Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else at a breaking point with ownership?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Anyone else at a breaking point with ownership?

I’m sort of getting to that point, as goofy as it might sound to say this right now given how well they’ve played recently.

This team has like 80% of what you need to make a deep postseason run. They’ve got a good lineup, they’ve got depth when half the active roster doesn’t all hit the DL at once. They’ve got a competitive rotation.

The only thing missing is any semblance of a bullpen.

And that’s not even something that could be hard to put together at this point. As others have pointed out, relievers usually get traded around this time of year for PTBNL tier guys. The Reds usually are never in on these trades, with last year’s Archie Bradley trade being an exception.

There are any number of guys out there. Daniel Hudson probably wouldn’t take more than a B- prospect. I’ve thrown Mychael Givens name out there a few times, he only makes 1.3 million. All they would have to do is pay their contracts and they could be had for peanuts, and they can afford it.

So that’s what makes it all the more insulting that they booted Iglesias and non tendered Bradley, and then proceeded to stuff the 15 million dollar savings back in their pockets. They did jack to re-invest Bauer’s money after they left.

Even if you expect them to cut payroll after the covid season - which to be clear they absolutely did not have to do and could’ve weathered any losses perfectly fine (that was the entire point of cutting player’s salaries last year after all) - it’s not really acceptable in any manner to cut the payroll by 40 million dollars or somewhere in that ballpark if I’m not mistaken, and then just tell the fans tough luck.

I guess that’s why I’m getting to the point where if ownership doesn’t back this roster up, a team that has a couple MVP contenders on it and a lineup with depth to back them up, if they don’t put some of that money back into the team after 5 years of being a laughing stock and one barely .500 season - if they can’t spend like 5-6 million dollars to shore up the most easily filled black hole on this team, I think I might be done. I mean like, “go ahead and move the team because I refuse to support an organization that totally refuses to try to compete at all.”

We’re coming up on 20 something years of GABP, I wouldn’t be surprised if there are whispers about what’s going to replace it sometime in the next decade. And if I see a bunch of good relievers exchange hands for jabroni level prospects and the Reds don’t get in on it because they can’t unpinch their pennies, then I’ll do everything I can with my meager influence to vote against or otherwise do what I can to contribute to this team never getting another stadium in this city again. It’s time to put up or shut up with this ownership group. Just get it done.

2. Likes:

bm1475 (06-19-2021),CarolinaRedleg (06-19-2021),MrRedSkull (07-21-2021),REDREAD (06-18-2021),RedsLvr (06-18-2021),wlf WV (06-18-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone else at a breaking point with ownership?

Agreed. For the most part, this has been a miracle season.
    2 MVP candiates. 3 Rookies contributing a lot, when really only Stephenson was expected to.
    Starting rotation a lot more solid that I thought it would be (Miley really turned it around).
    Yet, our ownership couldn't be bothered to spend more than 3 million on the bullpen, which was
    wasted on Bedrosian and Dolittle.
    I said this in another thread.. but remember that expression.. "You don't pick the year to contend, it picks you"?
    Well, 2021 was probably our year. We're not out of it yet, but honestly, if the Reds had picked up one impact relief arm and 2 decent middle relievers, we probably lead the central now.

I was unemployed last fall, thank you former employer for laying me off during covid.. I ended up finding something local, but I was very close to moving to Dallas or Atlanta.. Funny, one thought I had was.. this will finally cure me of the curse of being a Reds' fan But nope, the curse lives on
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

5. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (06-19-2021),M2 (06-18-2021),Wonderful Monds (06-18-2021)

delete

According to BTV, we could have Daniel Hudson for Ivan Johnson and Mychal Givens for probably anyone out of the farm if we'd pay his contract, as you've said. Which is cheap.

We could build a serviceable rental bullpen and our farm wouldn't even notice the hit.

BTV also says we could get Scott Barlow from the Royals for the price of Nick Senzel...

8. Likes:

BillDoran (06-18-2021),REDREAD (06-18-2021),wally post (06-18-2021),Wonderful Monds (06-18-2021)

This team is still missing a lot, and is one mild losing streak away from everyone jumping back over to “sell”.

A month from now some big decisions are going to have to be made, and I assume the picture will be much clearer then.

10. Likes:

757690 (06-19-2021),BillDoran (06-18-2021),Falls City Beer (06-18-2021),RiverRat13 (06-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    This team is still missing a lot, and is one mild losing streak away from everyone jumping back over to “sell”.

A month from now some big decisions are going to have to be made, and I assume the picture will be much clearer then.
    Sadly, the only decision this team is going to make is "hold" or "Sell".
    Then this winter, Cast walks and Winker gets a huge arbitration award and the Reds claim they have to let more people go to pay for Winker... Meanwhile, the Cubs, Brewers, and Cards attempt to get better..
    What the team has done the last 2-3 weeks or so.. to pull within 3 games. They deserve ownership backing them up a bit.

Heck, at this point, I say go "all in".. Once Moose gets back, we have some extra players.. If ownership won't give Krall any money, trade India and/or Senzel or someone on the farm to get a reliever and have the other team eat the salary..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

12. Likes:

wlf WV (06-18-2021)

If you want to make up for the Covid loss money, have a winner. You can’t win a bet unless you place it.If the two rookies continue to pitch as they have and Gray comes back OK with a bullpen even without another short stop we’re contenders.
    May the Lord bless

14. Likes:

757690 (06-19-2021),REDREAD (06-19-2021),Wonderful Monds (06-18-2021)

yes.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (06-19-2021)

I’ve hated this ownership group for a while, mostly because they do a bunch of half measures which is almost worse than just having the Pirates ownership and having no hope.

But alas I don’t see any other options but to ride it out.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

18. Likes:

bm1475 (06-19-2021),CarolinaRedleg (06-19-2021),REDREAD (06-19-2021),Wonderful Monds (06-18-2021)

I’ve hated this ownership group for a while, mostly because they do a bunch of half measures which is almost worse than just having the Pirates ownership and having no hope.

But alas I don’t see any other options but to ride it out.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

20. Likes:

redsfanmia (06-19-2021)

This club has guys pumped to compete every freaking game. What WOULD happen is IF ownership/GM DID follow through and boost this club with impactful acquisitions to move forward and have a deeper club in pitching???????????????????? These guys would be as committed to winning as humanly possible. This team has a winning attitude and hustle and chutzpah we haven't seen in a Reds team in a long time. DON'T blow it Krall and Big Man Castellini.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (06-19-2021)

What can we do other than hope Castellini's out of there soon and the next owner understands that investing to build a winner and profiting (from that eventual winner) don't have to be mutually exclusive.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (06-19-2021)

26. Likes:

M2 (06-18-2021),SomeCallMeTim (06-19-2021)

I know it's horrible for you. But, goddamn if smoking doesn't make everyone look badass.

Name:  tumblr_lox28hmJVX1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  143.4 KB

Turn Off Ads?