Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Men's 100M US Olympic Trials...so many story lines

Men's 100M US Olympic Trials...so many story lines

Wow.....Kenny Bednarek that finished 4th and ran 9.89 wind legal +0.8mph is left off the Olympic team (although he qualifies for the relays).

Really rooting for Trayvon Brommel who has had an injury plagued career who won at. 9.80

How about Fred Kerley a former 400M guy qualifying?? INSANE

Noah Lyles misses out on his Olympic double! He did not look good..I fear for his 200M

Does Christian Colemen even make this team?? Not a guarantee...

2. Likes:

texasdave (06-23-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Men's 100M US Olympic Trials...so many story lines

I've never heard of any of those guys. I'm definitely the sort to follow track and field exactly once every four years (five this time), but are any of those guys household names at this point? They clearly will be once they get to Tokyo (as the 100M guys always are), but I don't feel like any of those are guys the average person would know about coming in. Doesn't feel like there's a Carl Lewis or Usain Bolt in the group (yet). Am I wrong about that?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Wow.....Kenny Bednarek that finished 4th and ran 9.89 wind legal +0.8mph is left off the Olympic team (although he qualifies for the relays).

Really rooting for Trayvon Brommel who has had an injury plagued career who won at. 9.80

How about Fred Kerley a former 400M guy qualifying?? INSANE

Noah Lyles misses out on his Olympic double! He did not look good..I fear for his 200M

Does Christian Colemen even make this team?? Not a guarantee...
    I've seen Lyle in several meets this season, and he does not look like the 2019 Lyle. Maybe he sucks it up in the 200m.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I've never heard of any of those guys. I'm definitely the sort to follow track and field exactly once every four years (five this time), but are any of those guys household names at this point? They clearly will be once they get to Tokyo (as the 100M guys always are), but I don't feel like any of those are guys the average person would know about coming in. Doesn't feel like there's a Carl Lewis or Usain Bolt in the group (yet). Am I wrong about that?
    There was one in Donovan Brazier, but he crapped out in the 800, and failed to qualify.
    Last edited by texasdave; 06-23-2021 at 09:11 PM.

FYI 9.89 get's you Silver at the last Olympics and yet Bednarerk is left off the US individual team....crazy. US Olympic trials are arguably harder than the Olympics themselves and that's without the previous favorite for gold in Coleman.

8. Likes:

M2 (06-25-2021)

FYI 9.89 get's you Silver at the last Olympics and yet Bednarerk is left off the US individual team....crazy. US Olympic trials are arguably harder than the Olympics themselves and that's without the previous favorite for gold in Coleman.
    Bromell peaked at the 2016 Olympic trials too. Hopefully he keeps it rolling into the Olympics this time. Got a feeling it's going to take something in the 9.7's to win in Tokyo.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Bromell peaked at the 2016 Olympic trials too. Hopefully he keeps it rolling into the Olympics this time. Got a feeling it's going to take something in the 9.7's to win in Tokyo.
    I think Brommell can run that. I think he was probably holding back a bit with a history of 2 achilles injuries...zero reason to push it at the trials when the goal is the Olympics. He ran 9.77 recently. I can see him letting it fly at the Olympics. I don't see Baker or Kerley cracking that as they were giving it their all just to make the team. Checking World top times this year I don't see anyone challenging the US runners although I don't know exactly what their schedule is.

I think Brommell can run that. I think he was probably holding back a bit with a history of 2 achilles injuries...zero reason to push it at the trials when the goal is the Olympics. He ran 9.77 recently. I can see him letting it fly at the Olympics. I don't see Baker or Kerley cracking that as they were giving it their all just to make the team. Checking World top times this year I don't see anyone challenging the US runners although I don't know exactly what their schedule is.
    I'm thinking someone like Andre De Grasse is going to start ripping off fast times. Surprised Kerley is in the 100M mix as he was always more of 400M guy.

How about the 17 year old Erriyon Knighton making the Olympics in the 200m. Glad Noah Lyles won though...

Not 100M related, but a friend of mine lives in Eugene and is a USATF judge for the throwing events. The heat on the tarmac melted the soles on her shoes on Saturday.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

14. Likes:

M2 (06-28-2021)

More craziness in the 1500m Final. Cole Hocker who won and beat defending Olympic champion Mathew Centrowicz may not even go the Olympics as he currently does not have the standard to qualify right now but may depending on what other world athletes do this coming week. If not then fourth place finisher Craig Engles will go as he does have the Olympic standard.
    Last edited by DocRed; 06-28-2021 at 04:13 PM.

More craziness in the 1500m Final. Cole Hocker who won and beat defending Olympic champion Mathew Centrowicz may not even go the Olympics as he currently does not have the standard to qualify right now but may depending on what other world athletes do this coming week. If not then fourth place finisher Craig Engles will go as he does have the Olympic standard.
    Got to blame Hocker a bit for running such a tactical race when he knew he was short of the standard. Most of that field should have gone out and run for times. Instead Centrowicz got to the front and kept it slow knowing he had one of the better kicks and he was already under the qualifying time.

Oh, and Sydney McLaughlin breaking the 400H world record was pretty stellar. She may go under 50 before she's done.

17. Likes:

DocRed (06-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Got to blame Hocker a bit for running such a tactical race when he knew he was short of the standard. Most of that field should have gone out and run for times. Instead Centrowicz got to the front and kept it slow knowing he had one of the better kicks and he was already under the qualifying time.

Oh, and Sydney McLaughlin breaking the 400H world record was pretty stellar. She may go under 50 before she's done.
    She has incredible speed. I would bet money she would win the 400m too if she just ran that.

19. Likes:

M2 (06-29-2021)

She has incredible speed. I would bet money she would win the 400m too if she just ran that.
    Match race in the 400: Sydney McLaughlin vs. Athing Mu.

21. Likes:

DocRed (06-29-2021)

I work in the same building with a guy who’s son qualified for the 100M freestyle, Zach Apple.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

23. Likes:

Boss-Hog (06-29-2021),cumberlandreds (06-30-2021),DocRed (06-30-2021),M2 (06-29-2021),texasdave (06-29-2021)

Turn Off Ads?