Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrett has got to go

Re: Garrett has got to go

Tim Adelman will post an ERA of less than 9. I feel like I can say that with a pretty high level of confidence.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan9988 View Post
    Tim Adelman will post an ERA of less than 9. I feel like I can say that with a pretty high level of confidence.
    The question is from here to the end of the year can he post an ERA less than Garrett. I don't think so.
    Last edited by mth123; 06-18-2021 at 07:18 PM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Really, bottom line is we’re all aggravated by the lack of commitment of the FO to obtaining competitive pieces needed for this team . I know I am.
    May the Lord bless

5. Likes:

mth123 (06-18-2021),REDREAD (06-20-2021),Revering4Blue (06-18-2021),Roy Tucker (06-19-2021),zigbeenuthouse (06-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    Really, bottom line is we’re all aggravated by the lack of commitment of the FO to obtaining competitive pieces needed for this team . I know I am.
    If the team wins they have to pay them more. Not good business.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

7. Likes:

REDREAD (06-20-2021)

Last night is why you don't dump Garrett. He has a place on the worst bullpen in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Last night is why you don't dump Garrett. He has a place on the worst bullpen in baseball.
    Yet every single one of them pitched better than he did the night before and has all season. He just isn't good. To say other people suck so he should have a spot is not a good argument. It is an argument to dump more of this bullpen.

The Reds have to restructure their bullpen. Whether they cut this guy or that guy (from the underperforming group) is not that consequential. If they are short on lefties, keeping AG in a limited role might make sense. OTOH, they may not need him depending on what else they do.

He’s never been consistent but sometimes does get into a groove and can be effective.

I don’t see retaining (or cutting) Garrett as a major big deal because the problem goes beyond removing one pitcher.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-19-2021 at 10:55 AM.

Bat Flippin’ Awesome Puig Your Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Up until this season, as a reliever, Garrett has been a solid middle reliever. 3.60 ERA, 4.05 FIP.

He fell of a cliff, waaaaay off the cliff this season.

The question is if these 19 innings are who he is now and going forward, or an anomaly. But he’s had been a very reliable reliever up until now, so if this season is an anomaly, he should bounce back to being a decent reliever again.
    isn't this kind of part of the point though? even at his best he was a league average reliever. why are we giving him this much rope when his upside is average or slightly above average? what's the upside here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

12. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (06-19-2021),RiverRat13 (06-19-2021),Tom Servo (06-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Up until this season, as a reliever, Garrett has been a solid middle reliever. 3.60 ERA, 4.05 FIP.

He fell of a cliff, waaaaay off the cliff this season.

The question is if these 19 innings are who he is now and going forward, or an anomaly. But he’s had been a very reliable reliever up until now, so if this season is an anomaly, he should bounce back to being a decent reliever again.
    Exactly. If we do something stupid like DFA him someone will pick him up in a heartbeat and I could see him pitching very well for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Puig Your Red View Post
    isn't this kind of part of the point though? even at his best he was a league average reliever. why are we giving him this much rope when his upside is average or slightly above average? what's the upside here?
    His upside would make him the second best reliever in this Reds pen.
    That’s why we’re playing, bro

I think his stuff is overrated and very hittable. With launch angle baseball he has a propensity to get teed off on in the zone, and stuff not good enough to out of zone swings.

I think he’s unlikely to get back to his “peak” and home run problems are not new for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes:

RiverRat13 (06-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Puig Your Red View Post
    Because we've got like 4-5 guys in the pen right now that haven't been league average for several years.
    Last edited by DocRed; 06-19-2021 at 01:00 PM.

Exactly. If we do something stupid like DFA him someone will pick him up in a heartbeat and I could see him pitching very well for them.
    I agree. Why should we DFA him,so he can be successful for another team, when we can keep him and he can blow games for us?

19. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (06-19-2021),RedTeamGo! (06-19-2021)

I thought he was getting better. He had reined in his emotions and was pitching with more control and focus. I think when his emotions get the better of him, he gets lit up.

Then a second string catcher with 2 lifetime home runs batting LH golfs a low and inside fastball out. Who does that? If it was anyone besides Garrett, we’d shrug our shoulders and say stuff happens.

If the Reds had better options, I’d send him down to AAA. But they don’t. They really don’t without going outside the organization. So unless the Reds fortify the bullpen, Bell will have to pitch him where he can do the least damage.
    True Yodas are never young.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (06-20-2021)

Why would anyone pick Garrett up in a heartbeat? He’s the worst reliever in baseball.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?