Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Anyone else at a breaking point with ownership?

Re: Anyone else at a breaking point with ownership?

Man, I hate people that buy professional sports teams strictly as an investment, and not a hobby.

It's a legal monopoly.

And it's like one shiester after another...

Even if they did sell the team, someone else would milk the franchise in the same way.

We're the Flyover State chumps. "Just lucky to even have a team, as ungrateful as we are..."
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Likes:

REDREAD (07-28-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Anyone else at a breaking point with ownership?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Man, I hate people that buy professional sports teams strictly as an investment, and not a hobby.

It's a legal monopoly.

And it's like one shiester after another...

Even if they did sell the team, someone else would milk the franchise in the same way.

We're the Flyover State chumps. "Just lucky to even have a team, as ungrateful as we are..."
    We are chumps. Well said. We waste time thinking and typing our thoughts on something no one that matters reads or even truly cares about. Is there even any precedence for fans, media or anyone causing real change? It’s barely even entertaining anymore. I haven’t turned Bally Sports in since Milwaukee. I paid $120 a month for this cable and I literally don’t watch a single other channel. I listen on my mlb audio that I pay something for too. I have bought 30 plus tickets this year, gear and food/drinks and I get nothing for it but short term love of my home team and watch this abomination of a bullpen F it up, all up, way more often than not.

Thanks owners. You really suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

5. Likes:

MR X (07-28-2021),REDREAD (07-28-2021)

The fact of the matter is that Cast just doesn't care. Someday when I am not at my current job, I will tell you all about the conversation I was privy to between the owner of a baseball team on the east coast and BobC's brother moaning about small market woes and not being able to compete. That was five years ago.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

7. Likes:

Griffey012 (07-27-2021),Patrick Bateman (07-28-2021),REDREAD (07-28-2021),Tom Servo (07-27-2021),wlf WV (07-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    The fact of the matter is that Cast just doesn't care. Someday when I am not at my current job, I will tell you all about the conversation I was privy to between the owner of a baseball team on the east coast and BobC's brother moaning about small market woes and not being able to compete. That was five years ago.
    Quit your job immediately. Must. Hear.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

dreghorntwo (07-28-2021),Griffey012 (07-27-2021),REDREAD (07-28-2021),wally post (07-28-2021),wlf WV (07-28-2021)

Yes. We have a team that can mash. We have enough starting pitching, and this huge heel of a bullpen.

This was a problem before the year ever started and still is. I actually think Bell has worked magic with these guys.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (07-28-2021),wlf WV (07-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Quit your job immediately. Must. Hear.
    Unfortunately for us, successful lawyers usually don’t quit their jobs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

"It is more profitable for me to have a team that is in contention for most of the season but finishes about fourth. A team like that will draw well enough for the first part of the season to show a profit for the year. And you don't have to give the players raises when they don't win."
    ​Connie Mack
    Go Gators!

14. Likes:

Bob Sheed (07-28-2021),Chip R (07-28-2021),REDREAD (07-28-2021),Roy Tucker (07-28-2021),wally post (07-28-2021),wlf WV (07-28-2021)

I could buy them losing money last year with no fans and more than likely some givebacks as far as TV money goes - which every team went through. But owning a franchise in MLB is quite different than owning a regular business. If you or I owned a business and we lost money for a year or so, we may have to close or sell. Of course we could always muddle through and hope things turn around. It's common that businesses lose money for a few years when they first start out. MLB is different though. They have no real competition as far as baseball goes. Also remember, through accounting methods they can avoid paying a lot of taxes.

https://www.propublica.org/article/t...lions-in-taxes

It's important to remember - especially over the winter when the current CBA expires - that TV networks keep increasing the amount they pay to air games. If the baseball business is so bad why did the Mets sell for almost $2.5B?

The Reds could stand to "lose" money for a year or two to upgrade the team. That is what the Padres are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

16. Likes:

REDREAD (07-28-2021),Wonderful Monds (07-28-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Two trades in the last 12 hours. Took them long enough but at least they’re putting their money where their mouth is to some degree.

Wish they could’ve picked up Daniel Hudson, Cessa and Givens are good pieces but idk if they fill the massive hole in the backend as much as needed. Won’t complain too much about it though.

18. Likes:

Bob Sheed (07-28-2021),REDREAD (07-28-2021),Stray (07-29-2021)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    #Reds have picked up about $2.8M in salary from their trades with Yankees and Rockies, so they had some money to spend.

Still more time until Friday's 4 p.m. trade deadline.

Turn Off Ads?