Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrett has got to go

Re: Garrett has got to go

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    That was the year he had a nearly 8 ERA as a starter, he actually needed that stint in Louisville
    https://www.redlegnation.com/2017/05...arrett-to-aaa/

Raise your hand if you saw this coming. Service time, I guess. Although they can’t admit that. Will be interesting to see what they say. Something like: “We thought he would benefit from working on a few things down there” or some such malarky. Garrett has given up more than two runs one time in six games. He’s Clayton Kershaw on this staff.
    If this demotion is purely driven by service time – and that’s almost certainly the case – it’s a brutally surgical move by the organization. One that’s looking at the long term, not today’s standings. And that’s a good thing.
    Last edited by 757690; 06-20-2021 at 02:50 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Likes:

DocRed (06-20-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Maybe the coaching staff ie the pitching coach is the issue.
    If I didn't know Derek Johnson's history I might buy into that, but unless there have been major changes in recent years, I don't think he is the problem.

Lack of talent is the problem.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    If I didn't know Derek Johnson's history I might buy into that, but unless there have been major changes in recent years, I don't think he is the problem.

If he was a decent pitching coach, he could fix lack of talent, or at least make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    If he was a decent pitching coach, he could fix lack of talent, or at least make it better.
    There hasn’t been a pitching coach in the history of baseball who could fix lack of talent.

7. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (06-21-2021),CaiGuy (06-21-2021),Chip R (06-21-2021),GAC (06-21-2021),wlf WV (06-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'm not defending Garrett, but the Pirates probably also said "Who would pick up Feliz"?
    I would love to see some bullpen upgrades, Garrett has stunk this year, but we don't have the depth to dump him, unfortunately. I think he should be used in games we are behind until he strings some good performances together.. Unfortunately, the entire pen (save maybe 3 guys) should be in that role..
    Feliz had a 2.35 ERA with the Pirates this year.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Basically the only thing that is keeping him on the roster now is that he's left handed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

10. Likes:

HokieRed (06-21-2021),REDREAD (06-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Feliz had a 2.35 ERA with the Pirates this year.
    ERA is not a good way to evaluate relief pitchers, but if that's your metric of choice, he has a career ERA of 5.38
    He only pitched 7 innings with the Pirates this year to get that 2.35 ERA.
    Find another metric if you want to argue that he's good.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    ERA is not a good way to evaluate relief pitchers, but if that's your metric of choice, he has a career ERA of 5.38
    He only pitched 7 innings with the Pirates this year to get that 2.35 ERA.
    Find another metric if you want to argue that he's good.
    It’s not my metric, my point was he wasn’t the worst reliever in baseball when the Pirates DFA’d him, so saying the reds jumping on him is comparable to Garrett getting jumped on is a silly comparison.

I’m not arguing Feliz is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

Well, there has been a major change this year. No more cheating. Derek Johnson kinda seems like the low key poster child for teaching his pitchers to cheat. “SPINCINNATI”

Not sure why everyone is ignoring the “Spincinnati” stuff.

14. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-21-2021)

It’s not my metric, my point was he wasn’t the worst reliever in baseball when the Pirates DFA’d him, so saying the reds jumping on him is comparable to Garrett getting jumped on is a silly comparison.

I’m not arguing Feliz is good.
    I never said Feliz is the worst reliever in baseball.
    Someone said "No one would pick up Garrett"
    I said "The Pirates probably thought no one would pick up Feliz either".
    You responded with "Feliz had a 2.35 ERA with the Pirates this year." without any context.
    Seems like you were defending Feliz.
    I'm not going to argue if Garrett or Feliz is worse.. They both suck this year, it seems like a waste of time.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Well, there has been a major change this year. No more cheating. Derek Johnson kinda seems like the low key poster child for teaching his pitchers to cheat. “SPINCINNATI”

Not sure why everyone is ignoring the “Spincinnati” stuff.
    What exactly is being ignored?
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    What exactly is being ignored?
    That Derek Johnson was likely pushing reds pitchers to cheat to increase spin

I can assure you there is a lot more to Derek Johnson's abilities as a pitching coach than just "hey guys, use this goop and you'll be better".
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

19. Likes:

757690 (06-21-2021),Ron Madden (06-21-2021)

The Reds pen’s 5.66 ERA strongly suggest that Derek Johnson was not pushing Reds pitchers to cheat.

21. Likes:

Chip R (06-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I can assure you there is a lot more to Derek Johnson's abilities as a pitching coach than just "hey guys, use this goop and you'll be better".
    I dunno.

What, exactly, does Derek Johnson do to help pitchers?

Bauer won a Cy young here, he was blatantly cheating.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 06-21-2021 at 11:53 AM.

Turn Off Ads?