Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Men's 100M US Olympic Trials...so many story lines

Re: Men's 100M US Olympic Trials...so many story lines

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Watch Samba win it all. He has the talent, and has run under 47.
    Maybe but that was in 2018. I just checked and he hasn't run under 48 in 2021. His best 400M time in 2021 is slow too for him.

https://www.worldathletics.org/athle...samba-14752208

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    For weed? That sucks.
    I would pay to see an all weed Olympics. Instead of gold medals, the winners each gets a bag of Jack in the Box tacos.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

4. Likes:

Hoosier Red (08-05-2021),M2 (07-03-2021)

94 people just in Oregon (59 in Multnomah County, where Portland is at) have died attributed to the heatwave we just had while the Olympic Trials were going on in Eugene. None from Lane County, where Eugene is at and the Olympic Trials were held.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    This is where you should have stopped your post. Then you could have agreed with the RTG and most of the rest of society.

The rules in place are moronic and beyond antiquated.
    Again, you think it matters how you feel about the rules.....it doesn't. Agreeing with the rest of "society" is not high on my list of priorities. I have been clear that I could care less if they removed weed from the list tomorrow. I honestly would not care if they removed heroin or morphine from the list, but not because they do not make you run faster.....but because I do not compete and it does not impact my life as long as the rules are the same for everyone. There are stupid rules and regulations throughout society, and we have to evaluate when we can risk breaking them. If a 4 lane highway has a posted 55 mph Speed Limit and I am one ticket away from losing my license..... outside of getting to an Emergency Room, there are not many reasons I should risk breaking the speed limit that everyone agrees is set too low. This young woman was likely on the verge of making millions post Olympics, and it angers me to see her throw it away. I know this type of athlete....they are not on the level of a typical NFL or NBA player....it is higher and to get to her level, her discipline and work ethic had to be at a whole different level in training for the Olympics. I struggle to understand why or how someone that has trained like I know she has would make such a poor decision. Athletes like her are special....and I am still not happy that she made such a huge mistake. Fwiw, while I did not like her initial tweet, I thought her interview was boss level in owning her mistake. She is young, and she will have another shot in 3 years if she wants it.
    Last edited by adkindo; 07-05-2021 at 12:14 AM.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

7. Likes:

texasdave (07-05-2021)

I may have to venture back here during the Olympics….I love track and field

Oh…Raj by .12

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    I may have to venture back here during the Olympics….I love track and field

Oh…Raj by .12
    The audiences in Eugene are filled with world-class athletes, mostly former.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    If she had used painkillers she also could have gotten an endorsement from big pharma. What a dummy!
    Hard to feel sorry for the guy. Messed with his own money when he didn't get vaccinated.
    I don't feel sorry at all for him. It was a major gamble and he lost. That said, now that he's tested positive, he should be in the same classification as the vaccinated.
    I don't really feel sorry for him. I just don't know what the PGA was doing. Either they think it's dangerous for him to be out there or they don't. Waiting for him to finish his third round before getting him out of there sends a pretty mixed message.
    A professional golfer with millions of dollars in winnings who travels on the circuit fails to get himself vaccinated until he comes into close contact with someone who is positive for covid. He then reportedly gets his first dose of the vaccine but still ends up testing positive. Do I feel sorry for this individual? Not at all.
    All of these quotes are in regards to Jon Rahm's dismissal at The Memorial basically saying: He should've known the rules.

Well, no matter how much you hate the rule, she should've known these rules and M2, BostonRed, StrikingOutLooking, and others would agree.

11. Likes:

DocRed (07-08-2021)

I'll take Bad Analogies for $1,200, Alex.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    All of these quotes are in regards to Jon Rahm's dismissal at The Memorial basically saying: He should've known the rules.

Well, no matter how much you hate the rule, she should've known these rules and M2, BostonRed, StrikingOutLooking, and others would agree.
    She actually DID know the rules and knowingly broke them. She said so herself in an interview afterwards. We can be compassionate for her situation sure but this case is as cut and dry as it comes...

14. Likes:

Hoosier Red (08-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    She actually DID know the rules and knowingly broke them. She said so herself in an interview afterwards. We can be compassionate for her situation sure but this case is as cut and dry as it comes...
    One thing I give her high marks for is owning it. She came right out and said I knew it was against the rules, I knew it could cost me and I did it anyway. You look at all the people that get popped for stuff in sports and its always "I did not do it", "I did not know the rules", "I've been set up" etc. In a period of time where no one takes responsibility for anything and its never anyone's fault, I found her honesty to be refreshing.

16. Likes:

DocRed (07-08-2021),Hoosier Red (08-05-2021),texasdave (07-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I agree that the punishment was as advertised. Still an incredibly dumb rule. This was an opportunity for them to purge the stupid off their books, and they ought to do it before the next case pops up.

Brommell just lost his first 100m in a year at a Diamond League event although he kinda slipped at the start. The finals were stacked with potentially 6 Olympic finalist in the meet in Brommel, Baker, Kerley, Simbine, Jacobs and DeGrasse. Baker won in a somewhat slow time of 9.91 +0.3

https://www.essentiallysports.com/tr...olympics-news/
    Last edited by DocRed; 07-10-2021 at 07:45 PM.

Also there was just a meet in Hungary where the top 3 women all had better or equal times to Sha'ccari Richardson at the US trials. I guess my point is Sha'ccari was a contender for a medal but was not the favorite for Gold IMO. For my money I would pick Fraser-Pryce, Elaine Thompson and maybe even Talou or Asher-Smith above her.
    Last edited by DocRed; 07-11-2021 at 10:00 AM.

I am kind of loving that the 400 hurdles has become the marquee event on the track for both the men and the women. Today's men's final was unreal.

Got to see a real gold medal today. Zach Apple’s dad works where I do and brought in his 4x100 freestyle relay medal. I got to see it before a big crowd gathered. Pretty cool.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

22. Likes:

Boss-Hog (08-03-2021),BuckeyeRed27 (08-03-2021),Hillsdale87 (08-03-2021),M2 (08-03-2021)

Turn Off Ads?