the one poster was just weird, I’ll give you that lol
    He has been a quality performer for the last two months now. He was absolutely terrible for the first two months. So terrible, his season line is still terrible. But what is done is done, the question that matters now is whether or not Garrett is a better option than other guys in the bullpen right now, I would say yes he is a better option than Doolittle. He very well may not make the cut when Sims and Antone come back.

It just seems to me like throwing out numbers which include him being used as a starter his rookie year (he is a career 100 ERA+ as a reliever, perfectly average) and ignoring the fact he is going on two months of above average numbers (not 4 whole months of being absolute ass) now which coincides with Bell/Johnson giving him a week off after some mighty struggles, is a disingenuous attempt to paint his performance worse than it is.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 08-03-2021 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    I am actually the opposite...why are people squinting to see the good in a 6+ ERA season from a reliever? I mean, you are talking about 6 innings. Yeah, when you take out the stretches where he is really bad, and choose arbitrary stretches where he is ok, he isn't too bad. But that's not how it works.

I actually do think that Amir is a cool and even likable player, but when you are giving up 2 runs for every 3 innings, it's no surprise that nobody wants you pitching for their team.
    I was just using the arbitrary stretches used by the OP. Honest question, do you think Amir is a 6+ ERA guy going forward the rest of the season?

Turn Off Ads?