Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do we really think that Tyler Naquin is below replacement level?

Re: Do we really think that Tyler Naquin is below replacement level?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    If the Reds fall out of it, Naquin should be shopped, hope someone offers something of value for him. A zero WAR player entering his final arb year doesn't help the Reds improve in 2022.

If that's the Reds outfield next year then they are going to be losers.
    Right now, he’s not replacement level. He’s on pace to be around a 2 win player. That will rise if he is used correctly as a corner OF.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yes, yes it does. But one day of performance doesn't make his month of June "better than meh".
    Actually, it literally did yesterday.

4. Likes:

Kc61 (06-23-2021),Mitri (06-23-2021),REDREAD (06-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Right now, he’s not replacement level. He’s on pace to be around a 2 win player. That will rise if he is used correctly as a corner OF.
    No, no he is not. If he were to hit most of the year like he did in April - then maybe but we are clearly witnessing the fact that he is not that kind of hitter.

6. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (06-23-2021)

No, no he is not. If he were to hit most of the year like he did in May - then maybe but we are clearly witnessing the fact that he is not that kind of hitter.
    Right now, he is not replacement level. If you want to argue that going forward, he will collapse, go for it, that might happen.

But again, right now, he is on pace to be around a 2 win player.

8. Likes:

Falls City Beer (06-23-2021),REDREAD (06-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    My expectation is that, when all is said and done, the Reds’ defense will prove a major cause of the team’s limitations.

Already we see that its FIP (runs strictly attributable to pitching) is much better than ERA (earned runs allowed). 4.40 FIP v 4.78 ERA.

As Reds fans the last couple of years, we’re kind of used to it. It doesn’t get discussed too much because the metrics are imprecise. Much more meat in discussing offensive and pitching stats.

Naquin has been a terrific find by the Reds. Some posters saw this early, not me, and they get kudos. I hope Reds keep him. But Reds also need to restructure the team to bring defense back.

Naquin in CF, Suarez at short, these aren’t roads to success.
    As long as they don’t move Suarez back to SS every day I think they can get by with the current defense. Senzel and Barerro should help in the second half. They’ll have to sit a good bat occasion but it will help the team.

Yes, yes it does. But one day of performance doesn't make his month of June "better than meh".
    It kind of does. He has a .861 OPS in June. It's how averages work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    As long as they don’t move Suarez back to SS every day I think they can get by with the current defense. Senzel and Barerro should help in the second half. They’ll have to sit a good bat occasion but it will help the team.
    For this year, whatever, fine. I don’t think you can re-structure the team mid-season. But for next season and thereafter, this defensive OF won’t work. They must address it.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-23-2021 at 01:35 PM.

Naquin has been a pleasant surprise with the bat, for sure. If used correctly (4th outfielder), i think he has value. He's leveled off a bit since his hot start, but he's basically providing the same level of production we would have expected from a healthy Moose. Offensively, he's filling that void.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Herd View Post
    It kind of does. He has a .861 OPS in June. It's how averages work.
    But averages aren't wins and losses. Naquin helped them win one game. The rest of the games in June he was a negative.

Personally, I like Naquin on the bench in a part time role. I hope they keep him for that, but the plan for 2022 should not include him starting in CF or RF or even as the LH half of a platoon. It just has the Jon Nunnally feel to it. Counting on a guy to repeat an outlier performance and watching a season go down the drain when he turns back into what he always was. Naquin is a lefty Chris Heisey. Not a bad guy to have on the roster. Not a good guy to hand a starting job to.

Keep Naquin, Trade Naquin, I don't really care as long as a trade brings back a useful piece for multiple seasons. Just don't write his name on any projected line-ups in ink and certainly not as the middle of the order guy he's been this year. .
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    But averages aren't wins and losses. Naquin helped them win one game. The rest of the games in June he was a negative.

Jesus, Joseph, and Mary...

Naquin:

June 861 OPS

Games 1-12, .924 OPS

Games 13-17 .192 OPS

Game 18-Yesterday, big ass game.

You guys really can look this stuff up before saying dumb **** like this. He had a 5 game slump.

Naquin is a lefty Chris Heisey.
    That's a pretty decent comparison. A guy like that has his uses. The good news is what Naquin's doing isn't a function of luck (.298 BABIP), so I don't expect him to turn into a pumpkin.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Herd View Post
    Jesus, Joseph, and Mary...

Naquin:

June 861 OPS

Games 1-12, .924 OPS

Games 13-17 .192 OPS

Game 18-Yesterday, big ass game.

You guys really can look this stuff up before saying dumb **** like this. He had a 5 game slump.
    We can all play games with numbers. The last 14 days (13 games) he's had a .722 OPS. Take out yesterday's 4 for 4 with a HR and its well below .700 while being a negative defender in CF. Looking at the game logs, he had a decent game on June 1, a good game on June 12 and a great game yesterday. He had a few ho hum games and he missed some time, but a lot meh in there IMO. This is the team's clean-up hitter.
    Last edited by mth123; 06-23-2021 at 04:03 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's a pretty decent comparison. A guy like that has his uses. The good news is what Naquin's doing isn't a function of luck (.298 BABIP), so I don't expect him to turn into a pumpkin.
    Hope you are right because the alternatives this year aren't appealing. But his career has seen good year, bad year,good year, bad year. I wouldn't plan on him as a staring player run producer for 2022 as many have suggested. RF will need a replacement for Castellanos when he walks. A Naquin/Aquino platoon would not be my plan. Those guys would be my bench players if I couldn't get value for them on the market.

Yeah, having an .800 OPS lefty bat in GAB is such a frivolity. I’d make him the 8th outfielder just to show him his place on the pecking order behind phenoms like Shogo.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (06-24-2021)

Hope you are right because the alternatives this year aren't appealing. But his career has seen good year, bad year,good year, bad year. I wouldn't plan on him as a staring player run producer for 2022 as many have suggested. RF will need a replacement for Castellanos when he walks. A Naquin/Aquino platoon would not be my plan. Those guys would be my bench players if I couldn't get value for them on the market.
    I'll worry about 2022 after the season. This looks like a good Naquin year. I'll take it. Though, back to the initial post in this thread, maybe throttle down the amount of CF he plays.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

22. Likes:

Moose Herd (06-23-2021)

Turn Off Ads?