Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Castellini: “If we have an opportunity to improve the bullpen, we will."

Re: Bob Castellini: “If we have an opportunity to improve the bullpen, we will."

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Where’s the Simpsons meme of Troy McClure going into their creators office and being told. Get outta my office! With a gun being pointed at him. That’s your answer Krall. You should have been in his office by the end of April.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

2. Likes:

NebraskaRed (06-22-2021),Tony Cloninger (06-22-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bob Castellini: “If we have an opportunity to improve the bullpen, we will."

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    One needs to understand the fine print that goes with "if we have the opportunity", and what one's definition of the word "if" is. LOL
    “If The Reds have the opportunity to improve the bullpen, while also spending less than zero dollars to do so, and also giving up zero players of any value, then sure, yea, we might consider that. Otherwise, enjoy your complimentary Sean Doolittle and try not to make a fuss.”
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

5. Likes:

GAC (06-22-2021),REDREAD (06-22-2021)

what a tool. how many games is this bullpen going to blow before he "addresses it"? how many games will the reds be back by then?

this ownership group and front office is pathetic. reds have at least 5-6 guys in their pen that have no business being in MLB. the "throw stuff against the wall and hope some of it sticks" approach has failed miserably.

7. Likes:

GAC (06-22-2021),mth123 (06-22-2021),Number_Fourteen (06-22-2021),REDREAD (06-22-2021)

I refuse to blame the GM when I know the problem is entirely Castellini. It's like blaming Marvin Lewis/Duke Tobin for not going out and signing marquee free agents instead of Mike Brown.

It's not like Krall can come out and say "hey, I'd love to add bullpen arms, but my boss won't give me any money to get it done".

Castellini's quote says it all. If he planned to give the organization more money to add bullpen talent, he'd be direct.

9. Likes:

RedCanuck (06-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    “If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"
    "we don't need no ... competent relievers" *GUITAR*

Ah, well, nevertheless.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

12. Likes:

BillDoran (06-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    I refuse to blame the GM when I know the problem is entirely Castellini. It's like blaming Marvin Lewis/Duke Tobin for not going out and signing marquee free agents instead of Mike Brown.

It's not like Krall can come out and say "hey, I'd love to add bullpen arms, but my boss won't give me any money to get it done".

Castellini's quote says it all. If he planned to give the organization more money to add bullpen talent, he'd be direct.
    Krall deserves some blame. More than one person can be at fault. Billy Beane is told every year there is no extra money and he figures it out. Krall didn’t and does not even try.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

14. Likes:

BillDoran (06-22-2021),jwdoc77 (06-22-2021),mth123 (06-22-2021),REDREAD (06-22-2021),Revering4Blue (06-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Krall deserves some blame. More than one person can be at fault. Billy Beane is told every year there is no extra money and he figures it out. Krall didn’t and does not even try.
    Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__
    @EnquirerDoc
    spoke with Reds owner Bob Castellini and GM Nick Krall.

Castellini said, "If we have an opportunity to improve the bullpen, we will.”

Krall: "Bob mentioned that if we need something, come and ask him, he’s open to it.”
    Unlike Billy Beane, Krall isn't the conductor on this train. Bob is.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Herd View Post
    Unlike Billy Beane, Krall isn't the conductor on this train. Bob is.
    False.

Billy Beane has to beg the owner of the A’s for money. Lol, was literally depicted in a movie.

All that quote shows is Krall has NOT EVEN TRIED.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

17. Likes:

REDREAD (06-22-2021),Revering4Blue (06-22-2021)

In Sheldon’s article yesterday, Krall said that Reds are “trying to get healthy first” and then will “figure out how to best go from there.”

I thought that suggested a lack of urgency and, perhaps, running out the clock. Let’s put off any action until it’s potentially too late. A bit different tone than the quote from Bob.

But of course you have to take these quotes with a grain of salt. Nobody is giving away any strategic planning in public statements. And the comments are all vague and can be construed in different ways. As always, we’ll see.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-22-2021 at 09:53 AM.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (06-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    False.

Billy Beane has to beg the owner of the A’s for money. Lol, was literally depicted in a movie.

All that quote shows is Krall has NOT EVEN TRIED.
    No, what I'm arguing is that if Beane wanted to do a payroll neutral move, he would be allowed to because he's the head of Baseball Operations for the A's. Krall isn't, Bob is. Krall has to get permission to do everything.

We have no idea if Krall has tried anything or not. All we know is that Bob hasn't approved anything yet, since nothing has happened.
    Last edited by Moose Herd; 06-22-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Herd View Post
    No, what I'm arguing is that if Beane wanted to do a payroll neutral move, he would be allowed to because he's the head of Baseball Operations for the A's. Krall isn't, Bob is. Krall has to get permission to do everything.

We have no idea if Krall has tried anything or not. All we know is that Bob hasn't approved anything yet, since nothing has happened.
    And we know Bob likes to meddle, and we know Bob has final say in terms of any decision that is made. But sure, let's make sure we push some blame to Krall.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

22. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (06-22-2021),Coopdaddy67 (06-22-2021),Moose Herd (06-22-2021),Ron Madden (06-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    In Sheldon’s article yesterday, Krall said that Reds are “trying to get healthy first” and then will “figure out how to best go from there.”

I thought that suggested a lack of urgency and, perhaps, running out the clock. Let’s put off any action until it’s potentially too late. A bit different tone than the quote from Bob.

But of course you have to take these quotes with a grain of salt. Nobody is giving away any strategic planning in public statements. And the comments are all vague and can be construed in different ways. As always, we’ll see.
    How does a team try to get healthy midseason? As some of the injured players return to action, other players are likely to have injuries. As I said before the season, the team's goal needs be to build a depth of talent so that it can withstand injuries, not hope for luck that it will avoid injuries.

24. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-22-2021),Boss-Hog (06-22-2021),REDREAD (06-22-2021),Revering4Blue (06-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    And we know Bob likes to meddle, and we know Bob has final say in terms of any decision that is made. But sure, let's make sure we push some blame to Krall.
    The only blame for Krall IMO is that so much of payroll cuts came from pitching. The team could have been better balanced.

But of course the budget drives the train.

It’s no accident that Bob and Nick spoke to the media yesterday. They feel some heat from the public and a home stand is upcoming.

But while they’ll do some things at the deadline IMO, the real test will be this coming off-season. Was there a mere COVID blip in ramping up the team, or is lower payroll the new normal?
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-22-2021 at 10:13 AM.

26. Likes:

Griffey012 (06-22-2021),REDREAD (06-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The only blame for Krall IMO is that so much of payroll cuts came from pitching. The team could have been better balanced.

This assumes it was Krall's choice where the cuts came from.

Turn Off Ads?