Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Bob Castellini: “If we have an opportunity to improve the bullpen, we will."

Re: Bob Castellini: “If we have an opportunity to improve the bullpen, we will."

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Herd View Post
    O’Brien has walked 22 in 39 innings. That doesn’t seem to bode well for future MLB success, especially short term.
    As a starter, 1 inning of relief is completely different than 5 innings as a starter.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

Mitri (06-25-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bob Castellini: “If we have an opportunity to improve the bullpen, we will."

Meanwhile, if Gray comes back healthy, I like Gray, Miley, Mahle, Castillo and Santillan as a rotation.

That would kick Vlad and Hoffman into relief roles. Maybe their stuff would “play up” there, not sure. Add in Lorenzen and you at least have some new faces in the pen. Still need to add, but that’s a better scenario than currently, assuming health cooperates.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    As a starter, 1 inning of relief is completely different than 5 innings as a starter.
    If there is one thing I have learned from Jose De Leon, it's that command doesn't necessarily get better upon moving to the pen.
    Last edited by CaiGuy; 06-25-2021 at 12:18 PM.

We’ll never know how O’Brien’s stuff plays in the big league bullpen until he pitches there. And I don’t really see much of a window for him to be a starter anyway. The current bullpen situation is making me less patient that I know I should be.

7. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (06-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    If there is one thing I have learned from Jose De Leon, it's that command doesn't necessarily get better upon moving to the pen.
    Good point, everyone should be compared to Jose De Leon.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Good point, everyone should be compared to Jose De Leon.
    Nice snark, In all seriousness, with De Leon striking everyone out even as a starter, I liked him going to the bullpen and thought he would be good there. I was wrong. Lack of command is lack of command in any role.

So if a AAA starter is having trouble throwing strikes, I don't hold too much hope for them in the majors in any role.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Maybe right overall, but DeLeon has done ok for Reds and AAA this year when limited to one inning relief.

For Reds - Jose had three good 1-inning outings. Once, he pitched less than an inning against DBacks and did poorly. All the rest were more than an inning, including starts.

In the minors, in June of this year, he’s been used 5 times as a one-inning (or less) reliever and he’s done ok for 4.2 innings, 4 Ks, 1 BB, 1 HR, 1 run.

As a 1-inning reliever, he may indeed be better, with better command. Reds’ system is using him that way now.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-25-2021 at 02:00 PM.

Turn Off Ads?